new member: the family story continues...

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Hi Valerie, welcome to DR1, were DR is not good enough for anyone, but we still live here :p .
I see you live in Bella Vista, there's a restaurant called La Lasagna pretty good food, I work in BV too, if you and your boyfriend are looking for people to talk or hang feel free to pm me :)

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
To me this relationship seems to have a better than average chance of success. He has a master's degree, she is a teacher, he is multi-lingual, has a good job and so does she.

A mother of an only child is understandably over-protective, it's not easy for her to accept daughter moving to another country so far away, especially if she's a controlling type.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
"Family problems" = normal.
98% of mariages between dominicano(a) and extrangero (a) ending by divorce in the first 5 Years.
(Embassy of France).
Typical reaction of the extrangero(a) : My novio is different.....

The future expat never listen the consejos. They only want a confirmation of their fantaisies and dreams....

That 98% figure is the people who comes on vacations and bring back the love of their life to France after 3 trips.
OP is in a different situation (see AE post). Her man has a master degree, he is not a merenguero from a resort. Plus, they are not married.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Whatever is the future of the relationship between Valerie and her boyfried, she has the right to life her life as she pleases... Even if her relationshipd ends up in a year, she will learn from the experience. Who are we to tell her what's good or bad for herself ??

Val?rie, I am a mother and I would never tell my kids to do this or that. I don't put my nose in their business. If they hit a wall or get hurt, they won't me the same mistake twice. And I NEVER use emotional blackmail... God knows how much I HATE that kind of blackmail...

I have only 1 advice for you girl... RUN and do what you want !! You have the right to have YOUR own life... If your mother is alone and lonely, that's not your problem... Tell her to get a life and leave YOUR life alone.

?coutes ton coeur Val?rie.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Whatever is the future of the relationship between Valerie and her boyfried, she has the right to life her life as she pleases... Even if her relationshipd ends up in a year, she will learn from the experience. Who are we to tell her what's good or bad for herself ??

Val?rie, I am a mother and I would never tell my kids to do this or that. I don't put my nose in their business. If they hit a wall or get hurt, they won't me the same mistake twice. And I NEVER use emotional blackmail... God knows how much I HATE that kind of blackmail...

I have only 1 advice for you girl... RUN and do what you want !! You have the right to have YOUR own life... If your mother is alone and lonely, that's not your problem... Tell her to get a life and leave YOUR life alone.

?coutes ton coeur Val?rie.

Bien dit !

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Hi Valerie, Spreekt gij Vlaams? :)

As this does not seem like the relationship of a tourists picking up a person from an IA it could work.

You have lived together for 1 year in Belgium. I think in one year you get to know eachother well and should also know if this is a long term project. Why not marry and settle in Belgium for example or take the EU legislation and live in the Netherlands or Spain for example? Why live in the DR?

In regards to your mom. My brotherinlaw has the same mom.. She is scared that her son will move away and in her case she comes up with all kinds of excuses or lies. She has been in the hospital multiple times almost dieing (all in her words) still she walks and talks with no problem.. but every 6 months she creates some drama when she feels that her son is drifting away a bit. Love your mom and give her attention but also live your own life.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Hi Valerie, welcome to DR1, were DR is not good enough for anyone, but we still live here :p .
I see you live in Bella Vista, there's a restaurant called La Lasagna pretty good food, I work in BV too, if you and your boyfriend are looking for people to talk or hang feel free to pm me :)

La Lasagna is good. Used to visit their old location once in a while. I actually prefer la Laconda a few blocks away. Better pizza and linguini with clams.
They deliver but only after 7PM. It is on the street of Hotel BQ heading towards Betancourt.

I really like asadero argentino at entrance to Embajador as well.

We are in Bella Vista as well. For now at least.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
http://dr1.com/forums/new-members-introductions/151934-new-member.html

for anyone who wants to give more comments... Always welcome...

A closed thread? on DR1? no way! I think in last 10 years there have only been 18 threads that were not closed. . .

Did I read right that between the tow of you, you make 40,000 pesos per month? Are you sure you live in Bella Vista? Not easy surviving on 40k pesos in DR. In Bella Vista it would be very difficult to impossible.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
60k with 20k rent is more doable. Have not seen much in bella vista for less than 30k. Just two people a 1 bedroom should be fine. 10k per week after rent may work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk