When will the Deportations Begin?

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I believe the 45 day time limit for people to submit relevant Residency paper work is now up, has anyone been deported yet?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Deportations have gone on for years and I expect they will continue to affect the same people they generally have in the past - Haitians and Interpol extradition targets. Yes, the latest rules are newish and enforcement is officially supposed to be across the board. If you are a fugitive from justice, or if you or your parents were born in Haiti and you are not a citizen of another country, then I think you could be subject to enforcement. The worst case for anyone else is an overstay fine when you leave the country and another excuse for national police and/or AMET to ask for money when they pull you over. I know a few business owners who employ foreigners. They are facilitating "legalization" for their employees so they don't have to give them days off to wait in line.

Let's make a pledge that anyone on DR1 who doesn't fall into the categories I mentioned but gets deported will immediately issue a red alert on DR1. Maybe we can make an offer to the government for a bulk purchase of cedulas.

I believe the 45 day time limit for people to submit relevant Residency paper work is now up, has anyone been deported yet?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Back in June, when the time for inscriptions ended, the government did said that as long as the voluntary repatriations kept occuring at a sizable amount (they didn't explained what they meant by sizable), the forced deportations would be postponed. Once the voluntary repatriations reduce themselves, then the forced deportations would initiate.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Back in June, when the time for inscriptions ended, the government did said that as long as the voluntary repatriations kept occuring at a sizable amount (they didn't explained what they meant by sizable), the forced deportations would be postponed. Once the voluntary repatriations reduce themselves, then the forced deportations would initiate.

So theoretically it could be decades.....

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
the government has a long way to go before distributing all the visas. The laws have not been made on how the government will deal with drivers licences, labor laws (no tss..insurance and social security), conversion or applications for residency and a million other laws, regulations and procedures. No one knows whats going on in Santo Domingo at the immigration office other than passing out stickers/visas in passports. They have one Haitian minister flake telling everyone (Hatians) how great being a non-resident is and how much better it is than being a permanent resident or ? and he has lots of his facts on the law wrong and making up stuff. He is in the immigration office along with lawyers that are not supposed to be there and etc. What a place...anything can happen regarding mass deportations or none at all. Don't ask specific questions there all you get is BS if you press them for answers...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We've had a number of Haitians enquiring about registering their children for school and have some enrolled. Latest is a boy born in Haiti and was living with his grandmother and attended one year od school in Haiti and his mother , who has been in the DR for four years , legally on work visas finally decided to bring him.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I know exactly when its not going to happen. The government woke up after all the threats and big talk. The world press is on standby just waiting for the photo ops of people loaded in the back of dump trucks, infants, pregnant women, and kids. The DR will look like Nazi Germany to the world. Its a mess and they have no idea of what to do. My prediction is that nothing will happen until they come up with some sort of a plan that treats the Haitian in a humane fashion and still gets them to return to Haiti.
Where is Pichardo, he must have the solution up his sleeve.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I know exactly when its not going to happen. The government woke up after all the threats and big talk. The world press is on standby just waiting for the photo ops of people loaded in the back of dump trucks, infants, pregnant women, and kids. The DR will look like Nazi Germany to the world. Its a mess and they have no idea of what to do. My prediction is that nothing will happen until they come up with some sort of a plan that treats the Haitian in a humane fashion and still gets them to return to Haiti.

Pichardo said the first group to go would be a group of blond, blue eyed illegals. Until we see that batch leave, I suppose the Haitians are safe?

I wonder how long it will be before the Haitians that have self deported start returning if the government does nothing?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Ah, Pichardo. That makes Dominican sense. Toss out the ones spending money first. I just cannot believe that any Haitians self deported. Maybe made a home visit just in case the whole thing was true but self deport, naw. So far I have not seen anyone leave. No one seems nervous about this. Its business as usual.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I stand by what I said last August, said all year, and say NOW,....NEVER"!!!!!
DR gov. got caught in what they THOUGHT was just another "Dog& Pony Show" for internal use only, to qwell the uproar about Haitians being the cause of ALL the peoples problems.
THEN the World got wind of it, took them at their word,and all hell broke lose!!!!
They are now running for cover!
They will now do NOTHING and hope the whole issue just goes away.
"Pichardo" not withstanding!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I see a lot of logic in the scenario you described. On the other hand, Haitians play a central role in the money laundering economy. Many transitioned from agricultural work (bateyes) to construction. The thriving industry of never to be finished projects, and projects that are finished with fairy tale cash accounting depends heavily on Haitian labor. That labor won't be available if it is deported. "Naturalized" or "legalized" Haitian/Dominicans would have little incentive to accept jobs no other legal residents would accept...unless the wholesale discrimination and disenfranchisement some say is a fabrication of "bleeding hearts" is real enough to limit them to the work that only illegals accept now.

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"I wonder how long it will be before the Haitians that have self deported start returning if the government does nothing?"

I've noticed more Haitians roaming the streets of Santiago this past week. Looks to me like they have already started to return. No deportations, word spreads fast.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the DR finds itself between a rock and a very hard place. unless mass deportations take place, nobody is going to self deport. if mass deportations take place, the international busybodies are going to have it all over the front pages of newspapers, with all manner of melodramatic headlines and lead stories. i would not want to be in their shoes.