What the DR has to learn from Singapore

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The Commonwealth Roundtable in the Dominican Republic is hosting a discussion on Monday, 27 July 2015, on the Singapore Economic Miracle. Shortly before leaving his post, the British Ambassador to the Dominican Republic Steven Fisher had suggested the Dominican Republic learn from Singapore. The event will be held at 6pm at the Unibe university auditorium on Av. Francia. The event will focus on how a small but strategically located country achieved such impressive economic development in less than 50 years. The conclusion is that Singapore focused on education, foreign investment, international trade and transparent policies where meritocracy prevailed. Speaking will be economists Andres Dauhajre, Juan Guiliani Cury and Jorge Pineda. Admission is free and open to the general public.

Welcome • ROUNDTABLE

The Chinese build Singapore and they have a complete different mentality and attitude than the Dominicans.
Maybe the DR should import more Chinese ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Commonwealth Roundtable in the Dominican Republic is hosting a discussion on Monday, 27 July 2015, on the Singapore Economic Miracle. Shortly before leaving his post, the British Ambassador to the Dominican Republic Steven Fisher had suggested the Dominican Republic learn from Singapore. The event will be held at 6pm at the Unibe university auditorium on Av. Francia. The event will focus on how a small but strategically located country achieved such impressive economic development in less than 50 years. The conclusion is that Singapore focused on education, foreign investment, international trade and transparent policies where meritocracy prevailed. Speaking will be economists Andres Dauhajre, Juan Guiliani Cury and Jorge Pineda. Admission is free and open to the general public.

Welcome ?€? ROUNDTABLE

The Chinese build Singapore and they have a complete different mentality and attitude than the Dominicans.

the DR cannot emulate Singapore, because there is political will there to eradicate blatant corruption, and in the DR corruption at government level is a way of life.

go find another country to copy.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015

Welcome ?€? ROUNDTABLE

Lots of Chinese have buckets of money. They are investing in many areas of USA. They love American universities and
real estate. A friend sold his condo to a Chinese lady in NYC recently. She paid cash (bank check no financing). Lady
said that her son can use the condo when ho goes to Columbia U. Friend said that is great, how old is your son.
Lady said, 3 years old. They plan ahead.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the question is not: what can DR learn from singapore. the question is: what can singapore learn from bob saunders' family?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Welcome • ROUNDTABLE

The differences are so tremendous that there is little chance of such learning by the DR. I lived amongst a large Asian population in California and they could not be more different in work ethic and education than where I live in the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
the question is not: what can DR learn from singapore. the question is: what can singapore learn from bob saunders' family?
LOL. Perhaps more than you think.My daughter in law is an economist from China and her father is one of the bigwigs with the Bank of China. Absolutely different cultures but it is possible for the Dominicans to adopt many of the same strategies; except of course all Dominicans are dumb as fencepostS; according to you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
LOL. Perhaps more than you think.My daughter in law is an economist from China and her father is one of the bigwigs with the Bank of China. Absolutely different cultures but it is possible for the Dominicans to adopt many of the same strategies; except of course all Dominicans are dumb as fencepostS; according to you.

1247j2v.jpg

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Singapore

I've been to Singapore. Heyzus, it's hot, but damn, is it clean.

Maybe the DR could start with the thousand dollar fines for first offense litterers and canings for spitters. I see that going down real well here.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012

Most Chinese are hard working people. Most Dominicans are fascinated of work. They can watch it for hours!

Apr 7, 2014

Welcome • ROUNDTABLE

The Chinese built Singapore, an English speaking city-state well known as a center for international gambling and child exploitation? Nah.

Chinese people arent industrious in the slightest. Building things means nothing if they arent quality. Who in their right mind would prefer a Chinese car, bike, or hammer over a German, Japanese, American one? No one. A Chinese gun or an Italian one? No one picks the Chinese one.

Dildo Scroggins, Country Music Star for Middle Earth

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
He said this:

Ladies and Gentlemen, my first posting as a diplomat was Singapore. A country which had risen from being a virtually failed state in 1965 to one of the wealthiest countries in the world by 1995 when I arrived there. How did they do it:

•Political stability

•An extremely reliable and transparent business environment

•A hard line on corruption – especially misuse of public funds

•No impunity for anyone, neither rich nor politically well connected

•Impeccable race relations, ensuring that Chinese, Malay and Indian Singaporeans respected each other and each other’s traditions.

When I was in Singapore, UK Ministers would regularly visit in order to learn from the Singapore model. How did they organise pensions, how did they ensure high standards of public education, how did they attract inward investment which drove the country’s economy into increasingly high tech and high value added activities? Everyone can learn from others. My wish for the Dominican Republic as I prepare to leave in a few months time, is that it will continue to be the unique, special, beautiful country that it has always been, but that at the same time it will learn from others; from countries like Singapore.

