Latin Food Can Be Health Food Too: Goya

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
CNBC spot today about Goya promoting Latin food. Goya was founded in Manhattan 78 years ago, but they do have a large facility in the Dominican Republic [Goya Foods of the Dominican Republic, S.A., Kil?metro 17 Autopista 6 de Noviembre, San Crist?bal, Dominican Republic Tel: 809-541-490 Fax: 809-567-9657]

Video and story:

Goya: Latin food can be good and healthy too

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we use lots of goya products. they are more expensive than linda or baldom but i like it more. as far as latin food being healthy... any food can be if it is prepared fresh and not eaten in excess.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Goya and Famosa are both better quality than Linda. And better than Lider, which seems to be the Jumbo house brand. Parece.

May 29, 2006
I like GOYA medium grain rice, but when I used to make it in bulk, I had to check the 10 pound bags for tiny stones. I used to find one in about half the big bags. Maybe they've gotten better. Also, sometimes the canned beans aren't fully cooked. On the plus, side the Mojo Criollo marinates are great.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Goya and Famosa are both better quality than Linda. And better than Lider, which seems to be the Jumbo house brand. Parece.

I've seen Lider in the US too, I think it's a supermarket generic brand, I just don't remember which store.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've seen Lider in the US too, I think it's a supermarket generic brand, I just don't remember which store.

Not sure if this is the same Lider:

Heze City Lider Food Co., Ltd is a large wholly-owned Spanish enterprise, which produces tinned fruits, vegetables and quick-frozen food. It's located at Shandong Heze, the cross of Beijing-Jiujiang and Europe-Asia Bridge railways, three expressways lead to everywhere of China. The registered capital of the company is 50 million yuan RMB. The factory covers a space of 77256 square meters, and the workshop covers 45000 square meters.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not sure if this is the same Lider:

Heze City Lider Food Co., Ltd is a large wholly-owned Spanish enterprise, which produces tinned fruits, vegetables and quick-frozen food. It's located at Shandong Heze, the cross of Beijing-Jiujiang and Europe-Asia Bridge railways, three expressways lead to everywhere of China. The registered capital of the company is 50 million yuan RMB. The factory covers a space of 77256 square meters, and the workshop covers 45000 square meters.

I just googled - I might have seen the brand in Walmart, apparently they own the company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Líder

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Goya canned beans won hands down in a taste test on PBS' America's Test Kitchen.
I have taken to using dry beans and chickpeas but it is good to have a couple of cans around when the need arises and the time is short.

May 29, 2006
I only use a pressure cooker for making beans. Contrary to expectations, boiling beans on a stovetop does not kill all bacteria so cooked beans need to cool in shallow pans, not in a big pot. Pressure cooking cooks the beans to about 235?, which is far safer. Put the beans in a bowl inside the cooker with water to cover and another inch in the pot. 15-20 minutes at pressure is typically enough. Same method for rice works well. Can't burn or plug up the valve.

Aug 6, 2006
I have no complaints with Goya products: they are a small bit more expensive, but I think their canned beans have more beans and less water in the can than Iberia and other brands.
I don' t doubt that Goya foods are healthy, but they are not health food. They have no claims to being GM free or organically grown. Of course, whether that makes anything actually healthier is debatable.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Imprimir Noticia - Cadena impulsa marca L?der

Cadena impulsa marca L?der

Visita. Ofelia Fragoso y Cinthia Antonio, ejecutivas de CCN.
C?ndida Acosta
Santo Domingo
La cadena de supermercados Centro Cuesta Nacional (CCN) anunci? el cambio de imagen de su marca exclusiva L?der, de m?s de 200 productos alimenticios y otros no comestibles, concentrados en sus ofertas de art?culos m?s baratos de su clase entre un 5% y 10% y hasta un porcentaje mayor.

CCN oferta de manera exclusiva en sus centros comerciales la marca L?der, con productos de la m?s alta calidad mundial que han sido elaborados en distintos mercados como Estados Unidos, Brasil, China, Rep?blica Dominicana y otros.

Cinthia Antonio, directora de Marcas Privadas de Centro Cuesta Nacional (CCN), afirm? que estrategia usada es para que los productos ofertados adem?s de la calidad que poseen puedan llegar a los consumidores m?s

Ofelia Fragoso, gerente de Marcas Privadas de CCN, destac? que esa empresa es pionera en el tema de marcas privadas, cuya exclusividad le confiere desde el a?o 1998.

El nuevo logo tiene los colorores corporativos de la empresa y que los productos que se hacen en el pa?s tengan la bandera dominicana.

“Tenemos una muy buena relaci?n en lo que es calidad-precio”, ya que la idea es que se elija con confianza y el consumidor sienta que est? haciendo una compra inteligente y que la empresa est? protegiendo su presupuesto, dijo Antonio. Los productos L?der elaborados en el pa?s se identifican con la bandera dominicana en sus presentaciones. La canasta b?sica est? cubierta con habichuelas, arroz, aceite, az?car, ma?z, sardinas, at?n, cocoa, mayonessa, gelatinas y cereales con az?car y sin az?car, entre otros como guandules, garbanzos, y habichuelas negras. La gama de productos no alimenticios incluye papel higi?nico, desinfectante, cloro, lavaplatos, suavizantes y hasta una pintura L?der. Adem?s, la cadena de supermercados CCN (nacional, Jumbo y Jumbo Express) manejan la marca Food-Club, que tiene tambi?n una relaci?n calidad-precio, comparada con marcas internacionales.

Otras marcas ofertadas son Full Circle, Valu Time, Charking, Academix, World Classic Trading Company. Top Care y los productos Gran Capit?n (queso); Melini (hongos); Don Sim?n (vinos); Sal de San Pedro.
---------------------------------------

It's an in-house brand of CCN...

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Does GOYA started in DR first then in US or US first then DR just open up an warehouse to sell products there?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Does GOYA started in DR first then in US or US first then DR just open up an warehouse to sell products there?

U.S. first as a brand, PR first as the initial family business.

The plant in the DR was built in the summer of 1970 and started full operations by 1971. Mainly for fruit pulps and the now famous Coco Goya. Later it upgraded to include beans.

It has been since upgraded to meet regulations for organic foods processing and packaging.