We are seriously considering to move back to DR after 23 years!

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Hi everyone! I found this forum couple of weeks ago and found it quite interesting. The questions are: What is it like living in DR? and which nice neighborhoods would you recommend in Sto-Dgo? My budget for just the rental is between ($800-$1200)/mo. Thank you all in advance for your help and feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Hi Mike. I was born and raised in Sto-Dgo, near El Portal, but I know that Neighborhood has changed a lot. Its mostly commercial now.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
interesting situation.
a lost boy coming home.
sorry, i cant help you with the Capital, i am not da city hopper,
but will follow up your story with interest.

good luck

welcome back home

Mike

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Sanky Panky, We are 4 in our family. THANK YOU for the feedback. I have been researching apartments in those areas, but wanted to make sure they were the correct places. I truly appreciate it. I will continue building my budget with those places in mind. The next step would be to decide the school for the kids and find something nearby to it.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Life here is not easy nor is it cheap. Especially with children. I suggest you bring an income unless of course you have a trade or profession that will pay well, a business, etc. As for what is it like......in the capital it is traffic, noise, pollution, and lots of visible poverty. Power outages, heat, and in the summer months more heat. Health care is very good, people are polite, household services are inexpensive. You will either love it or hate it so I suggest that you carefully consider options and if possible try a temporary stay first of about 2 to 3 months without cutting all ties at home.

Mar 1, 2009
Dimelo!
If you have a source of income from USA to supplement whatever you end up doing here, that would be ideal i.e. 2000 grand a month. Buy a used vehicle (Toyota) here and don't be paranoid but feel people out first.
I'm kinda crazy like that but I would love to live in la Zona Colonial since it would quench my bohemian side, hmmmmmm.....for an upper middle class area Los Cacicazgos, higher up Piantini or La Esperilla.
If you want to be more economical....Villa Mella or Herrera hahaha.....Or Miramar is nice too.
Depends on what your looking for and what you've got $$$$$$......
LC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Welcome. Hopefully you do not have to work here. If you do, think not once, twice or three, but four times about it.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There is a thread under the 'Santo Domingo' section which was posted by 'caribmike' with similar requirements to yours which should be read under the heading:

Opinion about some areas please...

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Guys, thank you for all the great feedback and suggestions.

WRM

Aug 9, 2015

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Where do you live now???????????????
Since you won't be giving up you current job by moving here, why not give it a try???
You can always move back.
Depending on the ages of your kids, the younger the better if you want to stay, they will WANT to go back HOME.
Kids are the important part of your equation.
Poor education/health care/ and opportunities for a good financial future here, as opposed to North America.
Better opportunities to do grade school, and high school here, then university in the USA or Canada.
A truly bi lingual US univ. graduate will qualify for many good jobs in the future.
"Hispanics" are by far the fastest growing group in the USA.
My parents moved from Illinois to Venezuela in 1958.
We kids were 16,14, and I was 12.
Spent 2 years there.
Came back so my sister could go to univ.
I cried when we left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOOK HOW I TURNED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Back then, I could walk the streets of the most,"Barrios Calientes", at 3 am, and I DID'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS I RARELY VENTURE OUT AT NIGHT,, AND MAKE SURE OF THE AREAS I PASS THROUGH!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Back then, I could walk the streets of the most,"Barrios Calientes", at 3 am, and I DID'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS I RARELY VENTURE OUT AT NIGHT,, AND MAKE SURE OF THE AREAS I PASS THROUGH!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

absolutely right.
i got frequently a buzz in barrios all night long, where todays i would not drive thru in the middle of the day, lol.
today's,
when the sun goes down, Mikey is and stays at home.

Hey,
it's not that it would be too dangerous,
and darn sure it is NOT da Age.
it's only 'cause todays they play only that fukcing reagatton shyt stuff,
no more good ole bachatas plarring in the ears while the head get's filled up and the eggs taken care of.

Mike

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Criss Colon,
You've hit the nail on the head in regards to the education. That's exactly what we are envisioning. I think the Grade School and High School there are better and much cheaper. For example, a similar bilingual school here (I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL) cost anywhere from 1k-2k/mo. In DR they range from $300-$800. Therefore, in DR we could afford give our kids a very good education. And when the University comes, then they can go to good universities in US or Canada like you mentioned, but I may just stay en "La Matica" de Boca Chica while they go to college [emoji23] [emoji23]...

JD Jones & Mark Fisher,
You are also right about how nice used to be; I used to walk through El Mirador del Sur from North to South at 10pm on my way home from visiting my jevita that used to live in El Millon back then.

I visit DR about 1-2 times per year, but always on vacation mode; not on working mode.

Now, despite delinquency & corruption on the rise, I still think one can have a very fun, pleasant and much slower pace of life in DR. Am I wrong?

I guess I simply got tired of the rush rush here.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes, of course.
the same slow pace, the same fun and pleasant.
at least, IF i would be 30 again, i know i would have the same fund as i had back in da day.
delinquency and corruption on the rise,
2 things i do not agree with just like that.
corruption was always in full force and openly practiced, at least since i arrived good 20 years ago,
so no rise on that one, just the good ole same.
once used to it, it is a good thingy, a way of latin life, go with the flow and use it for own advantages.
delinquency,
yes, specially in the mayor cities, it is even more than it anyways was.
even here on the eastshores, that campo on the oceanfront named punta cana,
it is on the rise, as the population did not just grow a lot, it really exploded the last years,
and with higher population density of course comes the usual rise on delinquency.

but nothing of it too bad,
you still find your spot for the slow Island pace, to have fun in a pleasant way.

Mike