Cable Internet Service Availability in Santo Domingo?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello Everyone,

I pre-searched my question but couldn't find an answer.
I live in San Carlos, Santo Domingo. For my internet service I use an ADSL2 modem with Claro. The bandwidth is poor (average 3 Mbps download and 0.5 Mbps upload) for a price of RD 2300 per month.

The main reason for the slow bandwidth is that DSL lines are much slower than cable co-axial lines running the newest standard, DOCSIS 3.0. Unfortunately the Claro agent was very mealy-mouthed about whether they do or do not offer this service and I could find nothing on the claro.com.do website, cable television packages, yes, but no mention made of Internet with specifications of bandwidths and plans. Maybe she was mealy-mouthed because they don't offer cable internet service and she didn't want to lose a client.

So the question is: Is there an ISP in Santo Domingo that offers cable modem (DOCSIS) service? BTW, "DOCSIS" is a standard that applies to cable only, the first three words being "data over cable." And if you can speak from your personal experience, even better!

Thanks!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I suggest to get a Tricom Smart Box.

I have it and use their plan with 30mb down and 2 mb up (in Miramar, SDQ where Claro can't provide more than 3mb imagine that). It includes Cable TV and phone service.

Couldn't be happier with it. Faster and much more reliable than anything I ever had from Claro.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Is there such a cable company that only provides a cable TV service these days? I haven't seen one. Figure out what cable company services your neighbourhood and give them a call. Then immediately call Claro and get your name on the waiting list for a fibre optic connection when it become available.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...Claro and get your name on the waiting list for a fibre optic connection when it become available..."

If ever...

Before moving to SDQ I was told there is fiber optic in my area. When moving here I learned that crappy Claro only can provide 3 MB in this area because they still have to change the old cables etc. bla bla bla.

Capital Tricom rules all the way IMO.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why am I not surprised about poor service from anything CLARO?

Because I know how incompetent they are.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Here's the list of fiber optic availability in Santo Domingo although I don't know how reliable it is (even though I get it from claro.com.do):

Altos de Arroyo Hondo II (Cerros de Arroyo Hondo, Cuesta Hermosa II, Isabel Villas)
La Julia
Evaristo Morales
La Esperilla
Naco
Serrall?s
Para?so
Los Cacicazgos
Julieta Morales
El Vergel
Piantini
Bella Vista
Viejo Arroyo Hondo
La Castellana
Nuevo Arroyo Hondo
Quisqueya
Urb. Renacimiento y Real
Mirador Norte
Arroyo Hondo III
Mirador Sur
Carmen Mar?a
Los Millones
Altos de Arroyo Hondo I (Carmen Mar?a, Villa Claudia, Villa Amanda, Villa Isabel y Villa Graciela, Ciudad Real, Prado Verde, Nuevas Terrazas, Miguelina)
Los Prados
Altos de Arroyo Hondo I (Ciudad Real)
Cuesta Brava (Arroyo Manzano)
San Ger?nimo
Los Rios
Atala
El Milloncito
Rocamar
Restauradores
Rosmil
Ciudad Real II
Don Honorio - El Condado
Las Praderas
Gazcue (La Primavera, Ensanche Lugo e Independencia)
Ciudad Modelo
Colinas del Arroyo
Colinas del Oeste y LP8
Miraflores
Roalva
El Dorado III
Don Bosco
Proceres Constelaci?n Gala

You can view it too here:
Internet Fijo - Internet | Personas | Claro Rep?blica Dominicana

Click "Resumen" then under the Internet Fibra Optica click "Ver Mas" and it tells you the neighborhoods where it should be available.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
I just got fiber optic installed today, colinas del oeste. I ordered 20 mbs and so far so good. It seems pretty fast.

mykulairon

Jul 14, 2012
Glad I found this. So, I know i'm kind of a brat because i'm used to my lovely internet speeds in the states but, I need a service that will allow me to stream Netflix and use my social media sites to keep in touch with friends and family in the states. Suggestions? (Why is there no unlimited plan Anywhere???) I'm in Santo Domingo

cmantis

Jul 4, 2019
Can anyone in Ciudad Real II verify there is fiber optic or recommend best (hopefully unlimited) plan?

cmantis

Jul 4, 2019
I confirmed that both Claro and Altice offer fiber optic. Which company is better and more reliable? Claro is 100/10 and most expensive while Altice claims double the speed 200/20 for slightly less. However I have a feeling they might just be saying that to gey customers.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I confirmed that both Claro and Altice offer fiber optic. Which company is better and more reliable? Claro is 100/10 and most expensive while Altice claims double the speed 200/20 for slightly less. However I have a feeling they might just be saying that to gey customers.

Pick your poison.

I had Claro 10 mbps up until a couple of years ago and it was OK, but never got 10K.

Can't speak for the Altice, but if you go for it, get the 200/20.

Edit: those who have Altice are saying no go. Stick with Claro

Feb 7, 2007
Pick your poison.

I had Claro 10 mbps up until a couple of years ago and it was OK, but never got 10K.

Can't speak for the Altice, but if you go for it, get the 200/20.

Edit: those who have Altice are saying no go. Stick with Claro

Those that have Altice say "no sirve". If you are enterprise, then Altice fiber is superior to Claro fiber. But residential HFC, Altice is a "buyer beware".