Tourist Destinations That Are More Dangerous Than You Think

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Maybe slightly off topic but when I turn on my computer the yahoo home page pops up. Right at the top, today, is an article about dangerous places for tourists to visit and the D.R. leads the list. The article claims 39 tourists murdered in the last three years. I'm sure Carnival wants to be able to show their customers that they will be well insulated from real Dominicans and only have to deal with the vetted ones should they venture away from the ship while it is in port taking on supplies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe slightly off topic but when I turn on my computer the yahoo home page pops up. Right at the top, today, is an article about dangerous places for tourists to visit and the D.R. leads the list. The article claims 39 tourists murdered in the last three years.

please to include link next time. i found the article you mentioned: https://www.yahoo.com/travel/tourist-destinations-that-are-more-dangerous-than-124638057767.html
Dominican Republic
Stunning white sand beaches and warm crystal clear waters attracts thousands of tourists to this Caribbean paradise each year. However the Dominican Republic can be a very dangerous place for visitors. Foreigners are frequently targeted in criminal acts with reports of as many as 39 tourists being murdered over the past three years. The US State Department warns that the levels of professionalism within the local police is likely to vary wildly from that of the US, with common attempts to solicit bribes being reported along with incidents of them using excessive force.

39 foreigners, likely. but tourists? hmm.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
always a good way to "drum up good will and recos. for tourists and increase revenue for the country

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The "media" will say or do anything to "sell a paper"... or now, get a few web hits. They make vultures look polite in comparison.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Thats only 13 per year! Obviously a "puff piece" trying to make us look good. Does that include the people that asked for it by being really extra stupid?

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
39 tourists killed in 3 years ?? 36 months ?? so it's more than 1 per month ??

J?sus Marie Joseph !! Where was I for the past 4 years ?? I don't remember that many tourists dying here...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the dumbass who wrote that article thinks white=tourist. 39 gringos offed in 3 years sound legit. but tourists?

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
i think pretty much all the murders of gringos are covered here.

We did not have 39 gringos murdered in 3 years no ??? Maybe including the suicides, accidents, drownings ?? Or maybe I just don't notice...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes that is why I am trying to rack my brain to remember an actual tourist killed. Was the gay guy who got killed in SD a tourist or did he live here?

the swiss guy? a bit of both, in a way. frequent visitor with dominican wife.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Yes that is why I am trying to rack my brain to remember an actual tourist killed. Was the gay guy who got killed in SD a tourist or did he live here?

I thought I read links from here DR1 about a couple of tourists (not resident Gringos) being murdered. One was
a young woman....staying at an AI. Someone abducted her and killed her.....this year maybe?