german woman drowns while kiteboarding in cabarete

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cutting the Lines

Such a shame. I'm guessing she was hooked up and dragged through the water and got her head under water.

Yes, very probable.
She was an experienced kiteboarder.
Getting tangled in the lines and dragged along by the kite... I was not fully aware of that risk. :(

I am buying line shears for my kids as we speak...

donP

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Don didn't say how old his kids are, probably doesn't matter, trying to use a hooked hunting knife while bouncing around in the surf is probably not all that practical or safe.

Something like this tied to your vest is probably all that is needed and most of it doesn't rust in salt water.

http://www.amazon.com/Our-Designs-I...d=1439337148&sr=8-18&keywords=seatbelt+cutter

This is not a product endorsement, I'm just using this particular item for illustrative purposes.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Didn't hear anything about it "locally" or even from the Cabarete facebook group.

Incredibly sad news, even in a safe spot like Cabarete, kitemares still happen. I wonder how often accidents happen from bozo to kite beach. Quite a hazard to walk down the beach.

They often crash their kite on the reef, and with their long lines, it makes a mess. I also wish the windsurfing area was more respected. I think many just don't know and aren't told by the centers.

Luckily I've never been hit but had to duck or bolt out of the way many times.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
carrying a line knife is one thing (i always do) but trying to use it when being pulled with great force under the water is another matter altogether. She may have had one and just no been able to get to it in time.
Being snagged in your lines is one of the biggest dangers of kiting

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I don't know a thing about kite surfing. But, as an ex army paratrooper we had releases on our harness, kite harness don't have any quick release?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
agree with vinyasa. Cutting thin lines while being drug forcefully through the water would take practice and or a good deal of presence of mind. Kind of a surprise this sort of accident does not happen more often. A float device might not save you depending on the tangle but they don't "look cool" so not many people wear them. Kind of like a bicycle helmet.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I don't know a thing about kite surfing. But, as an ex army paratrooper we had releases on our harness, kite harness don't have any quick release?

Same thing, kite harnesses have a quick release. But in a rare case you can still get entangled. Having a knife is definitely a good idea, just like for scuba diving.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cheap Shears

...you can still get entangled. Having a knife is definitely a good idea, just like for scuba diving.

Cutting several slack thin lines with a knife or a belt cutter (under water) is not easy (unless you have a mermaid pulling the lines taut for you). :bunny:

Trauma shears with their serrated blades will cut them.
Those shears are cheap (less than 2$ when ordered in lots).

donP

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Cutting several slack thin lines with a knife or a belt cutter (under water) is not easy (unless you have a mermaid pulling the lines taut for you). :bunny:

Trauma shears with their serrated blades will cut them.
Those shears are cheap (less than 2$ when ordered in lots).

donP

One thing the lines won't be Don is slack! The kite will be pulling you hard and the lines will be taut....still not easy to cut however i believe

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010

if the kite is pulling, the lines are definitely very taut. Once it hits the water and loses wind power the lines will slacken but at that point there is no need to cut the lines since the kite will just stay on the surface.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Life Saving Cuts

if the kite is pulling, the lines are definitely very taut. Once it hits the water and loses wind power the lines will slacken but at that point there is no need to cut the lines since the kite will just stay on the surface.

This sounds as there can't be life threatening situations where kiters can be entangled in lines and need to cut them in order to come free.
However, there are many reports where exactly this happened {most likely after two or more kiters crossed their paths}.

donP

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
This sounds as there can't be life threatening situations where kiters can be entangled in lines and need to cut them in order to come free.
However, there are many reports where exactly this happened {most likely after two or more kiters crossed their paths}.

donP

A lot of things can happen, depending on skill level, kite and wind and sea conditions. However, the kite is either powered and you are pulled hard but generally above water (there may be short dives on wind direction changes) or unpowered (flat on the water) and then you are just floating around and trying to sort out the lines and hopefully re-launch the kite without getting ashore. But the kite is not gong to pull you under water and drown you. Of course you can still hit the head with the board, crash your skull on the reefs, have a heart attack or hypothermia, or just plain get tired and drown.