Typical problems in DR

Downeaster

Mar 20, 2015
This is why most cruisers bypass DR and head for Puerto Rico and islands East. Below are copied from Noonsite.

We had nearly identical experience to Mr. Pederson. We had already paid all of the tourist immigration fees at another port of entrance and were advised by that immigration officer we would owe NOTHING at Luperon. Our despacio to Luperon speaks for itself. This nasty little G4s 'person' refused to acknowledge the government issued documents from the other port and threatened us he would stop us coming ashore and from leaving the harbor. Refused us access to the Commandante office. He basically called his own governments' issued documents false, and called us liars. Our immigration documents each had individual red serial numbers and a red seal stamped on a government letterhead form with signature, date, and amount paid. he claimed they were false papers and we would have to purchase his hoakey little printed papers that anyone could have printed on a PC. No signature no numbers.... he was wearing a tag and shirt that had no official government capacity such as DR navy, immigration, customs, etc.
Yes it is a cute town with nice people that tolerate an illegal operation at the government dock that PHYSICALLY THREATENS people. OF COURSE the Commandante gets a cut of the action on these fake pieces of paper called 'tourist cards'. That is obvious, or the Commandante would put a stop to it. The harbor waters and high water mark are owned by the DR Nation, not some mafia styled organization. This G4s person claims he does the same thing in Samana so beware. After what just happened in Samana with a kidnapping of cruisers and this recent posture of the Commandante in Luperon....it seems best to bypass DR.

John Pedersen

John Pedersen says:
Mar 05, 2015 12:43 PM

Luperon is a great harbour, well sheltered, excellent holding and a nice town. Unfortunately the port officials are very unpleasant. A young well dressed man with a flash car and a G4S badge who works from the port authority office insisted we paid $10 US each for 'tourist permits'. We checked with CESTUR in town (armed tourist security officials) and they told us we shouldn't pay anything, and refer the port guy to them. We put off the payment for a few days, but eventually, we were no longer allowed out of the port into town. We had to accept a lift to the ATM, and pay up. Meanwhile, some people who arrived at the same time as us were not allowed to leave (because of the weather, which was poor for just a few hours) for over 2 days, and all five of them had to re-arrange flights. When we asked for a despacho to leave, we were told we'd have to pay another 1500 pesos and provide photocopies of our passports (again) - all the following day, which is the day we inteneded to leave. Since the weather window for our trip was small and we were fed up with the officials, we did a runner at dawn (despite no engines and very little wind!). Be warned too that the bank is very unreliable. The only ATM is currently broken (somebody smashed it). When it worked, it only sometimes worked, and only coughed up smaller amounts than 2000 pesos. Changing money inside the bank never took less than an hour, sometimes two.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This is why most cruisers bypass DR and head for Puerto Rico and islands East. Below are copied from Noonsite.

We had nearly identical experience to Mr. Pederson. We had already paid all of the tourist immigration fees at another port of entrance and were advised by that immigration officer we would owe NOTHING at Luperon. Our despacio to Luperon speaks for itself. This nasty little G4s 'person' refused to acknowledge the government issued documents from the other port and threatened us he would stop us coming ashore and from leaving the harbor. Refused us access to the Commandante office. He basically called his own governments' issued documents false, and called us liars. Our immigration documents each had individual red serial numbers and a red seal stamped on a government letterhead form with signature, date, and amount paid. he claimed they were false papers and we would have to purchase his hoakey little printed papers that anyone could have printed on a PC. No signature no numbers.... he was wearing a tag and shirt that had no official government capacity such as DR navy, immigration, customs, etc.
Yes it is a cute town with nice people that tolerate an illegal operation at the government dock that PHYSICALLY THREATENS people. OF COURSE the Commandante gets a cut of the action on these fake pieces of paper called 'tourist cards'. That is obvious, or the Commandante would put a stop to it. The harbor waters and high water mark are owned by the DR Nation, not some mafia styled organization. This G4s person claims he does the same thing in Samana so beware. After what just happened in Samana with a kidnapping of cruisers and this recent posture of the Commandante in Luperon....it seems best to bypass DR.

John Pedersen

John Pedersen says:
Mar 05, 2015 12:43 PM

Luperon is a great harbour, well sheltered, excellent holding and a nice town. Unfortunately the port officials are very unpleasant. A young well dressed man with a flash car and a G4S badge who works from the port authority office insisted we paid $10 US each for 'tourist permits'. We checked with CESTUR in town (armed tourist security officials) and they told us we shouldn't pay anything, and refer the port guy to them. We put off the payment for a few days, but eventually, we were no longer allowed out of the port into town. We had to accept a lift to the ATM, and pay up. Meanwhile, some people who arrived at the same time as us were not allowed to leave (because of the weather, which was poor for just a few hours) for over 2 days, and all five of them had to re-arrange flights. When we asked for a despacho to leave, we were told we'd have to pay another 1500 pesos and provide photocopies of our passports (again) - all the following day, which is the day we inteneded to leave. Since the weather window for our trip was small and we were fed up with the officials, we did a runner at dawn (despite no engines and very little wind!). Be warned too that the bank is very unreliable. The only ATM is currently broken (somebody smashed it). When it worked, it only sometimes worked, and only coughed up smaller amounts than 2000 pesos. Changing money inside the bank never took less than an hour, sometimes two.