In the future I wish to return to a DR in which the following statements are true:

•There is one, integrated Dominican society

•There is fair, affordable access to justice and no impunity

•Drug trafficking has been defeated and violent crime, including feminicide, has been dramatically reduced

•Extreme poverty has been eradicated and poverty radically reduced

•Most people are formally employed and real wages have increased

•Children are not placed in the streets to beg; and those that place them there now have been severely punished

•The handicapped are cared for and integrated into society

•The government does not have to publicly remind students, parents and teachers that school restarts on the Monday after all holidays; and classes of 50 pupils remain a memory of the past

•The Police are well paid, efficient and respected

•Migrants are well treated by the authorities at all times; they are never abused, arbitrarily deported or forced to pay “peaje” (toll) when crossing the border. And as workers they are always protected by the state and the law.

To learn from others like Singapore.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/world...-speech-reflections-on-the-dominican-republic Excellent speech to wake you up at breakfast

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i remember the u.s. kid arrested for vandalism ...bill was pres. then he was convicted...5 lashes was the sentance bill intervened....they said ok ..bill he gets four... we never heard fron that kid again...no stories no nothing....if anyone knows anything please post...
no jail time no nothing other than 4 lashes... a great deterrant

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
If they ever did a study on crime by Dominican Chinese. You would see one of the smallest percentages in the world !

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Dr and USA share many cultural similarities. Among them is a high value placed on individualism. Group identity and not standing out as an individual are highly valued among Chinese, therefore I assume it extends to Singapore.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dr and USA share many cultural similarities. Among them is a high value placed on individualism. Group identity and not standing out as an individual are highly valued among Chinese, therefore I assume it extends to Singapore.

i remember when that guy Fay vandalized a car in Singapore and was sentenced to 5 lashes. the basic reason that they have such punishments is to teach people to respect others. they consider their society to be a group effort, not a motley accumulation of self important, self centered individuals. the first thing Dominicans can learn from Singapore is to respect others. stop throwing your trash on the streets, making the environment a mess for others. when you decide to play your stereo at 150 decibels, wonder to yourself if you are disturbing others. when a bit more selflessness is achieved, then progress might be attained.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Singaporeans are very nationalistic and are proud of the development of their country into one of the world's best economies with one of the longest life expectancies and all from being a very poor country 50 years ago after independence.

This was only possible through the often ruthless leadership of Li. And they would never think of themselves as Chinese but as Singaporeans.

But I digress from the OP.

The UK Ambassador was making a point using Singapore as a country to learn from: transparency in business, tough line on corruption, no impunity for anyone.........as a the means to a better society which he went on to hope for in his speech.

He also said:

I asked my colleagues in Santiago how the Chileans had managed to halve poverty in seven years. They cited: consistent economic growth; increasing salaries – and greater participation by women in the workforce with decent wages; and (I quote): “a generally clean police force and judiciary makes a big difference” Unquote.

The DR has grown economically more than any Latin American country since 1965, including Chile, but this has not helped reduce poverty as dramatically as in many Latin American countries. May I suggest DR society should be concerned by this, and ask itself why?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Singaporeans are very nationalistic and are proud of the development of their country into one of the world's best economies with one of the longest life expectancies and all from being a very poor country 50 years ago after independence.

This was only possible through the often ruthless leadership of Li. And they would never think of themselves as Chinese but as Singaporeans.

But I digress from the OP.

The UK Ambassador was making a point using Singapore as a country to learn from: transparency in business, tough line on corruption, no impunity for anyone.........as a the means to a better society which he went on to hope for in his speech.

He also said:

I asked my colleagues in Santiago how the Chileans had managed to halve poverty in seven years. They cited: consistent economic growth; increasing salaries – and greater participation by women in the workforce with decent wages; and (I quote): “a generally clean police force and judiciary makes a big difference” Unquote.

The DR has grown economically more than any Latin American country since 1965, including Chile, but this has not helped reduce poverty as dramatically as in many Latin American countries. May I suggest DR society should be concerned by this, and ask itself why?

the DR has had a boom economy for several years in a row. much better than any other economy in the hemisphere. however, as i mentioned to PICHARDO, on may occasions, economic GROWTH and economic DEVELOPMENT are not the same animal. the DR still remains low on the scale of Human Development, compared to most other countries in the region, including Cuba. still struggling with basic human advancement in areas such as poverty, education, employment , health care, food security, and factors like those. it is a case of not simply having something, but using it well.