Dr-cafta

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
Hello I was wandering if the rules of Origin change for a vehicle. The vehicle was built in the USA but purchased in Canada. Would it still fall under the CAFTA agreement for vehicles since it was originally built in the USA?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The rules when I checked them a long time ago were based upon the US content in the car. I think it had to be over 60%.

There are a number of non-US brands that have that.

Jan 9, 2004
Hello I was wandering if the rules of Origin change for a vehicle. The vehicle was built in the USA but purchased in Canada. Would it still fall under the CAFTA agreement for vehicles since it was originally built in the USA?

The first number in the VIN must be a 1,4,5 to qualify as USA built.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There was a lot of anticipation with DR-CAFTA that people could not only get cars, but anything imported from the USA cheaper.
TVs were one thing people hoped would go down in price, but none are MADE in the USA any more and are not included and prices remain ridiculously high here. .

Even cars made in the USA aren't much cheaper because of the new first license fees they put in to make up the tax difference after DR-CAFTA was instituted.
I had mentioned this to a DR-CAFTA official, but nothing was changed.

For DR-CAFTA it is all about where things are made. Good luck if you decide to import a car. A car is the only thing I have not seriously considered importing into the DR.

Jan 9, 2004
There was a lot of anticipation with DR-CAFTA that people could not only get cars, but anything imported from the USA cheaper.
TVs were one thing people hoped would go down in price, but none are MADE in the USA any more and are not included and prices remain ridiculously high here. .

Even cars made in the USA aren't much cheaper because of the new first license fees they put in to make up the tax difference after DR-CAFTA was instituted.
I had mentioned this to a DR-CAFTA official, but nothing was changed.

For DR-CAFTA it is all about where things are made. Good luck if you decide to import a car. A car is the only thing I have not seriously considered importing into the DR.

As far as cars are concerned.....DR/CAFTA was a bust.

However, one of my clients imports used auto parts and reports DR/CAFTA to be very beneficial.

I still import my vehicles and will bring another one in next year....but the process does way on you.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
Ok so i spoke with a customs agent and now I am been told that the Origin doesn't matter because there is a clause that says canadian purchased vehicles don't apply to DR-CAFTA regardless of US origin. Unless I can prove it was bought in the US and brought into Canada. However he can't provide me with that clause. Where can I find the small stipulations like this?

Jan 9, 2004
Ok so i spoke with a customs agent and now I am been told that the Origin doesn't matter because there is a clause that says canadian purchased vehicles don't apply to DR-CAFTA regardless of US origin. Unless I can prove it was bought in the US and brought into Canada. However he can't provide me with that clause. Where can I find the small stipulations like this?

I think you should back up a bit and start over.

Are you trying to bring a vehicle to DR?

If so, you have far more important other requirements to deal with.

Whether the vehicle is of US origin or not.....does not preclude you from bringing the vehicle in. It only gives you a modest....and I do mean modest.........break on taxes.

The big breaks come if you are a returning Dominican or are importing under the new resident law...Ley 168, I believe.

Absent that, forget the country of origin and DR/CAFTA nonsense....it is barely applicable.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
True enough. The parts removed from your car on the journey will be enough hassle to deal with once you take possession of it.

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
Ok Im a Canadian with Dominican Residence. I have a vehicle in Canada I bought brand new in 2012. Great deal and 0% interest. Now that the 2 year ownership is up I want to import it. Drive the vehicle to Miami port and ship (Miami, just for the drive and family vacation). I have quotes for shipping at $850 and a customs broker in Dominican said we can bring it in under the DR-CAFTA because it is US Origin vehicle for $8500. He said my residency application ley 168 will be difficult because I work out of country on a monthly rotation and I need to be in the country for 6 months for it to apply. Otherwise my quotes from aduanas are over $16,000 just bringing it as is.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you really want it. Get a couple of firm fixed quotes from DOOR to DOOR shippers.

Jan 9, 2004
Ok Im a Canadian with Dominican Residence. I have a vehicle in Canada I bought brand new in 2012. Great deal and 0% interest. Now that the 2 year ownership is up I want to import it. Drive the vehicle to Miami port and ship (Miami, just for the drive and family vacation).

If you were granted residency you can take advantage of the tax breaks on household goods and a vehicle...but I believe you only have so long to do it after residency is obtained. Perhaps someone else who has actually done it recently can chime in.

Otherwise, if you import it without benefit of a tax reduction scheme, take 40% of your vehicles value and that will give you a ballpark of what you will pay at Aduana....not including shipping/insurance, etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
As a rule of thumb.......DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING A CUSTOMS AGENT SAYS TO YOU in the DR

They are all Ladrones and pendejos....no if's, and 's or but's

Jan 9, 2004
As a rule of thumb.......DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING A CUSTOMS AGENT SAYS TO YOU in the DR

They are all Ladrones and pendejos....no if's, and 's or but's

Yes, the whole process is a bit of a quagmire.....and no don't believe anything you are told.....as I find they don't even know what they are doing...or what the law really is. You/they sort of wing it until you are done.

I have imported several vehicles.....and the process is always the same (convoluted)....and never the same (procedure).

Use this to find your vehicles value....then take 40% of that;
http://www.dgii.gov.do/ciudadania/v...Paginas/ConsultaValoresVehiculosLivianos.aspx

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Yes, the whole process is a bit of a quagmire.....and no don't believe anything you are told.....as I find they don't even know what they are doing...or what the law really is. You/they sort of wing it until you are done.

I have imported several vehicles.....and the process is always the same (convoluted)....and never the same (procedure).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Have you ever noticed an Aduanas agent in this country that doesn't look like a dirtbag... I mean seriously they all look like loser tigres.

I think they are all somebody importants mentally disabled primo

even still mi cu?ao is a customs agent and although he's family and that helps I still get fcuked !

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Remember, in this country, what is law is one thing, and what is reality can be completely different.

So just because a law says something, does not mean it will be applied or interpreted in a reasonable or honest way.

The Rule of Law is just a concept here, its not a reality..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks for all the info. I did some research on the ley 168 and came up with this link. Seems I only need 6 months of accumulated time in DR over 2 years. which makes much more sense.

http://www.amellcxa.com/pdf/Requisitos%20y%20Formulario%20Ley%20168%20Para%20la%20Exoneracion%20de%20Vehiculos.pdf

Unless things have changed since last year, if you're Dominican you can't have spent over 6 months within the past 2 years.

If you're a foreigner, the discount is for the first 6 months after you receive your residency.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
taxes,,,ha ha....when i did bring some things into this country i was agast(surprised) by the amount of tax per item...one agent said he could get the value lowed to actually lower the tax...but when they wanted money b 4 delivery of promise i said not....and till this day i think it was a rip...