It Is Always The Gringo's Fault

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Barbacoa, Las Terrenas, Saman?

Although this happened in Saman?, I am posting it here, because I know it could have happened anywhere in this 'paradise'. :tired:

A European 'gringo' was driving his SUV when he was rear-ended by a young Dominican on a scooter.
The Dominican wanted the 'gringo' to pay for the damages on his scooter.

The 2 vehicles were taken 'preso' at the local police station (in LT), where the 'gringo' was threatened by the police and the 'fiscal' to pay up, otherwise his vehicle would be held.

?Y el gringo paga! - InfosDiario.com - Las Terrenas

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Every time I read a story like this my blood pressure goes up.

And then people wonder why accidents often end in violence there.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Corrupt bastards. In helping the scooter driver they make sure to get their share...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Barbacoa, Las Terrenas, Saman?

Although this happened in Saman?, I am posting it here, because I know it could have happened anywhere in this 'paradise'. :tired:

A European 'gringo' was driving his SUV when he was rear-ended by a young Dominican on a scooter.
The Dominican wanted the 'gringo' to pay for the damages on his scooter.

The 2 vehicles were taken 'preso' at the local police station (in LT), where the 'gringo' was threatened by the police and the 'fiscal' to pay up, otherwise his vehicle would be held.

?Y el gringo paga! - InfosDiario.com - Las Terrenas

donP

well, Kathleen Peddicord wrote this about the DR in her 5 reasons to move here..

What sets the DR apart from other Caribbean islands and nations is its more sophisticated lifestyle -- one that is strongly European

there you have it. it?s part of the sophistication.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The first thing I did when I bought my last car was had front and rear bumpers put on it. They hit me it is on them not me. I just keep on trucking.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The Euros problem was he STOPPED......
God Forgive me, but if i ever get into a small accident, and Im SURE the guy is OK ..and not seriously hurt.. I will DRIVE AWAY like it never happened...
If you feel guilty about it.. have someone bring him some Money... but do NOT stop, unless there is no way out.
But i guess its harder for a Local to do that. but Eye witnesses, I could care less.. Unless they block the road in front of me, im driving the f out of there..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If they block the road, gun the car and see how fast a Dominican can move.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The first thing I did when I bought my last car was had front and rear bumpers put on it. They hit me it is on them not me. I just keep on trucking.

I love those bumpers. I can't wait to get a set.

I get a chuckle when in I see these in the States.

westin-sportsman-black-grille-guard.jpg

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sky, did you buy them in DR? Custom or readily available? Approximate cost?

Bought them in Santiago. Off of Feb. 27 near the Stadium. They sell them and install them for you. Also had an ambulance siren put in to get these motos moving out of my way. I don't remember what I paid for this.

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Wonderful Dominicans do this scam in NY,NJ,CT also. They hit their brake and you back end them.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ME HERE IN SD TWICE.
THE GUY DID IT ON PURPOSE.
I just pulled away with him in hot persuit yelling for me to stop.
I stopped at the first policeman I saw, gave him 500 pesos and said there is a crazy man following me, please make him STOP!!!!
He got his "CUT" on the spot, and I kept going!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC