Double Charge at Sunix

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I got gas at the Sunix in PC last Saturday and they made two charges (different amounts) to my credit card. I normally walk over and watch them but I didn't this time and they got me.

Yes. I know cash is king and I'm stupid for thinking I can get away with using a credit card in the DR.

But guess what? I NEVER use cash. I like to use credit cards to accrue miles/reward points. This is the first incident in the DR in at least 18 months. Things have changed significantly over the last couple of years and I feel very confident using my credit card / debit card for transactions. It was only US$20 and a 2 minute call to the card issuer got the charge reversed.

In the last 18 months I've had 3 cards compromised in the US so in my experience the DR is actually safer when it comes to credit/debit cards. And I spend the majority of my time in the DR.

I guess the moral of the story is to be diligent.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I use my debit/credit card for almost everything EXCEPT at gas stations (and been using them for 15 years). Too many horror stories, I don't want to be one of them.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Gas stations are the absolute worst place to use a card. Even when paying cash you need to watch the meter from the start and also watch your change carefully. Why do you think each attendant is waving to you to come to him?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I don't pay foreign transaction fees (and my bank doesn't charge ATM fees either). I keep a zero balance on my credit card (thus no interest payments) and accrue hundreds of dollars per year in cash back. It's well worth this minor inconvenience.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I got gas at the Sunix in PC last Saturday and they made two charges (different amounts) to my credit card. I normally walk over and watch them but I didn't this time and they got me.

Yes. I know cash is king and I'm stupid for thinking I can get away with using a credit card in the DR.

But guess what? I NEVER use cash. I like to use credit cards to accrue miles/reward points. This is the first incident in the DR in at least 18 months. Things have changed significantly over the last couple of years and I feel very confident using my credit card / debit card for transactions. It was only US$20 and a 2 minute call to the card issuer got the charge reversed.

In the last 18 months I've had 3 cards compromised in the US so in my experience the DR is actually safer when it comes to credit/debit cards. And I spend the majority of my time in the DR.

I never use my CC, always everything cash.
They will try to rip you off everywhere but gasoline-stations are the worst!

My "alert-status" goes up to 100% when I putting in gasoline, there are so many ways of cheating and distracting you.

ildiko

Sep 2, 2010
Same thing happened to me, same place. I got out of my car, watched him, they run the card couple of times, saying it did not go through. Also, the pharmacy at Palma Real Shopping Village stole my credit card number last year. In 1 day thousands of dollars have been charged to my card in every city in the DR.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Sunix is my favorite place for buying fuel. I think you answered yourself… get out of the car and watch your credit card and be diligent, as you say. Check what you are getting back and do not let your credit card out of sight.

Most people in the DR that have credit cards prefer their usage over cash. I buy my fuel with a credit card, so does my husband. My husband doesn't get out of his car, he just watches the credit card being passed.

The credit card will notify you of the charge online to your cell phone. Then you would know immediately it is being passed fraudulently. You could have received that notification right at the gas station.

You also have time to put in a claim for fraudulent use. I did once at a Texaco station in La Romana and got my money back. That was only once. Since then, I make sure to follow my credit card.

Credit card use has expanded here because it is safer than carrying cash.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
Sunix is my favorite place for buying fuel. I think you answered yourself… get out of the car and watch your credit card and be diligent, as you say. Check what you are getting back and do not let your credit card out of sight.

Most people in the DR that have credit cards prefer their usage over cash. I buy my fuel with a credit card, so does my husband. My husband doesn't get out of his car, he just watches the credit card being passed.

The credit card will notify you of the charge online to your cell phone. Then you would know immediately it is being passed fraudulently. You could have received that notification right at the gas station.

You also have time to put in a claim for fraudulent use. I did once at a Texaco station in La Romana and got my money back. That was only once. Since then, I make sure to follow my credit card.

Credit card use has expanded here because it is safer than carrying cash.

our bank sends us an instantaneous sms, we pay everything with that card (popular), never use cash, only once had a problem but got the sms and confronted the cashier...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I always try to use a card that does not have that much left in it.

The other day I needed some off shore meds. I ordered using a cc that only had enough to cover the charge.

Well, I decided to check my pending charges as I always do to make sure and, sure enough, a charge for over 200 USD was declined. I still received my meds and I had the cc replaced.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Gas stations are the absolute worst place to use a card. Even when paying cash you need to watch the meter from the start and also watch your change carefully. Why do you think each attendant is waving to you to come to him?

always try to go to same station and i tip usually a small tip people remember its nice that they do...and they wont cheat you as they know you...he knows i get 500p all the time...500 he signals me yup thumbs up...done..