Flying a dog out of Santo Domingo

Bielsa Widow

Mar 7, 2015
I'm traveling from Santo Domingo to the U.S. (LA, to be exact) on September 9th and I'm flying with my dog, who's big enough that she'll have to fly down below with the luggage. Most airlines refuse to fly live animals when either airport is above 85 degree Fahrenheit and I'm having trouble finding a flight that'll work. I flew her in on American and their first flight leaves Santo Domingo at 9:45, which should be okay, but lands in Miami at 12:30, which I'm assuming won't be okay. I'm thinking that maybe I could fly her through Panama City or Mexico City but then I might have to deal with customs in those countries.

If anyone has any advice, it'd be much appreciated.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i would say leave the dog home. unless your staying for a long period of time. plus the dog might be scared of the street smart dogs that roam the streets in sdq

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You may have a problem.

If you succeed in getting flights, the exit office for dogs is on the lower level(arrivals).
Easier to go there first, pay the 300-400 peso fee then go upstairs.

If your only choice is cargo , as opposed to checked kennel, you might reconsider.
Cargo is a nightmare - separate bldgs at each end..... very early drop-off....

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I got mine out via SDQ on a 6am flight to Miami a few years back and during summer. Your only hope. The airlines had a problem with dogs dying in the heat. The cheapie airlines that take off in the wee hours will not fly dogs in cargo. Also the airlines has a list of dogs that they will not fly under any circumstances. They refuse what they call short faced dogs. I nearly did not get mine out because of this restriction even though he is not short faced. Its a problem but better than having your dog die while the plane is stuck on the tarmac waiting to take off.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm traveling from Santo Domingo to the U.S. (LA, to be exact) on September 9th and I'm flying with my dog, who's big enough that she'll have to fly down below with the luggage. Most airlines refuse to fly live animals when either airport is above 85 degree Fahrenheit and I'm having trouble finding a flight that'll work. I flew her in on American and their first flight leaves Santo Domingo at 9:45, which should be okay, but lands in Miami at 12:30, which I'm assuming won't be okay. I'm thinking that maybe I could fly her through Panama City or Mexico City but then I might have to deal with customs in those countries.

First of all how long are you going to LA for? If it is less than two weeks than you should make arrangements with a kennel in SD and leave the dog there. Flying through another foreign country is not a good idea. You will have to go back through customs and pay additional fees for the transport of your dog. You will also be putting a lot of stress on the dog. Normally you should try to find the flight with the least lay over time. You need to go on line and find an airline that has a climate controlled cargo bay or a carrier that specializes in flying animals. Think about what is best for the dog and not necessarily you.