Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Claro phone unlocked?

I got couple of phones for cheap and I was wondering this.

Does anybody know if the phones that are purchased though Claro or Orange is unlocked?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tashi Siu's Dad View Post
    That's a very good question...I know that phones from other providers such as Verizon and AT&T work on Claro even without unlocking. I don't know if there is a way to look at the settings on the phones and see if they're unlocked...There are a million places in the D.R. that can UNLOCK them for you for a couple hundred pesos...have had it done before, myself.
    My last two phones I purchased from the us were tmobile and Verizon . Both were smartphones and both needed to be unlocked. I tried to use a tmobile chip on a claro phone once. It did not work. If you don't live here full time please don't make comments on subjects you have no knowledge of.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

you can unlock any phone that has a sim card. i bought a cheap target phone that had a new smaller sim card that needed a week to unlock and it was done

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

derfish, what are the brands and models of those phones?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

To use a cell phone here, one should verify the frequencies that the phone is compatible with, the frequencies used by the carrier of your choice in the DR and unlock the phone at home or when you get here if you didn't purchase it already unlocked. Pretty much all phones provided by carriers to customers on these phone & service plans are locked to a particular carrier.

I don't know anything about a Walmart phone but wouldn't be surprised if it is locked to the Chinese Intelligence Service. :-)

6. Likes TP666 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used my Nexus 5 with both Claro and T Mobile for 2 years with no problems of any kind. Just change the Sim and good to go.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I live here at least 6 months every year and use my phones here SUCCESSFULLY every time. T-Mobile is known for incompatibility with other world systems.
    Compatibility has nothing to to do with the carrier the phone i.g. Tmobile, Verizon, Claro is branded with.

It depends on the type, and frequencies (bands) a particular phone's make and model has. Additionally, if the phone if branded, it must be "carrier unlocked", a service that major US carriers do for free (provide unlock code) if you are a customer and meet certain easy conditions.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    I have used my Nexus 5 with both Claro and T Mobile for 2 years with no problems of any kind. Just change the Sim and good to go.
    Nexus 5 is a Google phone (manufactured by LG for Google). All Google phones are "carrier free" (unlocked) and it so happens that the US market's North America (D820) model has the frequencies that most Dominican carriers use. There are some Nexus 5 models that would not work fully there (Rest of World (D821) model).

Steps to determine if any phone will work in a particular country or countries:

1) Does my phone model have the prerequisite bands (frequencies) needed for the particular overseas carrier.

2) Is my phone "carrier unlocked" or can I get it unlocked?

3) Does my phone use a SIM?

If you can answer yes to the above your phone will work.
    Last edited by tmnyc; 08-11-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    The flip phone with the sim card which I bought especially in hopes of using it here is an LG. The number under the battery reads <GPLG441GB> Does that answer the model question?
    The smart phone that I never even figured out where to find its calculator is a Samsung 4 I believe, it is not here at the house at the moment.
    My s4 note was a Verizon phone. It cost 500 pesos to unlock at.the claro dealer.

11. Likes TP666 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I live here at least 6 months every year and use my phones here SUCCESSFULLY every time. T-Mobile is known for incompatibility with other world systems.
    Not with a claro chip if your phone has Verizon ,AT&T, or tmobile. I fogot six months a year here makes you an expert. Lol

13. Likes TP666 liked this post
    Dislikes Tamborista disliked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast