Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Im going to be a millionaire in DR!

It has come to my attention that DR is lacking something I can provide. I have notice that whenever I want ice for my drink it using involves someone bringing out a bowl of frozen water and beating away at it until you get pieces of ice that are small enough to fit in the glass. In my house this usually involves the person grabbing my good knives and chipping away at the ice. Out of 8 knives I have only one left with a point on it. I have also seen people use a hammer or furiously beating the bowl of ice on the countertop. So I have realized that no one knows what an ice cube tray is and Im going to import them and start selling. Disclaimer: This is a sarcastic post

2. Likes jd426, zoomzx11, equinn2823 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarcastic? That is a great idea. Doing the DR way I'll copy you and become a millionaire too, yeah. Already ordered 10000 units at alibaba.com!!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If not ice cube trays, then import ice picks for sure.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine went into the bagged ice business in the tropics. Made about $200/week net bagging ice into ten pound bags. The main prob in the DR is needing potable water. You always want two machines because they break down often, then a chest freezer for vending.

Buying a machine is way more complicated than I thought.. There are numerous shapes of ice "engineered" for different purposes. Restaurants use lens shaped ice so they need less soda to fill a glass and ice vendors often sell round tubes of ice to make the ten pound bags bigger. Square cubes are the easiest to produce.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

For now, wouldn't it be better ... and more profitable ... to just sell more knives?

8. Likes PeterInBrat, dulce liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Occam's Razor - why didn't I think of that? Good catch Major448.

10. Likes Major448 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Ice cube trays will never work. Requires that you pour water into all those little holes. No Dominican will ever do it.

12. Likes Rustxko, Criss Colon, ROLLOUT liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    A friend of mine went into the bagged ice business in the tropics. Made about $200/week net bagging ice into ten pound bags. The main prob in the DR is needing potable water. You always want two machines because they break down often, then a chest freezer for vending.

Buying a machine is way more complicated than I thought.. There are numerous shapes of ice "engineered" for different purposes. Restaurants use lens shaped ice so they need less soda to fill a glass and ice vendors often sell round tubes of ice to make the ten pound bags bigger. Square cubes are the easiest to produce.
    Ice changes potable water into portable water!

14. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

In defense of Dumbinicans, a large block of ice will survive a blackout, cubes not so much. There is no excuse for using good knives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast