Dominican hoteliers eye US$300.0M highway Santiago ? Puerto Plata to drum up business

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Santo Domingo.- The major executives of the Playa Dorada hotels on Wednesday proposed a new road to link Santiago and Puerto Plata province, to reduce the time and cost for motorists headed to the resort region known as the ?Bride of the Atlantic.?

They said the ?Atlantic Highway? road project -to be built by the government- would include the 18 kilometers from the Santiago Beltway to regional highway #5, just five minutes from the resort area.

The cost for the four lane, 35 kilometer road could reach US$300 million, financed through the RD-Vial state road trust.

Playa Dorada Hotel Association president Marcos Villanueva said once built the road will be a major boost to the region?s tourism, which will be closer to Santiago?s airport and especially the capital, reducing travel time to and from Puerto Plata to just two hours.

The Ministry of Public Works has announced that it will expand to four lanes the 63 km Puerto Plata-Navarrette highway to reduce travel times for those arriving by the new Amber Cove Cruise Ship terminal that opens in October that is expected to bring around 300,000 tourists a year to visit the northern region.

The hoteliers say that the new Autopista del Atlantico would mean a reduction from an hour travel time at present to 30 minutes. The highway is estimated to cost US$300 million. The highway would make it possible to get from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata in 2.5 hours, down from the present 3.5 hours. This would be comparable to Punta Cana that now is 2.5 hours from Santo Domingo after the construction of the Coral Highway.

The proposal for the Atlantic Highway would start at Km. 18 of the new Santiago Bypass and would end five kilometers from Playa Dorada. It would be a four-lane highway that would cross the Cordillera Septentrional, the northern mountain range.

The businessmen say that the proposed toll of RD$200 would pay for 60% of the needed investment. They estimate 10,000 vehicles a day will use the highway in the first year, increasing to 17,500 by the 10th year. They want the highway project to receive funding from the Fiduciaria RD Vial, a fund created from tolls collected in the Dominican Republic.

The businessmen consider the highway a priority for the relaunching of Puerto Plata as a tourist destination. The location of the new road would also connect to the Puerto Plata International Airport, making it possible for passengers to enter and depart by different airports. They point out that most of the land that the road would cross is owned by the Central Bank and are not in use. The possibility of the construction of the highway was first proposed by the Ministry of Public Works that has carried out the preliminary studies.

Source: DT, DR1, Hoy

July 16, 2015

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Every now and again some road like this comes up. There was talk of a toll road being built by a foreign group that would screw the DR like the other hardly used toll road in the south that is being "renegotiated" now.

Will there be a new road?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A far better way to increase tourists to the area would be to drop the ridiculous taxes on airline tickets and reduce the price of airline fuel to be competitive with other vacation destinations.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
are there any statistics to see if the new Samana or Coral highways have had positive impacts on their respective areas?

Is PC better off? Is LT better?

Both trips are easier/shorter.

EG:
Our Cabrera trip to SD is not 4-5 hrs since the new toll road..... 2- 2.5 depending where in SD we go

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the logical conclusion is that they are trying to make it easier for locals to get to places like Playa Dorada. i see no other advantage , from a tourism standpoint. yes, the people who disembark at Santiago airport would get to POP faster and better, but there is an airport in the POP area already.

Rasputin

Jan 27, 2015
The lower costs of flying into Santiago and S Domingo I think are an incentive to promote more tourist arrivals in those areas. Cheaper airport fees allow travel companys to offer lower prices. Not many families want to fly into a place and then have to take a 5 hour bus ride to their hotel. if a one week stay at a resort in S Domingo is $200 cheaper than a resort in Puerto Plata just because of airport fees travellers will go to the cheaper option. Punta Cana will always be a cheaper option for airlines because there is nothing else in that town to attract visitors other than packaged trips. If it is cheaper, they will come.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The lower costs of flying into Santiago and S Domingo I think are an incentive to promote more tourist arrivals in those areas. Cheaper airport fees allow travel companys to offer lower prices. Not many families want to fly into a place and then have to take a 5 hour bus ride to their hotel. if a one week stay at a resort in S Domingo is $200 cheaper than a resort in Puerto Plata just because of airport fees travellers will go to the cheaper option. Punta Cana will always be a cheaper option for airlines because there is nothing else in that town to attract visitors other than packaged trips. If it is cheaper, they will come.

very insightful analysis. it is very important to note that the tour operators are the ones who decide where the lift goes, and since profit margins in the tours business are razor thin, they will send the planes to the destinations where there is a greater chance of making a profit. high tax areas like POP are dead in the water.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would gladly pay 200 pesos for a proper highway to PP from Santiago. Keep the old road and make trucks and motos use it. Limit the new road to bus, cars, passenger vehicles.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I would gladly pay 200 pesos for a proper highway to PP from Santiago. Keep the old road and make trucks and motos use it. Limit the new road to bus, cars, passenger vehicles.

Me too. Trucks can have the old road all to themselves. They can hog the center of the road at 20mph to their hearts content!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the logical conclusion is that they are trying to make it easier for locals to get to places like Playa Dorada. i see no other advantage , from a tourism standpoint. yes, the people who disembark at Santiago airport would get to POP faster and better, but there is an airport in the POP area already.

The cost is sufficiently less to Santiago that the road could help with tourists flying to Santiago. We have had people fly to Punta Cana that rent from us in Cabarete because of flight costs. And it will speed the journey of the dozens of weekend buses visiting Sosua and Cabarete for the beaches.

I have even used Santo Domingo airport when the cost differences were so ridiculous and saved hundreds on airline tickets to the US.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, this week I picked up some people who came to Cabarete via Santiago because of lower cost. But they didn't enjoy the night journey over the winding, bumpy road over the hills through Jamao much.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Yes, this week I picked up some people who came to Cabarete via Santiago because of lower cost. But they didn't enjoy the night journey over the winding, bumpy road over the hills through Jamao much.

Wow, you are brave.. I would never do that trip at night.
always wait til the sun comes up, or do the bus thing.. those roads are bad enough duing the day, but at night. I dont even like to drive to and from Cabarete or to Puerta Plata.. in fact i dont even like to drive at night anywhere on the Autopistas unless I know the road like really well ..
Imagine a flat tire in the middle of the night , and all the bad stuff that can happen.
I would rather sleep in the woods in a tent, with Bears, not even joking.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I also offer a pick up service for people that rent from us. I only pick up from POP airport. They are on their own if they choose any other airport. I have driven all three ways to Santiago from Cabarete and I would not drive any of them at night even after knowing where each pot hole is.