Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving in the DR - What does it mean when.....

Hi all,
    So I am used to driving in the UK and saw something on the roads in the DR I didn't understand and would like some help on.

Driving down the road, there was a sort of cross roads up ahead. The road on the right was more like a sliproad as it was not at 90 degrees to the part I was on. On the side road there was a solid white line and a vehicle coming down that road to join the one I was on (it would need to cross my carriageway) stopped at the line. Above the road was a gantry and over my side of the road was two sets of lights, three red and next to them (on the right) three amber, all flashing.

At the risk of sounding an idiot, what do the lights mean?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRDreamer72 View Post
    Hi all,
    So I am used to driving in the UK and saw something on the roads in the DR I didn't understand and would like some help on.

Driving down the road, there was a sort of cross roads up ahead. The road on the right was more like a sliproad as it was not at 90 degrees to the part I was on. On the side road there was a solid white line and a vehicle coming down that road to join the one I was on (it would need to cross my carriageway) stopped at the line. Above the road was a gantry and over my side of the road was two sets of lights, three red and next to them (on the right) three amber, all flashing.

At the risk of sounding an idiot, what do the lights mean?
    The only meaning of traffic signals in DR, is "Head's Up" there might be cars crossing the intersection on Green / Red / Yellow, as RED does not mean stop in DR, it means others have the right of way but proceed!

3. Likes DRDreamer72, zoomzx11 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Not entirely true, try going through a red light in Santo Domingo or Santiago without being waived through by AMET and see what happens.

5. Likes curlando, caribmike liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Not entirely true, try going through a red light in Santo Domingo or Santiago without being waived through by AMET and see what happens.
    I was being semi-facetious my freng.

7. Likes TP666, bizzyboneizo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would understand this is Spanish better! Sliproad? Gantry? Cross road =Intersection???

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    I think I would understand this is Spanish better! Sliproad? Gantry? Cross road =Intersection???
    That post is a perfect example of the difference between British and American/Canadian English. I read it 3 times and I'm still not sure.....

Administrator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    That post is a perfect example of the difference between British and American/Canadian English. I read it 3 times and I'm still not sure.....
    I read it 3 times too and then just gave up LMAO!

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Q4fc9bU_I

This is a typical DR driving license theory exam posted on you tube. There are a whole bunch of related you tube videos in the comments and to the side which may well answer the OP.

Unfortunately the Highway Code for DR.......the 'Manual de Conduccion y Seguridad de Vial' doesn't appear to be available on line and you only get it shortly before ones theory test. lol

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read the OP over and over again, and suspect the flashing red on what would be the left side of the carriageway at the intersection means that the driver must 'detenerse' (slow down. pause, pull up) presumably because a vehicle could cross from the left, and the flashing amber on the inner lanes means 'detenerse' if needed for vehicles joining or attempting to cross?? from the right.

Sounds mad.....unless traffic from right can only join carriageway and not cross.

13. Likes DRDreamer72 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    In Santo Domingo I do not know because I did not driving in SD. In Santiago where I drive my children to school every day, happens absolut NOTHING when driving through a red light. Reason nr 1 no Amet, number 2 the Amet dealing with other less important things like helmet checking

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast