I was assaulted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I was assaulted by my landlord this morning. The police watched and did nothing. They assaulted me as well. They also stole my belongings and my dog. What do I do?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
interesting lets hear more....i wanted to assault my landjesus in santi but figured against it...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
From day one I don't think you haven't been completely honest on this forum. You started off as a humble tourist bringing a couple of dogs to the DR for 4 months. At that time, you were told that was not a really good idea. You chose to do it anyways.

You were told that after 30 days you would be in the country illegally and as a result (if you were not told directly you should have assumed) you would have no available legal recourse as an illegal if you got into difficulty here.

Then you got sick.

Then you you were looking for lingerie stores.

Then you were asking when people here knew that they were in love and decided to take the plunge into marriage or a more serious relationship.

Then there were water problems in your rented apartment. Now you have had a physical altercation with your landlord. Over and over you were told that the DR is not at all like home. Over and over, you come back with retorts reaffirming your reluctance to acknowledge our comments and sometimes our rather harsh advice.

Some round pegs just do not fit in a square hole.

Your typical tourist would just leave and go home. With your dogs you are probably stuck here due to the heat until November assuming El Nino cooperates. As an illegal, if you continue to get into difficulty you will continue to see that no one cares because they know there is nothing you can do about it. Your current landlord will continue to take advantage of you. The police will continue to ignore you. You don't qualify for comprehensive medical insurance coverage here regardless of what the sales agent tells you.

Due to the water issues and the assault, now you have to move. Maybe the next place will work out better, maybe not. A typical tourist after an assault, would cut their loses and go home.

Why are you really here?

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
CkI am in Boca Chica. I moved into an apartment 3 weeks ago. I hated it immediately. Landlord turns water off when she is not using it. My apartment floods whenever the water is on because of a leak under the sink. Cockroaches in the furniture. Moldy shower curtain. No laundry, cable, or WiFi, which was promised. She would not give me my money back. Said I had to stay the month. After being without water for 2 days because of the water shortage my anger peaked. I broke 3 dishes and the shower curtain. Left and only went back at night to feed the dogs and let them out. Spent the last 6 nights at a hotel while I looked for an apartment. Found one and went to get my things this morning. Didn't have keys, she wouldn't let me in. I was angry because there is still 7 days left on my lease . The reason I didn't have my keys is because my father in law had them to walk he dogs.. Yesterday morning he took one of my dogs to his house, left the other dog in the streets, and gave the landlord the keys. I broke into my apartment and firstl she locked the gate for my floor of apartments so I could not leave. Then another tenant came home and opened the gate. I had a friend from San Andres come out to interpret for me. She would not let me leave so m friend went and got the police. The last threw at me all the glass jars of food she had taken from my apartment. Before the police came her husband turned off all the lights so the police could not see.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
Police came and when I tried to leave with my stuff she attacked me. They just watched and whenever I got close to gettting out they would help her by pushing me. At one point there was about 20 police there. My Canadian embassy was on the phone and recorded the call and what was happening. At one point one of the police was waving his gun around. In he end I had to leave my stuff there or the police said they would put me in jail. I am going with my boyfriend and the witness at 9am to speak to the DA.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry to say that I don't think there isn't much you can do, that's sometimes life in DR. Might be time to leave Boca Chica.

11694108_919545278103218_7968368228919512425_n.jpg

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Police came and when I tried to leave with my stuff she attacked me. They just watched and whenever I got close to gettting out they would help her by pushing me. At one point there was about 20 police there. My Canadian embassy was on the phone and recorded the call and what was happening. At one point one of the police was waving his gun around. In he end I had to leave my stuff there or the police said they would put me in jail. I am going with my boyfriend and the witness at 9am to speak to the DA.

sigh....you got the Embassy involved. international incident. next comes the DA.

if you have Harper?s number on your rolodex, give him a shout. nobody should have to live in a house with a cockroach.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Wow Andrea.

Take a breath.

Sounds pretty scary.

This is why I'll likely always be a tourist. I wouldn't sleep at night being vulnerable as a illegal resident.

Dominican police are much more interactive with their "clients" than in the USA. People talk back to cops, mouthy. Argue with cops.

They take so much lip, then they start pounding!

Good luck. Lay low. You can't fight this. Don't try. It was your lesson learned.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I am here because I want to be. I have my reasons, just like every other expat. This bump in the road not make me leave.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
It's all a question of attitude. If you talk to your landlord like she's a piece of ***t, no wonder she does not like you. Plus you caused damages in the apartment... Then you broke in ??

Never heard of "discussion" ??? Clearly, you're not fit to live here... Go back ! Or maybe even there you have troubles with everyone ???

Been here 4 years and I never had an inch of a problem with anyone... Maybe I know how to act towards people...

? bon entendeur salut...

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I don't talk to her. She doesn't speak English and I don't speak Spanish. My boyfriend has been more than nice to her. Technically didn't break in. I paid to rent the place. Lease is not done yet.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have my reasons, just like every other expat.

It doesn't matter to anyone here what you do or do not do, but there is that defiant attitude again. You seem to keep coming back to the forum in the hopes of drumming up some sympathy despite your reluctance to accept the advice offered at face value. You will not be successful here if you continue to be abrasive, buck the system and not accept that you will always be seen and treated as a foreigner. You are not an expat - you are an illegal alien in a foreign country with first world expectations and a first world attitude of entitlement. You will either eventually "get it" or you won't".

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.