baseball is so simple even dominicans can understand it

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i never thought i'd start a thread in this section but this story had me in stitches:
MLB Players' Association upset by Colin Cowherd's comments on Dominicans

I’ve never bought into that, ‘Baseball’s just too complex.’ Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic.
Cowherd, who went on to say the Dominican Republic is not known for its world-class academics (...)
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. dead.

a disclaimer: i have zero interest in baseball and have never seen more than 5 seconds of the game.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I really like baseball. My 5 second sports are soccer and hockey.

But what he said.. No sancocho for him.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Like any sport you are a fan and understand the complexities and strategies or you are not and get to poke fun. We all have our favourites.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Like any sport you are a fan and understand the complexities and strategies or you are not and get to poke fun. We all have our favourites.

i think he is poking fun at dominicans rather than baseball.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
still waiting on your definition of intelligence.

So a higher IQ test means the individual is more intelligent? How do you account for individuals that have a lower reading-writing cognitive affinity?

An IQ test is generalized. Outliers with special skills will always exist. I have lower "cognitive affinity" than I do in other areas, yet I was still measured by standardized IQ tests in the real world while a female more attractive than I had seen previously sat across from me and blasted through her test at what I suspected was a superhuman rate. I suspect my result would have been different under other environmental factors.
If you prefer another response, please feel free to do your own research.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I asked that female how she went through the test so quickly, she responded:

"I had no idea what the answers where, so I just guessed".

True story. It was an amazing distraction. I scored only in the 140 range.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
still waiting on your definition of intelligence.

So a higher IQ test means the individual is more intelligent? How do you account for individuals that have a lower reading-writing cognitive affinity?

I wonder what SankyPanky's former user name was. He resembles another know-it-all poster whose name I don't remember.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Well, Col?n Cowherd is now saying his remarks about Dominicans were taken out of context.

But there's some validity to what he actually said, for I'm one dumba$$ motherfcuking Dumbminican, and baseball is all I understand.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
no one will remember it tomorrow.

how i hate that public figures are now forced to apologize for having an opinion.

True that his 5 seconds of fame will be fleeting for such politically incorrect statements.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
what is intelligence?
how does one measure it?

you are a younger man than i am, so your learning cues have been acquired in an age when everything has to be explained with complex, overthought pseudo science. when i was in high school, and dinosaurs roamed the earth, my teachers defined intelligence as the ability to reason.

i still like that definition. your mileage may vary.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So not only dumb but also short memory?

ha ha, no. it's that tomorrow someone else is bound to say something offensive. collective memory is very short indeed.

True that his 5 seconds of fame will be fleeting for such politically incorrect statements.

politically incorrect but factually true: there are lots of dominicans in baseball and DR is not known for academic achievements of its citizens.

all this reminds me of riri twitting about roaches in her hotel in punta cana. boy, did dominicanos get pi**ed. and it's not like roaches are unheard of here...