Dancing and Youth

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Hi again.
As I've mentioned in a previous post, my sister and I are traveling to the DR in a few months. She is 14, and she is an accomplished dancer with about 9 years of training. One aspect of traveling to the DR about which she is particularly excited is the opportunity to learn local popular dances (such as salsa, if I'm not mistaken). Will I have any problem getting her into clubs where people do these dances? If I can't get her into clubs or if they would be inappropriate, could you recommend some other venue in which she could learn and engage in local popular dancing? We are NOT going to resorts so resort nightclubs are definitely not an option. Plus, I'm too hardened from years of independent travel in India and Indonesia to set foot in a resort.
Thanks again,
Todd

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
how tall is your sister? if she looks 14 it will be difficult to be accepted in any club in SD. however you can try Squizo in plaza andaluci?a. ave. Abraham Lincoln. this is the place where teenages hang around. don't expect much salsa or merengue. this is an upscale club where the crowd prefer dance and techno music.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
14 year old dancer

Unless your daughter looks older than her age, her chances of getting into much dancing are few. Since you have eliminated resorts, the only place where youngsters can get this exposure, you will have to accompany your daughter to a local club, dress her up like an adult, with make up and clothes to match and expose her to dancing with male adults, if she looks the part.

Matinee clubs for kids are scarce in DR. Most youngsters go to house and school parties. You may try to catch a school activity at a local disco when younger people are allowed. Call in advance to find out information about these activities.

e-mail me for more information.

TW

rasilm

Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Dancing

Just try Fantasy Disco near La Feria, dress her llike an adult and they'll let her in. Only Merenge, Salsa and Bachat all nigth till dawn. Any Taxi driver will take you there for a few pesos.

Rafael

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
but, if you dress her like an adult, the men she is dancing with may not realize she is just a child
(and, dammit, those sexy Dominican men sure have a way about them....).
I'd stick close to her if you take her to clubs.

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Thanks for your informative responses. To answer the questions, my sister is only 4'11", but she has stopped growing and will be that height for the rest of her life. She could easily pass for 16, but she isn't going to pass for 18. I just want to find a place where she can observe and participate in the local dances. It doesn't have to be a club, though if I can get her into a club I'm certain I can supervise her adequately to assure her safety, as I'm anything but on the small side myself. Is there anywhere other than clubs where people do the local dances. Maybe someone even knows someone who would give her a few lessons in salsa or whatever other local dances are big there? (I know absolutely nothing about dancing myself, but I know my sister is really excited about different styles of dancing.)
I'd even take her to a resort I guess as a very last resort...
Your suggestions are appreciated.
Todd

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you are making a mistake

The resorts are great for kids. the activities people are used to these requests: ie. to learn salsa.

I cannot, in truth, recommend any of the clubs, as these are adult places for adult fun.

Since i recommended Playa Dorada on another post, I think you would be wise to do that, unless business has to take you to Santo Domingo.

HB

Gena

Jan 10, 2002
Resorts as a last resort!

Hi, my fiance and I will be visiting the D.R. in February, and from the reviews I've read, sounds like there are "clubs" at our resort for younger and older children. One of the things they DO is learn local dances, etc. There's also plenty of opportunity to do other things. The resort is the Iberostar Bavaro. Go to debbiesdominicantravel.com and look at the reviews for this resort at that site.

Good luck!

boni

Jan 9, 2002
Rural dance halls

For this purpose I recommend trying dance halls in the more rural parts of the country. For example, there are dance halls in places like Boca de Yuma, Mao or Moncion where they wouldn't hassle you about bringing in your 14 year old sister, and the people there are quite nice. In the cities and major resort areas, you'll have more of a problem. Way out in Elias Pina there's a place called Rancho Sussy which has dancing on weekends but also does a lot of kids parties, so I don't think they would mind if you brought a teenager in to dance, provided she was accompanied by an adult. There are lots of other rural places where this would be a possibility. Also, depending on the timing of your visit, there are merengue festivals annually in both Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata.

Matt Juba

Jan 12, 2002
I had a similar problem with my 15 year old son - he wasn't allowed in club, although standards are spotty. His 17 year old brother had no problems. I do believe that if he was dressed differently he might have gained entrance (ie wearing a hat and oversized clothes). One suggestion in addition to the rural club idea is to find out where a concert is planned. If at the Malecon or a carwash (a unique Dominican institution) you should have no problem. We were able to get him into a Raulin Rodriguez concert at the Sosua Carwash and it was awesome. There was plenty of dancing. Good luck.

Matt Juba

Jan 12, 2002
Additional comments

By the way, you should be prepared to attend and supervise - this is very important. In the more rural areas you may find a more mannered approach where boys seeking to ask her for a dance will seek your approval.

While salsa is around, the main dances are the regional favourites - merengue and bachata. It takes a while to get the drift but my experience is that most Dominicans are eager to teach the nuances to interested travellers.