Who are the most corrupt in the DR?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As part of a Gallup-Hoy poll conducted 1-5 July 2015, 1,200 persons eligible to vote in the 2016 Dominican elections were asked which sectors in Dominican society are corrupt. The poll’s results reveal that 79.1% of those surveyed consider that National Police is the most corrupt institution in the nation. Politicians did not fare much better. Nearly 75% of respondents feel that PRD politicians and high-ranking officials in the Medina administration are corrupt. Close to 70% of respondents believe lawyers are corrupt, followed by PLD politicians (68%), military personnel (63%) and middle-ranking government employees (59%). Union representatives are believed to be corrupt by 56% of respondents, followed by PRSC politicians (55%), bankers (49%) and left-leaning politicians (49%).

Forty eight percent of respondents feel that engineering contractors are corrupt, while 42% of those surveyed think businessmen are corrupt, followed by merchants (40%), artists (21%) and journalists (20%). Fifteen percent of respondents believe that physicians are corrupt, while only 9% of those surveyed think teachers are corrupt. Nineteen percent of the people surveyed believe that catholic priests are corrupt, while 15% of those polled feel that Christian ministers are corrupt.

Source: DR1

July 15, 2015

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
But when the average cop earns around $300 per month what do you expect?

What's the politician's excuse? They are driven by pure greed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Based upon subjective factors, I would say politicians are far ahead of the others.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Based upon subjective factors, I would say politicians are far ahead of the others.

well, it is a tie between politicians and the judiciary. if the legal system had honest people, politicians would have to cut back on the stealing.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
All these statistics are crap. everything is corrupt here

BUT......there is only 1 institution that is head and shoulders above the rest of all those mentioned above and there is absolutely no fact in denying it otherwise and that is the pendejos at ADUANAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The degree of corruption varies. I would say that in Leonels first term he made some serious progress in lower the corruption, especially at airports, but that didn't last.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
who is most corrupt? dominicans on the whole. they are the ones who give and take bribes.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, it's a shame the judiciary apparently weren't mentioned in the survey. Sort them out and the country could make a start on cleaning up the corruption.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
LOL @ the idea that toughening up judiciary system would make a difference. "Plomo o plata" policies all year round, if they choose the "honest" side of it, a harvesting of corpses would ensue. Not to mention the multiple presidential "pardons" that the judiciary system cannot control and other ways of keeping high end criminals out of jail. Home imprisonment or cell confinement (with the ability to take some "unofficial" weekend trips is the new wave too.

then you agree with my belief. corruption here has no solution.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I do agree with you on that. Unfortunately :(

Social, Systematic and Educational Reforms would need to occur and about 80-100 years of progressive enforcement of ideology changes need to occur.

It can happen but the individuals that have the power to make it happen are not benefited by this so they will never make it happen.

actually, the people with the power to effect the changes you outline actually benefit from corruption.