Cast Iron Cooking

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I would like to get some cast iron for my outdoor kitchen. I found a couple frying pans at my Dad's and was able to get them back in my suitcase, but that stuff is heavy!

Any place on the North Coast where I could get a cast iron griddle, some larger pans, and a dutch oven?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
PM gorgon, he has some contacts when it comes to nice (used) kitchen ware.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would like to get some cast iron for my outdoor kitchen. I found a couple frying pans at my Dad's and was able to get them back in my suitcase, but that stuff is heavy!

Any place on the North Coast where I could get a cast iron griddle, some larger pans, and a dutch oven?

if you find out, please share the info. i have been trying to find that stuff here forever.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Best Kitchenware

A'right. Well, I guess Amazon and suit cases it is.
Unless I can find some thrift store stuff, The Lodge Manufacturing Company looks like the best stuff.

I do not think, you'll find them 2nd hand; nobody would ever want to part with them.
Cuesta in SD used to have some pieces, at least many years ago...

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
been discussed her before.. no can do

yard sales offer good ideas.
well seasoned, used ironware is better than new..

buy it whenever you see it... new ain't cheap

I scrounge that stuff like crazy.
my new, young wife gave all mine away years ago
she regrets it now.

I have my mother's stuff at the lake cabin on Lake Huron....... excellent

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
been discussed her before.. no can do

yard sales offer good ideas.
well seasoned, used ironware is better than new..

buy it whenever you see it... new ain't cheap

I scrounge that stuff like crazy.
my new, young wife gave all mine away years ago
she regrets it now.

I have my mother's stuff at the lake cabin on Lake Huron....... excellent

I know that some people are crazy for cast iron cookware, I had an entire set of it and gave it all to charity. [Mr. AE wasn't too happy with me, he bought it.] It never occurred to me to bring it to DR, too late now.

If I can't scrub it or put it through the dishwasher so I know it's squeaky clean I just can't use it. I know, I know.... it's SUPPOSED to be like that. Give me heavyweight stainless steel any day.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
A'right. Well, I guess Amazon and suit cases it is.

Unless I can find some thrift store stuff, The Lodge Manufacturing Company looks like the best stuff.

It's great stuff, and with a minimum of care, will improve the more you use it, and will last longer than you will. For most stove-top frying, one or two solid skillets in the hands of a decent cook is more useful and effective than a kitchen full of schmantzy "brand name" cookware.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Far better to get a barrel shipped from Miami or NY with stuff that heavy in it.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
If I can't scrub it.....(omit the dishwasher part)... so I know it's squeaky clean I just can't use it. I know, I know.... it's SUPPOSED to be like that. Give me heavyweight stainless steel any day.

I agree.
I like the idea of the cast iron more than the actuality.
They say never wash in soap and water, just wipe clean.
Yeah right...
No way Jos?.
I like to scrub, scrub till the odors are gone.

When I first moved out of my parents house and set up shop, I went looking to buy a cast iron pan. One just like my mom's.
I searched and I searched and finally I said to my mom.....Why are they so difficult to find?
She said ...What do you mean?
They are all over the place.
I said.....
The only ones I find are silvery and shiny, not black like ours.
She had a good old laugh.
I felt the fool.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
they rust like hell if you dont oil them and people dont realize they break if you hit it on something hard. i will find out if you can bring the pan with my carry on. walmart has them now around 10 bucks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yesterday we stopped at a flea market, and the very first thing I saw when I got out of the car were two "Tools of the Trade" cast iron fry pans, one large and one small. Against my better judgement, I bought them [$10 for both] and will ship them in a box to DR. They're already seasoned. See what you guys made me do??? :) :)

These things would make a good murder weapon, damn they are HEAVY.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Casa Cuesta in Santiago had a full display of Lodge Cast Iron cooking.. I had ordered mine years before and it's still good as new but thought it was cool seeing it here. The prices actually weren't that bad considering the weight.. a 10lb skillet that costs 30$ on Amazon was only like 2500 pesos.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Casa Cuesta in Santiago had a full display of Lodge Cast Iron cooking.. I had ordered mine years before and it's still good as new but thought it was cool seeing it here. The prices actually weren't that bad considering the weight.. a 10lb skillet that costs 30$ on Amazon was only like 2500 pesos.

Cool! Where is that located?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
In the new Nacional plaza on Juan pablo duarte about 1KM east of Plaza Internacional.

Supermercado Nacional Paseo Santiago
Av Juan Pablo Duarte
Santiago De Los Caballeros 51000
Dominican Republic

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yesterday we stopped at a flea market, and the very first thing I saw when I got out of the car were two "Tools of the Trade" cast iron fry pans, one large and one small. Against my better judgement, I bought them [$10 for both] and will ship them in a box to DR. They're already seasoned. See what you guys made me do??? :) :)

These things would make a good murder weapon, damn they are HEAVY.

of course you know that you bought those for me. i will keep you stocked up on roti. one good turn deserves another.