foreigners real estate to crash

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
With the new rules on foreigner (non) legalization , and cops stopping you all the time , everyone driving illegally as they cant get a DR drivers licence , with insurance (auto and health) that doesn't even cover you if you pay
the premiums, I think most will eventually decide to pack up and sell their houses and apartments .

Should be some great deals for anyone stupid enough to buy them .

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
One solution, of course, may be to get legal...................I don't understand why so many ex-pats refuse to get organized, insisting on staying illegal and then permanently bitching about not being able to get a driving license etc., not being able to bank etc., etc., etc., it's as if they feel it infringes on their self-appointed Alpha-Male status if they actually have to obey laws and follow the rules and regulations of their adopted abode..................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Imagine people actually having to be in a country legally to do all these things like drive legally, have insurance, and more? Get used to it.

Drperson, what can I do in your country if I am not legally there?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe the solution is to get the residency? just a thought. i know it sounds very revolutionary and shocking.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Buying property is one means of securing residency here. So property owners are really incented to finish the job and get legal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sometimes I wonder about the thought processes here

My first trip here (after vacations) was to the lawyer's office to get legal........
After that, life is quite straightforward .......

Just a crock........... or as we said in the seminary.....PoppyCock

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
With the new rules on foreigner (non) legalization , and cops stopping you all the time , everyone driving illegally as they cant get a DR drivers licence , with insurance (auto and health) that doesn't even cover you if you pay
the premiums, I think most will eventually decide to pack up and sell their houses and apartments .

Almost never get stopped by the cops, they look at my stickers and wave me on. I'm legal, have insurance, DR drivers license, health insure ( Palic) that covered all but 500 pesos out of 8000 so I don't know what you are bitching about. Just become legal- it easier than the alternative.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
One solution, of course, may be to get legal...................I don't understand why so many ex-pats refuse to get organized, insisting on staying illegal and then permanently bitching about not being able to get a driving license etc., not being able to bank etc., etc., etc., it's as if they feel it infringes on their self-appointed Alpha-Male status if they actually have to obey laws and follow the rules and regulations of their adopted abode..................

Hard to argue with that logic Bryanell.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Many on DR1 seem to think people stay long enough to become a resident. Snowbirds at this time cannot get legal....many, many condos and homes are held by snowbirds. Many things for people staying less than 6 months are going to be a problem.

Wish it were as simple as "Just get legal". I know I have made other plans, with other countries as they are much easier to deal with as far as immigration goes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Those in the know have said that the Haitian issue is job one. Then the other issues and details on snowbirds and other visas are forthcoming. Maybe that is true.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I don't see it happening Mr Drperson. I think as the D.R. tries to get more moder with the imigration laws the more it will keep out the ones looking for the cheapest lifestyle, able to hide from thier past, or not having to obey laws. With less of these foreigners the D.R. will be a better place. Good bye and good riddens.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Those in the know have said that the Haitian issue is job one. Then the other issues and details on snowbirds and other visas are forthcoming. Maybe that is true.

The Haitian issue will take decades to solve. The snowbirds are about a month or so from arrival, many do not know what changes have been made. It should be interesting.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
That's what I am talking about - snowbirds.

The Haitian issue will take decades to solve. The snowbirds are about a month or so from arrival, many do not know what changes have been made. It should be interesting.

What snowbird in their right mind would every buy now in say punts Cana, if they knew the situation now.
(Or build a house for that matter)

Or course who really needs them. All they ever do is spend money and employ people.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dunno.... Aman is selling like crazy..... north of $30 Million so far.........and counting up

Sometimes , the tightening runs ahead of a more stable environment..... could be the case here.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Many on DR1 seem to think people stay long enough to become a resident. Snowbirds at this time cannot get legal....many, many condos and homes are held by snowbirds. Many things for people staying less than 6 months are going to be a problem.

Wish it were as simple as "Just get legal". I know I have made other plans, with other countries as they are much easier to deal with as far as immigration goes.

Which countries? And how long can you stay without doing anything (no visa, no residency). Many may be right behind you :classic:

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Sorry but you obviously know nothing about property ownership and the Residency requirements.

A would be opportunist???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Or course who really needs them. All they ever do is spend money and employ people.

it's kinda boring to see people bring that up. it does not even register a tiny notch on dominican economy. do you think the government cares that some illegals fork out few bucks on groceries and employ someone at a minimum salary, with no insurance and below income tax level?