Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default We are seriously considering to move back to DR after 23 years!

Hi everyone! I found this forum couple of weeks ago and found it quite interesting. The questions are: What is it like living in DR? and which nice neighborhoods would you recommend in Sto-Dgo? My budget for just the rental is between ($800-$1200)/mo. Thank you all in advance for your help and feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

where in DR did you live 23 years ago?
    are you dominicans who left and come back, or are ya Ex-Expats to come back?

Mike

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default We are seriously considering to move back to DR after 23 years!

Hi Mike. I was born and raised in Sto-Dgo, near El Portal, but I know that Neighborhood has changed a lot. Its mostly commercial now.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

interesting situation.
    a lost boy coming home.
    sorry, i cant help you with the Capital, i am not da city hopper,
    but will follow up your story with interest.

good luck

welcome back home

Mike

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol. Thanks Mike.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanky Panky, We are 4 in our family. THANK YOU for the feedback. I have been researching apartments in those areas, but wanted to make sure they were the correct places. I truly appreciate it. I will continue building my budget with those places in mind. The next step would be to decide the school for the kids and find something nearby to it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Life here is not easy nor is it cheap. Especially with children. I suggest you bring an income unless of course you have a trade or profession that will pay well, a business, etc. As for what is it like......in the capital it is traffic, noise, pollution, and lots of visible poverty. Power outages, heat, and in the summer months more heat. Health care is very good, people are polite, household services are inexpensive. You will either love it or hate it so I suggest that you carefully consider options and if possible try a temporary stay first of about 2 to 3 months without cutting all ties at home.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Dimelo!
    If you have a source of income from USA to supplement whatever you end up doing here, that would be ideal i.e. 2000 grand a month. Buy a used vehicle (Toyota) here and don't be paranoid but feel people out first.
    I'm kinda crazy like that but I would love to live in la Zona Colonial since it would quench my bohemian side, hmmmmmm.....for an upper middle class area Los Cacicazgos, higher up Piantini or La Esperilla.
    If you want to be more economical....Villa Mella or Herrera hahaha.....Or Miramar is nice too.
    Depends on what your looking for and what you've got $$$$$$......
    LC

9. Likes WRM liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. Hopefully you do not have to work here. If you do, think not once, twice or three, but four times about it.

11. Likes WRM liked this post
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a thread under the 'Santo Domingo' section which was posted by 'caribmike' with similar requirements to yours which should be read under the heading:

Opinion about some areas please...

13. Likes WRM liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast