Driving in the DR - What does it mean when.....

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Hi all,
So I am used to driving in the UK and saw something on the roads in the DR I didn't understand and would like some help on.

Driving down the road, there was a sort of cross roads up ahead. The road on the right was more like a sliproad as it was not at 90 degrees to the part I was on. On the side road there was a solid white line and a vehicle coming down that road to join the one I was on (it would need to cross my carriageway) stopped at the line. Above the road was a gantry and over my side of the road was two sets of lights, three red and next to them (on the right) three amber, all flashing.

At the risk of sounding an idiot, what do the lights mean?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Hi all,
So I am used to driving in the UK and saw something on the roads in the DR I didn't understand and would like some help on.

Driving down the road, there was a sort of cross roads up ahead. The road on the right was more like a sliproad as it was not at 90 degrees to the part I was on. On the side road there was a solid white line and a vehicle coming down that road to join the one I was on (it would need to cross my carriageway) stopped at the line. Above the road was a gantry and over my side of the road was two sets of lights, three red and next to them (on the right) three amber, all flashing.

The only meaning of traffic signals in DR, is "Head's Up" there might be cars crossing the intersection on Green / Red / Yellow, as RED does not mean stop in DR, it means others have the right of way but proceed!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not entirely true, try going through a red light in Santo Domingo or Santiago without being waived through by AMET and see what happens.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think I would understand this is Spanish better! Sliproad? Gantry? Cross road =Intersection???

That post is a perfect example of the difference between British and American/Canadian English. I read it 3 times and I'm still not sure.....

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Q4fc9bU_I

This is a typical DR driving license theory exam posted on you tube. There are a whole bunch of related you tube videos in the comments and to the side which may well answer the OP.

Unfortunately the Highway Code for DR.......the 'Manual de Conduccion y Seguridad de Vial' doesn't appear to be available on line and you only get it shortly before ones theory test. lol

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I've read the OP over and over again, and suspect the flashing red on what would be the left side of the carriageway at the intersection means that the driver must 'detenerse' (slow down. pause, pull up) presumably because a vehicle could cross from the left, and the flashing amber on the inner lanes means 'detenerse' if needed for vehicles joining or attempting to cross?? from the right.

Sounds mad.....unless traffic from right can only join carriageway and not cross.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Not entirely true, try going through a red light in Santo Domingo or Santiago without being waived through by AMET and see what happens.

In Santo Domingo I do not know because I did not driving in SD. In Santiago where I drive my children to school every day, happens absolut NOTHING when driving through a red light. Reason nr 1 no Amet, number 2 the Amet dealing with other less important things like helmet checking

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
As a Brit you drive here with a driving test and rules and regulations in your head. In the Caribbean don't expect this. I was in a guaga today with my spouse and we were both shocked that the chofer would look right then left at red traffic lights and if the coast was clear he would go. Americans would also marvel that they would ride the length and breadth of this country And see fewer accidents than a morning commute.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Meaning

Hi all, So I am used to driving in the UK and saw something on the roads in the DR I didn't understand and would like some help on.

It means that you are in the Dominican Republic. :classic:
Here traffic lights, signs and signals, lines, etc. are put because other countries also have them.
However, here they do not have any meaning at all. :bunny:

verkehr_zpsr5tnfcbm.jpg

donP

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
If you are of the gringo tribe,

Red, right in front of you,above (gantry) or on either side of your carriageway means STOP.

Any other combination is meaningless and depends on the conditions; time of day, presence of AMET, PMT week, big lorries ('Trucks' for you uncomprehending colonials),rain,shine,coffee deprivation,need to get somewhere etc..

If you are a local, or have lived here long enough to think you are, then all signals and road rules are subject to any interpretation.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Knowing that traffic light rules are enforced for gringos, I always stop, much to the annoyance of the Dominicans behind me.

And as an Englishman - allow me to translate for those of you not familiar with our version of the language:
Sliproad: A road which joins or leaves a motorway - sorry - highway.
Gantry: A structure above a road which carries signs or traffic lights.
Cross roads: A junction - sorry - intersection where one road crosses another.

By the way, how did you like "carriageway" in the OP?

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Knowing that traffic light rules are enforced for gringos, I always stop, much to the annoyance of the Dominicans behind me.

And as an Englishman - allow me to translate for those of you not familiar with our version of the language:
Sliproad: A road which joins or leaves a motorway - sorry - highway.
Gantry: A structure above a road which carries signs or traffic lights.
Cross roads: A junction - sorry - intersection where one road crosses another.

By the way, how did you like "carriageway" in the OP?

Thank you for that. Two countries separated by a common language are the UK and US.

Yellow flashing lights mean caution in the UK (as they do here and in the US)?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Most Dominicans drive however they like and pay no attention to lights, signs etc often drunk. The more expensive the car the faster they go on the highway. They are liable to do anything and you need to be ready. Its not who has the right of way, the sign said or the lights. You just have to look out all the time. They will pass on blind corners, pass on left or right. My favorite is when you are backing up and pedestrians walk behind the car. They do it all the time. Its not like in the real world where there are rules and regs and most follow them. My solution is the wife drives except on the main highways. The last thing you want to have happen is you, a gringo, find yourself in a Dominican court with Dominican lawyers embroiled in the crazy judicial system. Walking is good for you unless a drunk driver runs you over which happens a lot.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Try giving us a location in specific...it sounds like you came across an intersection that is heavily used for cross traffic that could possibly lead to a very busy terminal area or Zona Franca (sweat shops) with a service road adjacent to the road you were travelling on. Flashing red is the same as stop, only you may continue if safe to do so after the full stop. The flashing yellow is meant forthe adjacent and sliproad traffic to use caution approaching the intersection. This is just my possible interpretation.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Thank you for that. Two countries separated by a common language are the UK and US.

Yellow flashing lights mean caution in the UK (as they do here and in the US)?

Yes, and in this case we Brits can't say you ruined our language, because we all got cars and roads about the same time.

Correct that yellow flashing lights mean caution in the UK.