Do we have to worry about malaria also?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
malaria has always been present in DR but the number of cases is up this year, from 112 last year to 332 this year (up till 25th week of the year). you can check boletines epidemiologicos here: Documentos - DIGEPI

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Just use mosquito spray and you avoid Dengue, chickengunya and malaria. Mosquitoes are all over down here and you will get bitten. Otherwise its a gamble. Been using the spray for a long time. Never got sick and its a nice peace of mind. I even spray my Dom friends quite a bit from time to time.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
but spray only lasts about 2 hrs at most, sometimes only half an hour.....I dont use any during the day and rarely get bitten....the ants on the other hand love biting me...I would use spray if I went out for a meal in the evening though

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
The resorts in punta Cana don't have Mosquitos and nobody sprays here because the resorts FOG. You will see the odd mosquito here but chances are it's a "friendly". :D

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I rarely see mosquitoes at my place (PC) and I've had family down recently at 2 different resorts and they didn't mention any issues with mosquitoes or bites. First case I've heard of in a while. Would be interesting to see where they went while in PC.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i thought malaria had been eradicated in the DR....

mosquito knows no borders. haiti still registers relatively high number of cases so naturally some would also show in DR. i remember reading some time ago that many cases of malaria in DR were "imported", that is the person was infected in haiti but diagnosed and hospitalized in DR. but now there are more local cases.
http://www.who.int/malaria/publications/country-profiles/profile_hti_en.pdf
http://www.who.int/malaria/publications/country-profiles/profile_dom_en.pdf

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the recent drought is keeping the mosquito population down these days.... standing water is their habitat.
Haiti has plenty of that from poor sewage systems usually.

as an example, Cabrera has no water (public) today.... very dry

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hmmm, interesting.....
I wouldn't have thought that

Only 2 more dengues left for me.... but that's not a solicitation !!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
It does not matter how reduced the numbers are if only one infected mosquito bites you. Get Dengue and all your other trouble will diminish.