Long distance call options from Miami to Claro phone in Barahona

Aug 6, 2006
I have tried several long distance calling cards and companies, and I think all of them use some sort of VOIP.
The voice quality is lousy and I get cut off regularly.
Has anyone had experience with Magic Jack, Oooma or some other method that is better and preferably cheaper?
I have a landline in Miami and DSL and am calling a Claro phone in Barahona. Claro says they will install a landline to the house in Barahona for RD$2000 plus around RD $100 a month.

Thanks for your advice.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Are you trying to call a house or do you need someone who is mobile all the time? There's a solution for both.

You can do this yourself from the US

or

Get a VPN (you can sign up for free trials on plenty of them).

Connect to a US server with the VPN.

Create a brand new Gmail account.

Once you create the account in Gmail, get a Google Voice phone number.

You have to confirm the Google Voice with an already existing US number, make sure to do that or it won't work.

Once confirmed you can call the person at that phone number and it will ring when they have Gmail opened.

Or, if they have a cell phone sign into the Gmail account with Google Hangouts and go into settings to receive incoming calls.

When connected to Data or Wifi the cell phone will ring.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
Almost everyone have a smartphone app that can make free calls. If you too have WhatsApp, I message, google hangouts,Viber,etc. Calling is free as long as you two are using the same messenger. Like the other poster said, get a VPN. Better yet but a VPN router and connect a VoIP phone to it. The person in the Dr will now have a u.s. number you can call anytime

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Magic jack to another magic jack works very well to DR from USA. Whatsapp is free to another whatsapp user.
I have 2 androids, with one it is clear but I get feedback, the other is good. Skype app for voice costs a little, not bad, good
call quality. I also have an app called Groove IP lite, a calling app. Sometimes I get free calls to DR on it other time it
does not work.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you have internet in the DR just buy one Magic Jack and program it with a 305 or 786 number. Than you can call from any phone in Miami for free as it will be a local call from Miami. MJ works very good in the DR. I have been using one like this for many years with great quality.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
May be some available mods can move this to Living forum, please. This is related to everyone living here, not just on South-West Coast.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just tell the woman in Baharona to go to the Western Union office the first of every month!!!!!
No need to bother her with a call!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
I put this in the SW forum because it seems that the problem is a bad connection in that part of the country.
Feel free to move it if you wish.

The Magic Jack option sounds the best in my case.

To all those with advise, thanks.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Skype works well too. But now, hard to believe but true, better voice quality with whatsapp from U.S. to DR. VERY clear.