Value of grazing rights for livestock..

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2006
Wondering how this works. Say you have a nice sized solar with good forage. Can you lease the land for a herd of cattle, calf and cow, or goats? How is it valued? Weight in vs weight out or number of forage days? I have no interest in raising livestock myself, but I wonder it might be a way to have a turnkey income with a low start-up cost..

May 29, 2006
Ah well. Reading that in the US they use something called AUM(Animal Unit Month) and that for good forage $20/AUM is typical. Bulls count for more than one unit so of course, calves count for less. Seems like a win win.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You,....must be joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Slow day???????????
Ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Once in a while, a neighborhood chicken wanders into my "solar".
"Chicken" the original "White Meat",...."It's What's For Dinner"!!!!!

A nice goat might be good!!!!!!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I know someone who rents out pasture in Canada at $1.25 per cow/calf pair per day. Usually 90 days from June- September. I can't see how that would be feasible here, because the farmers with enough livestock to be worthwhile would use their own land. Those who don't have pasture land just use an empty lot or the side of the road.

May 29, 2006
Which is part of the reason most cattle take longer in the DR to get to market weight and have little muscle fat.. garbage in, garbage out.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I can't see how that would be feasible here, because the farmers with enough livestock to be worthwhile would use their own land. Those who don't have pasture land just use an empty lot or the side of the road.

that sums it up. farmers with lots of animals have enough land. those who only have few cows/horses use any strip of land available.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No one pays anyone to graze their animals where we live. They just tie them up alongside the roads and let them eat weeds. Every so often a cow finds its way onto our property. A friend has 3 horses, we let him bring them onto our property from time to time to graze, but on long ropes so they don't get into planted areas.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I know someone who rents out pasture in Canada at $1.25 per cow/calf pair per day. Usually 90 days from June- September. I can't see how that would be feasible here, because the farmers with enough livestock to be worthwhile would use their own land. Those who don't have pasture land just use an empty lot or the side of the road.

Sure, if you're talking about just a few cows or horses, or some basic, non-commercial application. But if you're talking real numbers, then there's a charge.

You remember this guy? Cliven Bundy will be held accountable, Interior secretary says | TheHill

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Those who don't have pasture land just use an empty lot or the side of the road.

Recently I was taking a shortcut path thru some woods (north coast) and saw something thru the trees on one side. About 50' feet in someone had built a small pen. And what looked like a living/camping area under a blue tarp. Inside the pen was the biggest hog I have seen. it was a hogzilla. Size of a small horse. When I stopped a couple people stuck their heads up to see what I was up to.

I wanted to walk back and see the hog, but didn't want to be dinner for the hog that day. I kept going. The people raising that hog did not own the land. They just set up shop in the boonies and baby-sat the pig.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
pasture rental

Wondering how this works. Say you have a nice sized solar with good forage. Can you lease the land for a herd of cattle, calf and cow, or goats? How is it valued? Weight in vs weight out or number of forage days? I have no interest in raising livestock myself, but I wonder it might be a way to have a turnkey income with a low start-up cost..

right now I am paying 500 pesos per cow per month as our pastures have no food.

Other times we rent out a section of our farm about 10 tarereas for 1500 pesos per month.

May 29, 2006
Thanks for the info.. Since grazing land isn't well managed(if managed at all), I'm not surprised it has little current value. With good graze, cattle can put on 2-3 pounds a day, but not if they have to lose time foraging to eat spent bagasse or if their range is overused.

There's been a lot of research on intermittent intensive grazing. You contain a herd in small pastures with electric fence so they eat everything down to ground, including the plants they don't like. You go on a 20-30 day rotation so each lot can recover..
[video=youtube;lZvXOhkjutg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZvXOhkjutg[/video]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.