selling car...

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hola, Im thinking about selling my truck

Of course I have the paper under my name. What is the procedure to transfer it to the buyer?
:)

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011

Where do I do the PP certificate, I live in Sosua
Who must pay the transfer tax, buyer or seller?

Jan 9, 2004
You have to:

1. Make up a contract and get it signed by buyer and seller and notarized.(money changes hands)
2. Have it legalized
3. Have the car checked at Plan Piloto-get certficate
4. Take contract, registration, and PP certificate to DGII to pay transfer tax and change registration to buyers name.

JD:

I know you just did this as a buyer.... but does the seller not have to turn in the Matricula (Title) so that it can be reissued in the new buyers name? At what point, and to whom is the Matricula surrendered?

Remember, the OP is a seller.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
Once the contract is signed, the vehicle technically belongs to the buyer, and the matricula should be given to the buyer with the sellers signature on the reverse side, although it doesn't seem to be a steadfast requirement.

I strongly recommend the seller accompany the buyer to DGII to confirm the buyer pays the tax and receives a new matricula in their name and completes the process.

If they don't, they run the risk of the buyer not completing the transaction(because they don't want to pay the tax), and the vehicle remains under the sellers name at DGII.

That can cause problems if the buyer has an accident.

My question was a bit rhetorical in nature.....but as you just did a transfer....your information would be up to date. I have not sold in 3 years and wanted updated information for the benefit of new members here.

The bolded sentence above should be set in stone. I have always had someone accompany a buyer to DGII to insure the transfer was completed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Once the contract is signed, the vehicle technically belongs to the buyer, and the matricula should be given to the buyer with the sellers signature on the reverse side, although it doesn't seem to be a steadfast requirement.

I strongly recommend the seller accompany the buyer to DGII to confirm the buyer pays the tax and receives a new matricula in their name and completes the process.

If they don't, they run the risk of the buyer not completing the transaction(because they don't want to pay the tax), and the vehicle remains under the sellers name at DGII.

That can cause problems if the buyer has an accident.

As JDJones many dominicans don't do the 'Traspaso' so save money on the tax, I've had this issue in the past twice, if this ever happens to you, just go to DGII and tell them you want to block the Matricula, and they will block it from you, or you can create a release (even though this is already in the contract of sale), so when he tries to sell the car or anything, he won't be able to do it, since you have the matricula blocked.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Many do not do the 'traspaso'.

Whatever you do as the seller of a vehicle in this country, make sure that the original 'matricula' does not reach the hands of the buyer before it is put in his name.
There are several ways to achieve this, simply do it!

donP