Yes that is sad but true. These people give a bad name to the DR. I would e-mail the US embassy in Santo Domingo and tell them the story. It can't hurt to put these people on notice. Unless you complain nothing will change.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
I had a problem in POP airport with immigration after I handed my passport to them one held a note demanding a tip . I complained and sent email to the American consulate and embassy and nothing happened the response was they looked into the incident and no knows anything about it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I had a problem in POP airport with immigration after I handed my passport to them one held a note demanding a tip . I complained and sent email to the American consulate and embassy and nothing happened the response was they looked into the incident and no knows anything about it.

They wrote you a note??? Wow. Last trip was in January, and the immigration officer told my husband it was a bad Christmas and said something like "Anything you can give me would be appreciated". He didn't get anything except a brief rebuke.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012

I'm not sure but I don't think the Americans control the immigration employees at POP airport... I know you think you Americans control the world but there's a limit... Come back down to earth mon ami...

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
What's the deal with paying for your tourist card is USD? Is it just so they can take advantage of the exchange rate and pocket the difference? I was thinking it was $400 DOP or $10 USD, and I could have sworn that I paid in pesos on previous trips. Last time I came down, the guy at the tourist card booth insisted that I pay in USD.

I used every logical argument before remembering it is pointless. I satisfied my need to start a brief scene before giving up. I would have continued and stuck to my "be as big of pain as possible and they may decide it's not worth" strategy, but I felt bad for the tourists waiting. Luckily, I had $10. I normally don't carry dollars.

It worked out on the way out. My strategy earned me a free checked bag.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What's the deal with paying for your tourist card is USD? Is it just so they can take advantage of the exchange rate and pocket the difference? I was thinking it was $400 DOP or $10 USD, and I could have sworn that I paid in pesos on previous trips. Last time I came down, the guy at the tourist card booth insisted that I pay in USD.

I used every logical argument before remembering it is pointless. I satisfied my need to start a brief scene before giving up. I would have continued and stuck to my "be as big of pain as possible and they may decide it's not worth" strategy, but I felt bad for the tourists waiting. Luckily, I had $10. I normally don't carry dollars.

It worked out on the way out. My strategy earned me a free checked bag.

well, you started off on the wrong foot, anyway.

you tried to use logic.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for as long as i can remember it was 10 dollars. they'd also take 10 euro or 10 pounds (no change). i never saw anyone pay in pesos.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
Good to know. I'm glad was civil during my complaining since I was wrong. I would have sworn I've paid in pesos in the past.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Good to know. I'm glad was civil during my complaining since I was wrong. I would have sworn I've paid in pesos in the past.

that would have been quite cumbersome, since a guy on his first trip to the DR would not be likely to have a stash of pesos on his person.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
that would have been quite cumbersome, since a guy on his first trip to the DR would not be likely to have a stash of pesos on his person.

Yeah, but I thought it was a either currency sort of thing. It's probably just my failing memory. I don't typically change money back to dollars if I only have a few thousand pesos at the end of trip because I know I'll be back in a few months, and Since I don't usually carry cash in the US, I typically have more currency in pesos than dollars when I arrive.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I think the embassy is closed for a few days. Something about visas being sold. Bit of corruption there too. Its the DR and corruption is everywhere. With a little practice I learned to laugh at it and ignore the people asking for money. I do give to disabled people in the street. There are no aid agencies here to help.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, but I thought it was a either currency sort of thing. It's probably just my failing memory. I don't typically change money back to dollars if I only have a few thousand pesos at the end of trip because I know I'll be back in a few months, and Since I don't usually carry cash in the US, I typically have more currency in pesos than dollars when I arrive.

Now you know to have some US dollars with you. No more problem.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I think the embassy is closed for a few days. Something about visas being sold. Bit of corruption there too. Its the DR and corruption is everywhere. With a little practice I learned to laugh at it and ignore the people asking for money. I do give to disabled people in the street. There are no aid agencies here to help.

Corruption is everywhere, on every level, man. In the US, it comes in the form of paying 250M a pop for a new fighter jet that doesn't fight very well, or perhaps the couple paying for king crab legs and ribeyes with an EBT card (which I saw two days ago). The DR is scarcely different, and I'm surprised people act as if the place is supposed to be run as if they're actually in Zurich.

Should DR be better? Sure. But, it's kind of silly to go to Disney World if you don't like kids and hate cartoon characters.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Luperon should be a gold mine for the DR. Project Atlantica could have brought super high end boaters with their money and a good tax base. The govt truly finds ways to screw up wet dreams.