Protect your eggs, campo style

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
So, we have 2 diffrent communities in our small campo, arriba and abajo.
If u live abajo and it rains, you cant get in or out without great difficulty, as the dirt road is very steep...... just giving context.

Ok...... we have a man, lets name him Fulano, middle aged, father and husband.
Fulano has had a dirty habit, going back as far as collective memory remembers, of helping himself to stuff out of other peoples conuco.
Of course, he is not the only one.
Anyway, Fulano goes out at night and raids his neighbours chicken eggs, and stuffs his face in the morning with them, all by himself.....important detail for the next part.

Lets step back a moment. For you or me, a couple of missing eggs is annoying but not vital.
Also, if its lots of eggs, some chickens, platano, mangos, avocados....... you, or me , would take action and fence off the conuco properly, and maybe let the dogs out at night. Problem solved.
For the people of abajo, it is not an option.....and a couple of eggs are important to them...... they could be qualified as poor, even by dr standards.

So back to Fulano and his night time egg-stealing operation.
Fulano has being feeling under-the-weather for the last 2-3 months. Does it stop him raiding and stuffing his face ? Of course not.
And suddenly, last week, Fulano falls over and dies.....like in dead.
2 days later he is burried ( its very hot ).
His 2 brothers are ranting and raving about how he was murdered.....
Well he was !!!

Neighbours seemed to have had it with his bad habit, and for the last couple of months were injecting the eggs with " creoline " (?) and 3 day old human urine !!!

Hows that for justice ??

Call me bad, but I think it is a great lesson !!
The eggs in abajo are safe for a couple of months....or years :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how was he injecting eggs? creolina is very dark, almost black liquid. i could belive the guy was using it on his chickens. this is a dissinfectant, sometimes used topically to treat farm animals.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
how was he injecting eggs? creolina is very dark, almost black liquid. i could belive the guy was using it on his chickens. this is a dissinfectant, sometimes used topically to treat farm animals.

I am not to sure, as this is radio chime.....
Apparently the brothers inspected some left over eggs and found the needle marks that were covered up with a dolop of glue.
No autopsy, PN dont want to get involved, 2 suspects ( as in 2 diffrent neighbours who got their eggs stolen :) ).....

The " creoline " and urine thingy was said to me by an old guy who lives down that way, when I asked what kind of poison would kill a man after eating one egg. So he explained to me its a multiple week process.

There again this all just street talk, so who knows ?
Only facts are the guy was considered an egg robber, that he is now dead, and that his 2 brothers are screaming murder.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm calling bovine manure on creoline because there would be no way to hide that dark tint in an egg. human pee does not seem like a deadly substance. looks like a campo legend in the making. i betcha that locals never question anything and any gossip is like a game of chinese whispers.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
i'm calling bovine manure on creoline because there would be no way to hide that dark tint in an egg. human pee does not seem like a deadly substance. looks like a campo legend in the making. i betcha that locals never question anything and any gossip is like a game of chinese whispers.

Human urine is a sterile fluid. It sounds gross, but you can keep yourself hydrated with it if you had to for a couple of days. It certainly will not kill you, unless you drown in it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are a lot of things they could have injected into the eggs - tres pasitos comes to mind first. Lots of other stuff too - we buy barical [sp??] to spray some of the trees, tiny bottle of liquid, easy to inject, could be deadly. In small enough doses it could take awhile to build up.

There's a moral to malko's story, don't mess with campesinos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
murder seems to be a little steep punishment for stealing eggs...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
murder seems to be a little steep punishment for stealing eggs...

Maybe they thought that making him sick would stop him.

And let's face it D, the price of life in DR is unfortunately often very low. Remember the guy who got killed for scratching someone's car accidentally?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know. but i have a distinct feeling that the action of campesinos is received with much approval. both here and in the campo. think about it when you deal again with those "poor but happy" humble folks. what is your life worth to them?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
would you say the same if it was your son?

Yes I would, I have tried to ensure my sons have respect for themselves, others, and the possessions of others. They know I'll feel sorry that they didn't listen but know know that for the most parts they are masters of their own misfortune, or fortune.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This reminds me of many years ago in the waters miles offshore of NY. Men set lobster traps. Some ladrones who were too lazy to do the work themselves would go in the night and steal the lobsters. Well a few of the trappers got together and waited in the dark for the thieves. No more people stealing lobsters in NY after that.

The Ladrones ended up "sleeping with the fish".

May 29, 2006
In a country where food security is often in question, stealing eggs from someone's family and kids for years isn't such a minor crime. Homicide? Yes, but in Texas they'd simple shoot you with no consequences.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
It does seem a bit harsh....... to us first world folk.
If the income of the household is say 10k pesos ( and thats streching it, believe me )...... well buying 8 eggs a day ( 2 each ), 8?5=40 pesos....
40?30 = 1200 pesos a month....... 10% of income.

Anyone who steals 10% of my monthly income over a sustained period of time...... well has it comimg, real bad.

As for, the " if it was my ( inexistant ) son "..... i would have died of shame a looong time ago :)

There is a french saying " qui vole un oeuf, vole un boeuf "....... means stealing is stealing, be it an egg or a cow

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and the punishment for stealing should not be death. all those years and no one broke his legs or cut his hand off with a machete? that would suffice.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
and the punishment for stealing should not be death. all those years and no one broke his legs or cut his hand off with a machete? that would suffice.

Cutting his hand off could get messy, or breaking his legs could result in more problems. This was easy peasy.