Lanzamiento?

Maca_lert

Nov 20, 2007
Hi. My (Dominican) wife's son is about to start his final year at school and says that he needs $2,000 pesos to pay for some outfits "del lanzamiento". Could someone please explain to me what this is about? I have paid for lanzamientos in the past and have never really understood the process. Younger kids seem to help in "launching" students in their final year, so this year I guess he'll be the one getting the benefit, although he still has to pay. What are the benefits?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi. My (Dominican) wife's son is about to start his final year at school and says that he needs $2,000 pesos to pay for some outfits "del lanzamiento". Could someone please explain to me what this is about? I have paid for lanzamientos in the past and have never really understood the process. Younger kids seem to help in "launching" students in their final year, so this year I guess he'll be the one getting the benefit, although he still has to pay. What are the benefits?

since the kid apparently is not yours, tell her to get his lanzamiento fees from the guy who sired him. besides, 2000 dollars for some outfits sounds to me like you are being taken behind the woodshed.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yet the $2,000 PESOS does not seem unreasonable if the request is valid.

Exactly my thoughts. He needs to find out (go to the school) before he gives him the money. Better
yet he should personally go and pay it. :classic:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
since the kid apparently is not yours, tell her to get his lanzamiento fees from the guy who sired him. besides, 2000 dollars for some outfits sounds to me like you are being taken behind the woodshed.

PESOS less than $50usd. Not unreasonable.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Why can't your wife or the boy's father pay for that?
Why do you have to assume responsibilities that are not yours?

my thoughts, exactly. i am sure the OP does his part insofar as the kid is concerned, in matters such as putting food on the table and helping to put a roof over everybody?s head. i see no reason why he should be saddled with this kind of expenditure, while the real dad is probably running around having a good old time with his money.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
We can assume that he took or chose the responsibilities when he married his mother. He doesn't seem to be complaining about it.

Only asked a mere question or two about something he does not understand.

From his post it is easy to tell that he raised him for he has paid some outfits in the past.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The boys father hears there is a gringo in the picture he will start hanging around "to help". Dominican men are not responsible for anything.

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
When my son graduated from kindergarten at a private school 10 years ago the school wanted $Dom3000.-which was then a lot more than it is now. The money was for hat , robes and photos. (lanzamiento). This is one way to extort money from parents who are either ignorant, stupid, sentimental or all of the above. No matter what level the graduations is, ask for a certificate which should be free of charge.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Many, certainly not all by any stretch of the imagination. Sorrry for the generalization. Knew a Dom in the gym who used to brag he had 8 kids by 8 different women and never paid a peso to any of them This guy gave me an attitude.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have graduated from two univerities in western countries and have had to pay firstly for the certificate and then for the graduation so not so unusual .. but annoying after paying university fees for so many years .. However that was about half a century ago

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The boys father hears there is a gringo in the picture he will start hanging around "to help". Dominican men are not responsible for anything.

I'm responsible for anything positive that happens.. not for the negatives tho.. haha

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thankfully enough Dominican fathers are responsible to keep us in business. We have one guy paying for children with four different women.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
doesn't this "lanzamiento" mean launch of a school year or something? 2,000 pesos seems like a legit price for a new uniform. kids are ingrate buggers, their clothing never lasts.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
haha thats cray...

what type of business are you in?

Education an I believe we charge 300 pesos for Graduations. There are expenses involved and that's about the break even amount for little kids graduations. Uniforms - about 600 pesos for shoes, 400-600 for pants, 300-400 for polos, 300 - teeshirt, 300-400 sports pants, prices vary a little.

May 29, 2006
What is typical total cost for school uniforms, shoes and supplies for the start of a school year? Is there a standardized list?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

It's the "Lanzamiento de Promoci?n" or the Launch of the Senior class. Some schools have banned this because of all the expenses involved and how time consuming it is. It's not only the launching, but you spend the whole year in related activities.

Yes, the junior class has to raise money for the senior class. You have to throw a party for them, buy them a send off present, etc, but the outfits: t-shirts, caps, and any other activity, you have to pay for yourself. $2,000 pesos doesn't sound like much!

Maca_lert

Nov 20, 2007
It's the "Lanzamiento de Promoci?n" or the Launch of the Senior class.

Thanks, good reply. Anyway it seems to be something the children enjoy as my wife's son thought it was going to be a boring final year when the school's directora threatened not to give his class a lanzamiento, due to problems last year with one or two students. But that's another story...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What is typical total cost for school uniforms, shoes and supplies for the start of a school year? Is there a standardized list?

I don't know if there is a " typical cost " as the requirement vary between private schools and public schools, and even public schools seem to vary in that some provide basic uniform free from the government, but not all. Based on what we charge and the prices I've seen in La Sirena you can get all the uniform requirements for between 1500-2000 pesos, then the child needs a backpack, pencils, pens, ruler, erasure , exercise books ( how many and what type depend on the grade)
We charge around 1200-1500 pesos for supplies for children and that includes pencils, crayons, paper, paint, folios, readers, text books ( that we produce)....etc.
Public school children receive free textbooks and so do the children at our school (same ones) Some private schools charge high fees for textbooks in comparison.
If you are helping out a family I would say 2000 pesos for a young child would more than adequate, and for a teenager going to high-school you might need to up it another 500 to 2500 pesos. That is if they are getting completely new outfits.