You CAN't Beat Them!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After the hurricane here 17 years ago, it was impossible to find any 5 gallon bottles of drinking water.
I had filled "OUR" 3 bottles before the storm hit.
Then my wife gave one to her sister, along with "OUR" small "Emergency" tank of cooking gas.
I got that because they ALWAYS let t e big tank rum out!!!!!

I got a big iron bottle rack that holds 30 of the 5 gallon bottles, like at a colmado, and 20 bottles of water.
I also got another big tank for "Gas"!
I told my mother-in-law, I had NO HOPE my wife would do it, to call the bottled water service whenever there were 10 empty bottles, to deliver 10 more.

Today I sit in "MY CHAIR", staring at TWO empty tanks of gas, and my mother-in-law just asked if she could call for a water bottle delivery.
When I asked how many bottles she was going to order, she said, without any change of expression,....Wait For It,..."20"!!!
I sarcastically said, "I guess I'll get another rack, and 20 more bottles"!!!!!

Again, without any change of expression,..she said,..."No I don't think we need any more bottles"!!!

AND SHE, next to ME Of Course, is the smartest person in the house!!!!

They CAN NOT think to get MORE Before anything runs out, and if you think you can buy 3 pounds of coffee, or 4 cartons of milk, so you can get more when there is still one left, you are WRONG!!!!
You will find all the coffee, and all the milk, and anything else you buy more than one of, ALL OPEN at the SAME TIME!!!!!
I used to think, "OK, I'll let them run out of sugar, rice, beans, cooking oil and they will THEN GET IT"!!!!!!

They Don't/Won't!
They just call the colmado and 5 minutes later it is at the door, AT TWICE the super market price, but they don't care, "Papi Gordo" gets to PAY!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
That is called ConBenience...

great story... lol... sorry to laugh, not at you ,but with you..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My mother-in-law is afflicted with the same disease. We store the spare gas tank where she can't access it, and same for oil, rice, beans, coffee and toilet paper and dole it out when she has nothing left. She has plenty of money to buy more, has credit at all the colmados...etc but always waits to the last moment to get anything.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
After the hurricane here 17 years ago, it was impossible to find any 5 gallon bottles of drinking water.
Then my wife gave one to her sister, along with "OUR" small "Emergency" tank of cooking gas.

I got a big iron bottle rack that holds 30 of the 5 gallon bottles, like at a colmado, and 20 bottles of water.
I told my mother-in-law, I had NO HOPE my wife would do it, to call the bottled water service whenever there were 10 empty bottles, to deliver 10 more.

Today I sit in "MY CHAIR", staring at TWO empty tanks of gas, and my mother-in-law just asked if she could call for a water bottle delivery.
When I asked how many bottles she was going to order, she said, without any change of expression,....Wait For It,..."20"!!!

Again, without any change of expression,..she said,..."No I don't think we need any more bottles"!!!

They CAN NOT think to get MORE Before anything runs out, and if you think you can buy 3 pounds of coffee, or 4 cartons of milk, so you can get more when there is still one left, you are WRONG!!!!
You will find all the coffee, and all the milk, and anything else you buy more than one of, ALL OPEN at the SAME TIME!!!!!
I used to think, "OK, I'll let them run out of sugar, rice, beans, cooking oil and they will THEN GET IT"!!!!!!

They Don't/Won't!
They just call the colmado and 5 minutes later it is at the door, AT TWICE the super market price, but they don't care, "Papi Gordo" gets to PAY!!!

Oh come on, you live here soooooo long, you should know they will ever, never, jamas "GET IT"!
It's the "day-to-day" attitude...sometimes I am kind of jealous I don't have a little bit of that, would be more "relaxing"...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I call it the "Tropical Paradise Syndrome"!!!!
Show me ANY "Tropical Country" that is "First World"???????????
There ain't any!!
Over the "Millenia" peoples in tropical areas never had to "Prepare" for winter.
They weren't going to freeze, or go hungry.
In areas where you will need to have food, and warm shelter, they "Get It",..."Prepare, or DIE"!

There is no"Papi Gordo", or a "Colmado" to bail you out at "20 Below"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to say I'm wrong,...what about Australia, or Singapore???
I say, they were settled by people from "Cold Places',...England and China!!!!!!

Look at the difference between people from northern USA, ITALY,or northern China.
Which group are more successful?

What the F#%K was in my "cafe" this morning ????????????????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My gas tank's been empty for over 2 weeks now. Told the hubby 3 weeks ago that I need his help cause I ain't breaking my back getting it into the car (I can't even unscrew the nozzle). I don't mind though, less cooking for me and he's the one that's not getting his espresso every morning. The other night he felt like eating pasta, told him, "Sure! Your treat?".

