are we in a water crisis?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Is DR in awater crisis and how will that affect foreigners?

it will affect foreigners the same way it affects other human life form. when there is no more water, then air will come out of your pipe, just like it is doing where i live. we are in the throes of El Nino, and the entire region will be having droughts until, maybe, next year. there isn?t much water around any more.

so, yes, gringo is not going to have his golf course as lush and green as he would like to have it. problem there is that it takes 600,000 gallons of water, per day, to irrigate an 18 hole golf course. he will have to cut down on his use of water, since foreigners use roughly 10 times the amount of water as locals. the swimming pools might not be as nice and spiffy, but there is always the ocean.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Is DR in awater crisis and how will that affect foreigners?

there is a plan to eradicate all gringos in DR and liquidate them. literally. extract all the water from their bodies and use it to fill up reservoirs. run away.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
there is a plan to eradicate all gringos in DR and liquidate them. literally. extract all the water from their bodies and use it to fill up reservoirs. run away.

It worked in "Dune." "A man's life is his own; his water belongs to the tribe."

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Depends what area you live in. Punta Cana for example has been receiving a pretty normal amount of rain in the past few weeks. Not so with other areas of the country. When you say foreigners, do you mean expats or foreigners on vacation? Most hotels have wells or access to good amounts of water. Those that live here might need to call in a water truck or two.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Yesterday, Tuesday 21 July 2015, the water system could only provide 329.74 million gallons of water per day n a normal daily supply of water is 400 million gallons. This deficit of 71 million gallons of water per day is expected to increase and CAASD simply cannot distribute water that it simply does not have.

Pulled from the news story on the left side of the DR-1 home page.

We had to buy water at the hotel about a month ago and the $3K filled the cistern. We had to buy it again about two weeks ago and the price was still $3K but the cistern was filled less than half full. Ladrones. But a hotel is sort of required to provide water to guests. I can let the lawn and gardens brown out, but I can't tell 29 Americans that they can't take showers or flush their toilets and that we won't be washing their sheets & towels.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Depends what area you live in. Punta Cana for example has been receiving a pretty normal amount of rain in the past few weeks.

Proves a belief I have long held, that the better weather stays in the better neighborhoods.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Tap water or purified water, in the end it's the same source, just an extra step of purification.

Not necessarily. A reverse osmosis plant can be used to process sea water into drinking water.

The water company is not going to pump seawater to your house.

Rain dance, anyone?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Not necessarily. A reverse osmosis plant can be used to process sea water into drinking water.

The water company is not going to pump seawater to your house.

Rain dance, anyone?

I know that can be done, however, e.g. Planeta Azul buys ('buys'?) the water from CAASD, purifies it and sells it in 5 gallon jugs.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know that can be done, however, e.g. Planeta Azul buys ('buys'?) the water from CAASD, purifies it and sells it in 5 gallon jugs.

Knowledge is power. If Planeta Azul could no longer buy from CAASD, they could use sea water. :glasses:

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I just had a well installed at one of my properties today. I went down 80' , and I have 10' of standing water at the bottom of the well. Not a bad level given the lack of rain on the north coast.
So yes it affected this foreigner because I had to buy a well. Hahah

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
drilled well

I just had a well installed at one of my properties today. I went down 80' , and I have 10' of standing water at the bottom of the well. Not a bad level given the lack of rain on the north coast.
So yes it affected this foreigner because I had to buy a well. Hahah

I want a drilled well. How much for 80' did it cost you ? Do you have a contact for them? What area of the north cost do you live in? tks

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
just because you have a well doesnt mean you will have water.
who else is tapping the aquifer?
all the water ultimately comes from the same source, rainfall

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
check the well water.... much of the well water is field run off - lots of cows in those fields.

My first well showed 25 ft of water and was dry in 1 week..... it was just 'passing through', not a true well