Descendant of Dominicans

Cltaylor23

Feb 17, 2010
The direct descendants of Dominicans resident abroad should have the right to Dominican Citizenship according to the constitution. Would this apply to someone who is a U.S. Citizen, who's Father's side is American but is born to a mother who was born in the United States with US citizenship, who's parents (the mothers parents/the subject in questions grandparents on the mothers side) were both native born Dominicans?

Sorry if that's a bit hard to follow.

Also what process would that person use to get their citizenship if applicable?

Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
The direct descendants of Dominicans resident abroad should have the right to Dominican Citizenship according to the constitution. Would this apply to someone who is a U.S. Citizen, who's Father's side is American but is born to a mother who was born in the United States with US citizenship, who's parents (the mothers parents/the subject in questions grandparents on the mothers side) were both native born Dominicans?

Thanks.

Just put up a picture scheme. So your grandparents are Dominicans and you want to know if you qualify for citizenship, correct?

A legal expert can answer, but if your mother is still alive and has no Dominican citizenship, she can apply for one because her parents were Dominican citizens. Step two, once she is citizen you can apply for citizenship as well. If she is deceased, a legal expert would need to chime in and answer if it's possible for you to apply for citizenship under such circumstances, or whether it's possible for you to apply for citizenship directly (without involving your mother, even if she is still alive).

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I so thought this would be another rant against Dominicans. I for one am glad it's not; there are too many of those threads already.

We might want to get the spelling fixed in the title, as the true topic is a totally different word.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I so thought this would be another rant against Dominicans. I for one am glad it's not; there are too many of those threads already.

We might want to get the spelling fixed in the title, as the true topic is a totally different word.

Title fixed.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Thanks.

Someone else who knows more about grandchildren rights will hopefully speak up. As far as the child of Dominicans, it's an easy process. Here is a link to the requirements:

Consulado Dominicano en Nueva York CIUDADANIA DOMINICANA

Cltaylor23

Feb 17, 2010
Just put up a picture scheme. So your grandparents are Dominicans and you want to know if you qualify for citizenship, correct?

A legal expert can answer, but if your mother is still alive and has no Dominican citizenship, she can apply for one because her parents were Dominican citizens. Step two, once she is citizen you can apply for citizenship as well. If she is deceased, a legal expert would need to chime in and answer if it's possible for you to apply for citizenship under such circumstances, or whether it's possible for you to apply for citizenship directly (without involving your mother, even if she is still alive).

I know this would be one way to go. I really wanted to know if there would be a way to skip the intermediate step. I figured it would probably involve getting both the grandmother and mothers birth certificate or something like that.