Swimming Lesson Recommendation

Aug 5, 2015
I am a 30 year old male that does not know how to swim (not even a little). I figure lessons may be cheaper in Santo Domingo than in my native NYC, so I am considering taking some lessons while I'm in town visiting my father. Anyone here able to provide me with a short list of possible options. I would truly appreciate it. Thank you for time. I'm fully fluent in Spanish too and it won't be my first time in DR, so...dejenme saber. Gracias

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i feel for you. i learnt how to swim when i was 29. it ain't easy. anyways, my SIL sends her kiddo (under two) to a teacher who comes from SD. she does regular classes in various cities, as required. her name is carmen rosa and the number is 809 848 5280. she speaks english and spanish. she is supposed to be very good. i do not know her prices.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Club Amoprossan in Santiago runs swimming classes Tues-Thurs throughout the year. Requires a membership or a guest pass

Aug 5, 2015
Thanks Jinty05, but I will spend 90% of my time in Santo Domingo.

KateP, I will check that link out.

I am mostly coming to DR to visit my father, but I will be there for 2 weeks and it won't be my first time, so I kind of wanted to do some other stuff (swim lessons, dance lessons, etc. )and pick up some skills while I'm here.

Aug 5, 2015
Hello KateP, I checked the link that you provided me, but that place is not in La Republica Dominicana. The link you sent me is for a place in Costa Rica (looked nice by the way). If anyone else has any tips or info. please pass it along. Thanks.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I can appreciate the desire to save some money. However, the DR is not necessarily the easiest place to accomplish some things regardless of price.

Swimming is a fundamental life skill. I applaud you for recognizing the advantages of being able to swim. Learn to swim where it is easiest and most convenient to do so. Is this happens to be in the DR, great, it not, then sign up for lessons at your local YMCA, community swimming pool or where ever. Don't use the cost as a reason to procrastinate further.

...and promise yourself, if you ever have kids of your own, you won't let them get to the age of 30 before proving swimming lessons for them. Any age after 5 would be a good time to start.

Good luck and get it done. And since you currently cannot swim, just to make sure you know, this isn't a skill you are going to be able to master in a week, right?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Hello KateP, I checked the link that you provided me, but that place is not in La Republica Dominicana. The link you sent me is for a place in Costa Rica (looked nice by the way). If anyone else has any tips or info. please pass it along. Thanks.

check the lady from my post, she is in SD most of the time.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004

Oops! Sorry about that! Was really impressed that there was such a nice, organized place in Santo Domingo lol

Aug 5, 2015
Hello,

I didn't feel like starting a new thread (but might if this one gets no traction). I STILL have not taken 1 single swimming lesson. No one to blame but myself, but also, no one can fix this situation but myself.

@Cdn_Gringo I re-read your comment, and while I may not be able to master swimming in 1 week, this time around I think I'll have 2 weeks (lol). Seriously though, I wouldn't be looking to master it, but if I can get a handful of beginner's lessons in while I'm in country visiting my family, then I see that as a good way to spend time at a relatively low price (I live in NYC, so swimming lessons are much more expensive in my area).

I AM FULLY AWARE THAT THERE ARE COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS ON PLANET EARTH RIGHT NOW, but I know that sometimes there is a difference between what we hear in the news versus what is actually going on once you land on foreign soil. Can any of you let me know if there are even places I'd be able to go to during the month of March and early April that may accommodate my request for some swim lessons? If necessary, I'm willing to pay for a Covid-19 test while in the DR before stepping foot into a gym or aquatic center. Swimming instruction in English is preferred, but I'm about 90 % fluent in Spanish so that is fine as well. I'd preferably want a place in the Zona Colonial area or a place that's within 3-4 blocks (walking) of any Metro station.

Also, I am fully aware that all of this may be impossible given the current situation, but if things lighten up later in the year, can anyone recommend a hotel or AirBNB for me that would give me access to my own private pool. By private I mean that for those days I am renting it, no one else can use it. No other residents of the area, tourists, etc. I'd be looking for a decently sized pool as well, not like some jacuzzi, where, while it would be easier to get a private one, wouldn't help me overcome my fear of swimming because the pool wouldn't be deep enough. This private pool experience doesn't have to be in Santo Domingo. Please let me know what city I may be able to find something like this (during non-Covid times) and please provide a link if possible.

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks for reading.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hello,

I didn't feel like starting a new thread (but might if this one gets no traction). I STILL have not taken 1 single swimming lesson. No one to blame but myself, but also, no one can fix this situation but myself.

@Cdn_Gringo I re-read your comment, and while I may not be able to master swimming in 1 week, this time around I think I'll have 2 weeks (lol). Seriously though, I wouldn't be looking to master it, but if I can get a handful of beginner's lessons in while I'm in country visiting my family, then I see that as a good way to spend time at a relatively low price (I live in NYC, so swimming lessons are much more expensive in my area).

I AM FULLY AWARE THAT THERE ARE COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS ON PLANET EARTH RIGHT NOW, but I know that sometimes there is a difference between what we hear in the news versus what is actually going on once you land on foreign soil. Can any of you let me know if there are even places I'd be able to go to during the month of March and early April that may accommodate my request for some swim lessons? If necessary, I'm willing to pay for a Covid-19 test while in the DR before stepping foot into a gym or aquatic center. Swimming instruction in English is preferred, but I'm about 90 % fluent in Spanish so that is fine as well. I'd preferably want a place in the Zona Colonial area or a place that's within 3-4 blocks (walking) of any Metro station.

Also, I am fully aware that all of this may be impossible given the current situation, but if things lighten up later in the year, can anyone recommend a hotel or AirBNB for me that would give me access to my own private pool. By private I mean that for those days I am renting it, no one else can use it. No other residents of the area, tourists, etc. I'd be looking for a decently sized pool as well, not like some jacuzzi, where, while it would be easier to get a private one, wouldn't help me overcome my fear of swimming because the pool wouldn't be deep enough. This private pool experience doesn't have to be in Santo Domingo. Please let me know what city I may be able to find something like this (during non-Covid times) and please provide a link if possible.

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks for reading.
maybe you could investigate this place https://www.facebook.com/academiastono/