Heads up on new citizenship requirement

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Once you have been sworn in, you are then given a paper by the Ministry of Interior and Police which you can exchange for your Dominican birth certificate which then entitles you to your Dominican cedula and, should you want it, your Dominican passport. I am not quite at that stage but I have been contacted by someone who has told me of a minor hitch.

Dominican birth certificates have the parents' names (as do all birth certificates) but they also have their nationality and their cedula number. British and Canadian birth certs just have names - no nationalities and no ID card numbers. I have been told that they will not issue cedulas to new citizens if the birth certificate is incomplete.

So, if your birth certificate from your home country does not state the nationality nor national identification number of your parents then you need to take proof of that with you when your Dominican birth certificate is issued so that it can have all of the information on it. I would think that copies of passports will be sufficient. We will see.

Matilda

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Once you have been sworn in, you are then given a paper by the Ministry of Interior and Police which you can exchange for your Dominican birth certificate which then entitles you to your Dominican cedula and, should you want it, your Dominican passport. I am not quite at that stage but I have been contacted by someone who has told me of a minor hitch.

Dominican birth certificates have the parents' names (as do all birth certificates) but they also have their nationality and their cedula number. British and Canadian birth certs just have names - no nationalities and no ID card numbers. I have been told that they will not issue cedulas to new citizens if the birth certificate is incomplete.

So, if your birth certificate from your home country does not state the nationality nor national identification number of your parents then you need to take proof of that with you when your Dominican birth certificate is issued so that it can have all of the information on it. I would think that copies of passports will be sufficient. We will see.

Matilda

When will this country try to be like the rest of the world. They always want to show how smart they are by requiring you to produce A Certificate that does not have what they now want !

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Just like the good conduct from your place of birth. I never lived in the city of my birth only for 4-5 hours and they want the police there to tell them i am not a criminal ! What good is that !

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I am a USA citizen now. My parents are dead. I think the death certificate has the social security number on it? Passport number is not a national ID? Is it?

Rasputin

Jan 27, 2015
Wierd. Maybe I am missing the point. If I want to become a Dominican citizen, why would I need a fraudulent birth certificate stating I was born here when that is not the truth?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Everything here is based on a Birth Certificate. The DR birth certificate will say you were born wherever you were born, but your records from which everything is based here will be kept on a Dominican Birth Certificate kept in the Capital. I don't think anyone wanted to change the laws and system so adapted it to work this way for naturalized ciitzens. I don't really understand it fully...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The only national identification number in Canada is the SIN social insurance number but that doesnt have a photo on iit. Everytime you renew your passport you get a different number. Hmmmm we fjgure it out.

Carabum

May 7, 2015
For all folks getting Dominican citizenship is it just out of necessity to get other documents in here and keep staying in the country? or do you actually see any benefits whatsoever attached to becoming Dominican. Do you feel pride? Nationalism? Identify yourself with the country/culture?

Pride !
Nationalism !
Identify myself with the country/culture !

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I was under the impression that you were a resident with a resident ID and a cedula before you opted for citizenship. Why are you concerned about a birth certificate? Apologies if the question is too personal.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The only national identification number in Canada is the SIN social insurance number but that doesnt have a photo on iit. Everytime you renew your passport you get a different number. Hmmmm we fjgure it out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No such thing in the US as a national ID number

Matilda

I was considering citizenship so as to avoid the now ridiculous residency renewal process.

My NY State birth certificate does show my parents were born in the US. That might be good enough for nationality.

It does not show their "national ID numbers" or any other number since the US only has Social Security numbers and it states right on the cards that they are NOT TO BE USE for ID.
They never had passports. So it looks like there is no way to get such numbers for me. Even if Social Security numbers would function in this case, I do not know if I could obtain them. They are deceased.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I was considering citizenship so as to avoid the now ridiculous residency renewal process.

My NY State birth certificate does show my parents were born in the US. That might be good enough for nationality.

It does not show their "national ID numbers" or any other number since the US only has Social Security numbers and it states right on the cards that they are NOT TO BE USE for ID.
They never had passports. So it looks like there is no way to get such numbers for me. Even if Social Security numbers would function in this case, I do not know if I could obtain them. They are deceased.

It's more or less the same for me except my parents are still alive. Canadian SIN aren't supposed to be used for ID either. My birth Certificate does shown both my parents as Canadian with their birth places. My Dad was actually born in Maine to Canadian parents. That will confuse them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am a USA citizen now. My parents are dead. I think the death certificate has the social security number on it? Passport number is not a national ID? Is it?

I just checked a death certificate from California. No SS# on it.

The US has NO National ID number. Not the SS# (although it is sometimes used like one) and certainly not a Passport Number.
My parents never had passports.

I doubt that the Social Security Administration would disclose SS#'s even of dead people who were your parents.

A really stupid requirement for DR Citizenship if true.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I just checked a death certificate from California. No SS# on it.

The US has NO National ID number. Not the SS# (although it is sometimes used like one) and certainly not a Passport Number.
My parents never had passports.

I doubt that the Social Security Administration would disclose SS#'s even of dead people who were your parents.

A really stupid requirement for DR Citizenship if true.

You can contact the Social Security Administration and request the number. You have to jump through hoops, but you can get it. I have done it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

The U.S. SS# is pretty much your ID...

You are but a number for the gov and the system.

SS#'s of deceased persons are public domain information. All you need is the First and last name, D.O.B. and a quick search will provide you with both their now "parked" SS#.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The U.S. SS# is pretty much your ID...

You are but a number for the gov and the system.

SS#'s of deceased persons are public domain information. All you need is the First and last name, D.O.B. and a quick search will provide you with both their now "parked" SS#.

How does the process work if SS#'s of your parents are not on your birth certificate?
Is there some legalized document from the Social Security system that would be required?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
good conduct

It is a revenue source, nothing more. I bet green money many of the 57 people recently scooped up by Interpol would have little trouble getting buena conducta if they paid the fee.

Just like the good conduct from your place of birth. I never lived in the city of my birth only for 4-5 hours and they want the police there to tell them i am not a criminal ! What good is that !