Telecable POP in Death Throes

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i might be wrong with this one, and i hope someone will set me straight. it seems to me that every week these days there is some major outage of channels with this service. my guess is that they have been pirating the feed all these years, and the original providers have beeen developing more sophisticated systems to prevent it. my guess is that they will soon have to shut down, or do what they should have been doing, which is to pay for the service.

your thoughts, please.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The cable operators have almost certainly been "borrowing channels" for years. Probably from some "providers" who decode those signals and provide the codes to view those channels. One provider is changing the encoding scheme to one that supposedly cannot be cracked or otherwise defeated.

So the cable companies will have to pay up or not provide those channels.

I never watch the local cable here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The cable operators have almost certainly been "borrowing channels" for years. Probably from some "providers" who decode those signals and provide the codes to view those channels. One provider is changing the encoding scheme to one that supposedly cannot be cracked or otherwise defeated.

So the cable companies will have to pay up or not provide those channels.

I never watch the local cable here.

so i guess i was right, then. it was just a suspicion, but telecable has been having so many outages recently, it is obvious that something has gone severely awry, and that certain cable guys here will have to make vital adjustments.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
so i guess i was right, then. it was just a suspicion, but telecable has been having so many outages recently, it is obvious that something has gone severely awry, and that certain cable guys here will have to make vital adjustments.

The outages are most likely the result of the providers electronic counter measures to battle piracy.

IPTV is the alternative.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The outages are most likely the result of the providers electronic counter measures to battle piracy.

IPTV is the alternative.

i am a cave man when it comes to such matters. please wise me up on IPTV. this is getting tedious.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
satellitedirect.tv is worth looking at for a beginner. I used it a while ago. I am using Linux for my OS now and don't use any VMs or emulation programs so it is not suitable for me now but if you are on Windows it should work fine. Some people say there are better options out there but I liked it for a few reasons

1. At the time I got it I paid $29.99 for a one time fee. Thats it. One time. No monthly fees. Several channels from all over the world. For example if you want ABC you have about a dozen of them from different locations. Same goes for every channel. All the premium channels like HBO are included. Plus you get channels from Europe, Asia, etc. And believe it or not even local Dominican channels.

2. I'm a huge college football fan. They have college football networks that you have to pay for elsewhere. They didn't have SEC Network last year but I'm sure it will be there soon.

3. You can get upgrades to get into pay per view events, etc. Though these days you can steal pay per view over the internet.

4. Very easy to install and use. No need to surf all over the web for various channels. They are all in one catalog. You can group your favorites, etc. Its very good for an IPTV beginner.

One of the biggest cons is you must have very good high speed Internet or it will suck. But I imagine that is true for most of the IPTV solutions.

I'm sure others will chime in with other options but I do think this one is worth a look. It is a great offering for the cost. And if you try it for a few months and find out you don't like it you are only out $30. So basically two months of your local cable bill.