will expats leave DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
With the coming deflation in the U.S and Canada, will expats decide to go home

since cost of living here will be higher than there?

What are people's thoughts?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Reasons To Stay

With the coming deflation in the U.S and Canada, will expats decide to go home

since cost of living here will be higher than there?

There will always be reasons to rather live here than there.
Cost of living is not everything.

donP

texan

Apr 1, 2014
With the coming deflation sounds like a big what if? If someone is worried about that they could adjust their investments. Have a larger part of their portfolio in gold or something else. Someone living strickly on a fixed income without any other investments could have an issue.

Seems like some countries like having their currency weak and others are just as bad or worse then the US with their debt.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Yes, I am leaving next year. It's been fun, but it just costs too much to live here.

I keep thinking "You want HOW MUCH for that 15 year old dinged up SUV?!?"

Oh, and electricity and water and the basics. Either ya don't have them, or they cost a fortune. Been here two years in September, and haven't had a full month yet where the car/house/pool what have you function the entire month I am home.

And, the immigration thing. Too much money/hassle to become legal, and I am getting sick of getting pulled over by the cops once a week for driving while white.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Heuh ?? What costs being higher than there ?? At least here I don't have to pay for heating 8 months out of 12... And I'm saving money on winter cloths, tires, boots, etc...

I can't afford to live in Qu?bec anymore, unless I work 40 hours/week.... Here ? I work 20 hours/month to cover rent, internet, electricity and food... Can I ask for more ???

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Heuh ?? What costs being higher than there ?? At least here I don't have to pay for heating 8 months out of 12... And I'm saving money on winter cloths, tires, boots, etc...

I can't afford to live in Qu?bec anymore, unless I work 40 hours/week.... Here ? I work 20 hours/month to cover rent, internet, electricity and food... Can I ask for more ???

the OP is just having a bad day. NOBODY can believe that it is cheaper to live in NA than it is to live here.

here is how i see it. every morning, i stop by my favorite caseta on the POP malecon, to have me a cup of tea and a glass of oj, with a danish or some such thing. i cannot think of anywhere in North America where an Average Joe like myself can sit beachfront, in a mellow setting, and not even think of what it costs. to do something like that in the USA you need to be Warren Buffet. ok. i am exaggerating. let?s say Trump.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, I am leaving next year. It's been fun, but it just costs too much to live here.

I keep thinking "You want HOW MUCH for that 15 year old dinged up SUV?!?"

Oh, and electricity and water and the basics. Either ya don't have them, or they cost a fortune. Been here two years in September, and haven't had a full month yet where the car/house/pool what have you function the entire month I am home.

And, the immigration thing. Too much money/hassle to become legal, and I am getting sick of getting pulled over by the cops once a week for driving while white.

well, you can go back to North America, if that is where you are from, and ask the mechanic if he is serious when he asks you for 100 dollars to hang your new catalytic converter. or, ask the highway patrol guy if the ticket he just gave you will reallycost you 500 dollars, plus attorney fees of a possible 2500 dollars.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Anything that isn't a tin shack, moto, rice and beans is expensive.

If you even think of turning the AC on, you're electric bill goes through the roof. I wanna UTV. Just looked, a 2012 Can Am Commander on Miami Craigslist, $9,500. Same exact model and year on Supercarros, $18,000!

This place is only cheap if you want to sit on your porch all day playing games and sipping rum, and eat rice and beans.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Anything that isn't a tin shack, moto, rice and beans is expensive.

If you even think of turning the AC on, you're electric bill goes through the roof. I wanna UTV. Just looked, a 2012 Can Am Commander on Miami Craigslist, $9,500. Same exact model and year on Supercarros, $18,000!

This place is only cheap if you want to sit on your porch all day playing games and sipping rum, and eat rice and beans.

nonsense. any half decent one bedroom apartment in Toronto is going to set you back at least a grand. 45000 pesos in the DR gets you more than a tin shack.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
well, you can go back to North America, if that is where you are from, and ask the mechanic if he is serious when he asks you for 100 dollars to hang your new catalytic converter. or, ask the highway patrol guy if the ticket he just gave you will reallycost you 500 dollars, plus attorney fees of a possible 2500 dollars.

Uh huh, and here they say they replaced the part with a new one (but really didn't) and charge you twice what the Dominican before you was charged. A week later, your car is broke down again.

And you get the privilege of being pulled over three times on your way home for driving while white.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
nonsense. any half decent one bedroom apartment in Toronto is going to set you back at least a grand. 45000 pesos in the DR gets you more than a tin shack.

True. But that apartment has water, 24 electricity that doesn't cost a fortune, and doesn't require constant maintenance.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I can live in a gated condo for exactly 1/2 of the cost, or less of my housing /month in NYC.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here is how i see it. every morning, i stop by my favorite caseta on the POP malecon, to have me a cup of tea and a glass of oj, with a danish or some such thing.

only there is no place to buy good danish in POP. just sayin'. :devious:

i understand what drSix wants to say. whenever i go to poland i do a massive shopping spree: clothing, cosmetics, SWEETS. i spend a faction of what i would here, i have more choices and the quality is way better. but then i also live in a fairly large house with no mortgage when my friends back home have small apartments and a credit to pay for 30 years.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i understand what drSix wants to say. whenever i go to poland i do a massive shopping spree: clothing, cosmetics, SWEETS. i spend a faction of what i would here, i have more choices and the quality is way better. but then i also live in a fairly large house with no mortgage when my friends back home have small apartments and a credit to pay for 30 years.

we make our own. more often than not, sticky cinnamon buns.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

yup. and when you blow your horn in a silent zone, the first offense ticket in NYC is 250.00 USD. parking in midtown Manhattan...25 dollars per hour. they can keep it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
a single guy with a shade under 2000 dollars per month can live pretty nicely in the DR. after you pay rent in NYC with that , you are scrambling for survival.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Even in Tennessee which is relatively cheap US wise I couldn't rent an apartment for one person for less than $850.00 USD. Here I have a 3 bedroom for 8000 pesos which when I started paying rent here was $194.00 now down to $178.00. I'm staying!

TN is not exactly TriBeCa Pescado, we get it, but many folks live in big cities, where you can not live in a clean walk up studio for less than $1,800. It's all relative.

I get a lot more for my total monthly NYC nut in RD, no pun intended, Jee Jee!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yup. and when you blow your horn in a silent zone, the first offense ticket in NYC is 250.00 USD. parking in midtown Manhattan...25 dollars per hour. they can keep it.

but then, my city in poland has a good, reliable, safe and cheap public transport system.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
True. But that apartment has water, 24 electricity that doesn't cost a fortune, and doesn't require constant maintenance.

And you get a level of security which would be difficult to achieve here, you don?t need iron bars everywhere, you get 100% crystal windows.. You drink your tap water. Everything in buildings is much better thought through and built.

Both locations have their advantages, you need to go to where it?s more convenient for your situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.