Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No basements?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No basements?

Seems like there are very few basements in the DR. I understand that you cannot build them near sea level due to the higher water table. However, why are there very few basements in the higher areas? They are cooler since they are underground, and they provide protection during hurricanes. Since labor is cheap, they could be dug inexpensively. So why no basements?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

drainage

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reilleyp View Post
    Seems like there are very few basements in the DR. I understand that you cannot build them near sea level due to the higher water table. However, why are there very few basements in the higher areas? They are cooler since they are underground, and they provide protection during hurricanes. Since labor is cheap, they could be dug inexpensively. So why no basements?
    they dig septics.........

A house near us is built high off the ground.... a quasi basement, but not underground..... just under the house.

You could easily build 'hurricane hidey hole' if thats what you want..... I have a cave !

Florida has very few basements........... and the base is a floating concrete pad... in So FL, anyway

4. Likes reilleyp liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

depends on the equipment....
    my first effort was w/ a jackhammer

The second time I had a big backhoe with a jackhammer attached ---BIG!

used 5 gals of diesel/hour... that + the cost of the machine & operator was quite a number... $1,000Us/day

but the output was phenomenal.... well worth it....
    it smashed then backhoed to debris

I did a driveway , the house pad and more ...... took a few days but would have been way more by hand.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You would need to run a dehumidifier 24/7. Or just grow magic mushrooms.

7. Likes PeterInBrat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

why have a basement when you can build wide.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bizzyboneizo View Post
    why have a basement when you can build wide.
    A basement would be cooler. That would be one reason.

Basements are not part of the Spanish building tradition. Only major structures like office buildings have basements.

Some houses in Barcelona have basements, I have heard, but that is in Calaluņa, and is after a French tradition. The French have basements, it is where they keep their wine collection.

Mexico City is built on a lake and there are earthquakes, so Mexicans do not normally have basements.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

come on it costd money for a basement...much cheaper to build flat...my last apt had one apt one the Basement (side of hill) and it was nice and cool ...to dig in d.r. is expensive...side of a hill it is an added apt...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post
    A basement would be cooler. That would be one reason.

Basements are not part of the Spanish building tradition. Only major structures like office buildings have basements.

Some houses in Barcelona have basements, I have heard, but that is in Calaluņa, and is after a French tradition. The French have basements, it is where they keep their wine collection.

Mexico City is built on a lake and there are earthquakes, so Mexicans do not normally have basements.
    suicide rate is lower also in these areas no jumping out of basement windows.....

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Basement?? What this country needs is a regulation to build cisterns first and store rainwater.

Secondly there is no benefit if you want a cooler environment and think it is down below in a basement. Too many issues such as damp to consider. Use the money saved and build concrete/block mass into your superstructure. Concrete mass absorbs heat and controls its transmission inwards and outwards. If you want stable temperatures in your house through design, ensure you have concrete mass and you will save big time on cooling.

Built a house designed by a super A grade Architect (Singapore based) in the Leewards, had cisterns but for the living area used a lot of concrete and block and was 'leeward' facing and result was absolutely no need for cooling.

A common form of 'eco build' is to build with hollow slabs and pass the air to be conditioned through those slabs to maintain stable air temperatures with minimal heating and cooling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast