Where do you get good cheap grub?

robalec

Jun 17, 2015
What eating spots have you found? For example, it's been 7 years since I've been to SD, but remember going with a Dominican to this local sandwich shop, like an outdoor counter place, that was raging with customers, we took a few sandwiches before going to the mall. I remember the sandwiches were hot, good, and cheap. However, don't remember where the place is.

So anyway, I'm hoping some of you out there would share the info regarding some good 'hole in the wall' places you know about.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Barra Payan

#140, 30 de marzo

barra-payan.jpg

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
[video]http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/58700/eu-referendum-the-pros-and-cons-of-britain-leaving-the-eu[/video]

I had a sandwich there, nothing to write home about. The smoothy was good. But it is hugely popular.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
[video]http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/58700/eu-referendum-the-pros-and-cons-of-britain-leaving-the-eu[/video]

I had a sandwich there, nothing to write home about. The smoothy was good. But it is hugely popular.

What's up with this link?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
nothing good about Dominican food. Better to go to Jamaica or Cuba!

The Cuban food I have had is no better than Dominican food. Cuba seems to be another island that spice forgot. For that matter the Puerto Rican food I had was also in the same "boat" or should I say Yola?

Aug 6, 2006
Sorry about the bad link, it should have been:

A Dominican Late-Night Eatery

The Especial Barra Payan sandwich that is ordered and devoured here is roast pork, cheese, ham, tomatoes and ketchup on white bread pressed on a grill.

Except for the ketchup, that is very close to the same thing as they call a "sandwich cubano". It is a winning combination, though perhaps I might like it more without the ketchup. Roast port, cheese and ham without the bread is basically what the French call a "cordon blue".

While Dominican and Cuban food are not among the worlds great cuisines overall, there are several dishes that are really good, and this is one of them. The Cuban pan con bistec is another (muenster or mozarella cheese on grilled steak, often served with shoestring potatoes inside the sandwich, also grilled on a press like a panini. Dominican sancocho can be great, as can Cuban lechon asado.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I once found an old Dominican cookbook filled with "Tipico" recipies.
It was only one page long.
"Mix Salt, sugar, and fat" in equal quantities, add anything else you have, cook on HIGH HEAT until it turns to "MUSH", serve over rice,...repeat 3 times a day!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
When I travel I like to eat the local food of the place... unfortunately SD has left ALOT to be desired if you are a "foodie". You have your traditional " Comedores" which serve traditional "bandera " ( see rice beans and stewed meat) and joints that sell " fritura" ( see every part of the pig fried)
. If your coming from NYC , don't eat the pizza ( we have the best here and nothing compares) and just stick to the traditional food there.

I had one of the best meals in SDQ airport where all the employees eat at the " Esquina Criolla" and had a great bacalao with rice and beans.

Barra Payan while not anything amazing ... it is a good deal and a good sandwich for what is available I guess. I have been to adrian tropical and several places in el malecon and zona colonial and its just OK .

Somone on here said it best when they said " Cuba and DR are the islands that spice forgot.

In comparison ... I am obsessed with Mexican & Peruvian food... the flavors, aromas and gastronomy is just simply does not compare !!

:(

I believe eating for pleasure & not for survival is a past time of more developed nations and not that of developing countries. I still love the DR for vacation and will continue to visit... just lower your expectations when it comes to cuisine.

Now if there are ANY suggestions PLEASE let me know

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Furthemore... most seasings or base for stewing meats is the same : tomato sauce, sopita, sazon liquido, cilantro, cebolla, ajo, ajillo

robalec

Jun 17, 2015
edit: oops cheap

Barra Payan, Gastronomia Mexicana, Joaquin Pierna (Cafecito), Tacondo, Cachapas & Mas, Chinotaco, Villar Hermanos, Don Jose, Jose Hot Dog

Thank you for being on point here. It's amazing how fast these threads can digress way off topic.