Accident with Victims Every 82 Minutes in DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've had several threads about recent accidents on the north coast, but it's countrywide. According to this artile [google translate] there's an accident with a victim every hour and 22 minutes. Santo Domingo is the worst.

Be careful out there

=============

Dominican Republic records every hour and 22 minutes an accident with victims

71% of victims were generated in eight provinces

EVENTS | 31 JUL 2015, 12:00 AM |FEDERICO MENDEZ

SD. In 2014, every hour and 22 minutes in the Dominican Republic there was a traffic accident victims where 61% of the cases was involved a motorcycle.

Whereas in cases fatalities was participated by 64%.

The average monthly engines victims amounted to 607 this year, equivalent to an average of 100 motorcyclists killed per month, while injured reached 507.

The victims had recorded a balance of 7,278 in 5,583 casualties, although it experienced a decrease in the number of deaths of 0.3% over the previous year.

The information is contained in the new edition of "Indicators of Accidents Road in Dominican Republic", which is a research and analysis of road safety in the country, produced by Mario Holguin and Hugo Beras, during a ceremony headed by the Attorney General of the Republic, Francisco Dominguez Brito.

The indicator on the injured closed 2014 with a value of 128.37 injuries per 100,000, 50.97% higher than in 2013. It argues that the death rate from road accidents that year plunged 1.35 deaths per 100,000 over the previous year , when placed in 39.4 deaths per hundred inhabitants, without reaching the value of 2012. It states that the risk of a vehicle involved in an accident on the roads increased by 4% in 2014 compared to 2013, reaching the value of 300.03 per 100,000 vehicles.

Social motorization index in 2014 decreased by 4% over the previous year, so that today the figure is 2.91 people per vehicle against 3.03 in 2013.

As for all motorcycles (1,803,328 units), 56.5% are over 20 years of use, a relationship that could be greatly enhanced by the large number of illegal motorcycles transiting the country. With regard to the vehicle fleet of the country, the DGII closed 2014 with a record of 3,398,662 units, which is 53.1% of motorcycles.

Intercity expressways
Intercity expressways in the country 4,688 victims, as many were recorded in 2014 than in any other infrastructure. The report indicates that, even in residential parking incidents were reported. Of the 1855 deaths across the country, according to the underreporting of AMET, the hardest hit was the province of Santo Domingo with 242 fatalities. However, the National District accumulated the largest number of victims (dead + injured) for the same cause by reporting a total of 3,687 affected.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
And these are the reported accidents!? How many accidents / hit n runs are not reported. Just like crime, the numbers are way way higher.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there was an article about this, maybe i have linked in in another thread. it says the data is only about the victims who die on the spot. anyone who dies on a way to the hospital or shortly thereafter in not included in the statistics.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Easy to save yourself pull off the road every hour and 22 minutes so you don't become a statistic. Ha Ha

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I was thinking of opening a defensive driving school on the north coast but they would not allow me to import a Bradley.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Another article today on the subject -

http://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...-Republic-traffic-deaths-like-a-nation-at-war

Dominican Republic traffic deaths ?like a nation at war?

The Catholic Church on Thursday called number of people who lose their lives in traffic accidents alarming, so much so that it gives the impression that the statistics are reports “from a war in a nation in conflict."

In its latest edition of weekly publication Camino with the Op-Ed titled "dying on the roads," the Archbishop of Santiago notes around 1,500 people are killed and 3,000 hurt many with permanent injuries in the country each year and, to verify that data “one only has to follow the news of the weekend.”

Citing UN figures Camino says it?s a regret that the country ranks second in the world in road carnage, among the 182 nations on the more traffic deaths per 100,000 inhabitants, with a rate of 41.7 deaths.

It adds that the data shows that only the Pacific island of Niue exceeds Dominican Republic in that ranking.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Last week we were waiting to pay at the first toll east of SD. We were in the middle of a conversation about how dangerous it is to drive here, when lo and behold a car in the next line piles into the back of a big white bus.

The guy driving the car looks over at us and then to what remains of his front end, in shock. Like it's a large stationary bus stopped at a toll booth, in the middle of the afternoon. Thankfully no one was hurt but so many times accidents here are avoidable.

That same day, we saw AMET with speed radar parked every 5-10 kms on the Samana highway. Maybe, just maybe, if they can do their jobs, it will help?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't remember if it was late last year or early this year that I saw a ranking in which the DR ranked second worldwide in vehicle accident deaths. Some tiny postage stamp size island in the Pacific Ocean was first.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i am amazed that there are still people alive in the DR, what with the driving issues. i went to San Francisco de Macoris yesterday, and decided that i would rather just spend the night in Nagua, rather than go back to POP. well, if you have to go by public transportation from SFM to Nagua, be on notice that there are no buses. you go in the back of a pickup truck! yes, they are licensed public carriers!

i can understand some guys bumming a ride in the back of a pickup, but to license them to carry paying passengers is something i cannot wrap my head around.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
This is one of the reasons I have installed a dash cam in my vehicle. I think most gringos should do the same. Most foreign drivers come from countries where strict driving rules are enforced and actually have to earn a driver's licence. Plus many foreigners can actually afford to keep their vehicles in a reasonable roadworthy condition.

When you mix that with bad drivers, vehicles in unroadworthy condition and the Latin mentality, you get a lethal combination. But when an accident involves a gringo, for some bizarre reason, it's the gringo's fault!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is one of the reasons I have installed a dash cam in my vehicle. I think most gringos should do the same. Most foreign drivers come from countries where strict driving rules are enforced and actually have to earn a driver's licence. Plus many foreigners can actually afford to keep their vehicles in a reasonable roadworthy condition.

When you mix that with bad drivers, vehicles in unroadworthy condition and the Latin mentality, you get a lethal combination. But when an accident involves a gringo, for some bizarre reason, it's the gringo's fault!

the reason is not that bizarre. it is simple, really. the concept of personal responsibility has not been explored here yet. that is why the national motto is ....no es mi culpa.