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
After 40 years of subtle training, I'm finally getting Mr. AE to refill the BBQ propane tank when he connects the spare. Sometimes.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I was trained by my mother to have enough of everything in the house at all times, in case of a nuclear attack or war :) We could have survived in our basement for 6 months.

Old habits are hard to break, for me and for him.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
IF I may ask, how much is GAS ( propane) I never actually priced it or bothered to look
.. just curious.. $ / lb ? or what not...

I did used to drive into the " gas" stations by accident when I first used to come down.. which must have been a hoot for the guys working there , shaking their heads.. " estupido Gringo.."..lol

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005

They Don't/Won't!

Don't fret CCCCCC its the same on a job site.....you pay a Dominican and you don't see him till his money runs out........
And they wonder why they need the Haitians.....

Apr 7, 2014
I call it the "Tropical Paradise Syndrome"!!!!
Show me ANY "Tropical Country" that is "First World"???????????
There ain't any!!
Over the "Millenia" peoples in tropical areas never had to "Prepare" for winter.
They weren't going to freeze, or go hungry.
In areas where you will need to have food, and warm shelter, they "Get It",..."Prepare, or DIE"!

There is no"Papi Gordo", or a "Colmado" to bail you out at "20 Below"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to say I'm wrong,...what about Australia, or Singapore???
I say, they were settled by people from "Cold Places',...England and China!!!!!!

Look at the difference between people from northern USA, ITALY,or northern China.
Which group are more successful?

What the F#%K was in my "cafe" this morning ????????????????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Or it could just be that whack ass religion telling them "Si Dios quiere"? Si Dios quiere I will not slack off, but Dios debe querer that I slack off because I do it so often. Si Dios quiere is a blanket statement for self serving apathy.

And this isnt a Dominican thing. This is a Latinamerica thing. Maybe Spanish is a servant based language?

Dildo Scroggins, Country Music Star for Middle Earth

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
Odd that they sell propane by the gallon. Easier and more consistent to sell by weight. In the US around here, they charge $10 to fill a 25 pound tank, regardless of what's left in it.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Or it could just be that whack ass religion telling them "Si Dios quiere"? Si Dios quiere I will not slack off, but Dios debe querer that I slack off because I do it so often. Si Dios quiere is a blanket statement for self serving apathy.

And this isnt a Dominican thing. This is a Latinamerica thing. Maybe Spanish is a servant based language?

Dildo Scroggins, Country Music Star for Middle Earth

Mom is always saying this.

Ex:

Me) Ma, te llamo manana ok.
Mom) Si dios queres hijo.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
After 40 years of subtle training, I'm finally getting Mr. AE to refill the BBQ propane tank when he connects the spare. Sometimes.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I was trained by my mother to have enough of everything in the house at all times, in case of a nuclear attack or war :) We could have survived in our basement for 6 months.

Old habits are hard to break, for me and for him.

My first wife's parents, right of the da boat from Italy had enough tomato paste, toothpaste, toilet paper, and margarine in the basement to last at least five years. My brother-in-law used to shift the piles just to get the old man excited.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
What I like is that a 'Big' version of anything at all runs out quicker than the economy pack and the last little bit seems to last twice as long.

Must be the 'got too much ' effect...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What I like is that a 'Big' version of anything at all runs out quicker than the economy pack and the last little bit seems to last twice as long.

Must be the 'got too much ' effect...

my buddy is a guy with a lot of loose cash, and he is not afraid to blow money. he would take his girlfriend to the supermarket and just splurge on groceries. one day he bought one of those loaves of sliced bread that must be designed for restaurants. the thing was done in two days. it is like if some guys see it, it has to be eaten in one sitting. 3 people in a house, 2 bottles of 2 liter Pepsi in one afternoon...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
my buddy is a guy with a lot of loose cash, and he is not afraid to blow money. he would take his girlfriend to the supermarket and just splurge on groceries. one day he bought one of those loaves of sliced bread that must be designed for restaurants. the thing was done in two days. it is like if some guys see it, it has to be eaten in one sitting. 3 people in a house, 2 bottles of 2 liter Pepsi in one afternoon...

U see thats the thing.. each one of those 3 people is thinking " I better drink my share before the other 2 do it for me ".. thats the mentality... but then again, when you come from an Evironment of NOT having, when you do have you are going to stuff yourself, no matter what it is, Bread , soda...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
U see thats the thing.. each one of those 3 people is thinking " I better drink my share before the other 2 do it for me ".. thats the mentality... but then again, when you come from an Evironment of NOT having, when you do have you are going to stuff yourself, no matter what it is, Bread , soda...

that is exactly how i figured it. too many days with nothing in the refrigerator, so let us make up for those days by splurging good today.