Whale Season Begins Jan 15

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Excursions to see the humpback whales will begin in Samana Bay the week of January 14. Excursions can be booked with one of the boat companies in Samana for approximately US$39, or through one of the tour companies that offices in all tourist areas. The largest, best known of these tour companies are Turinter, Coco Tours, Ultramar, Iberdom and Hola Tours. They charge more because they include transportation and at least one meal.

Getting to Samana on your own is not difficult. Renting a car is one option. Taking a modern, air-conditioned bus is another. Both Metro and Caribe Tours have regular bus service between Santo Domingo and Samana, and Caribe Tour has one bus a day from Puerto Plata/Sosua. The buses are very comfortable and the cost is far less than renting a car.

A variety of hotels of different sizes and degrees of luxury are available in the Samana area: in the city, at Las Galeras Beach, inbetween the two at Hotel Gran Bahia, and at Las Terrenas. There is no central booking office, but a call to Victoria Marine/Whale Samana (809-538-2494) will give you hotel names and phone numbers.

Keeping in mind that though the inner bay looks calm from the city pier, the outer bay--where the whales are--is often rough in the winter, the best boats for the excursion are provided by Victoria Marine/Whale Samana (809) 538-2494; Transporte Maritimo Minadiel (809) 538-2556; and Moto Marina (809) 538-2302. Also, the captains of the boats owned by these companies are best as far observing the regulations for observing the whales in the Samana Bay Marine Sanctuary.

bobetal

Jan 12, 2002
Can you (or anyone else) provide an indication of costs for tours from Puerto Plata please. We will be arriving on the 31st of Jan for 1 week.

Many thanks

Bob

bobetal

Jan 12, 2002
"They charge more because they include transportation and at least one meal. "

I think the question should have been phrased more along these lines....

Any ideas on how much more for a tour organised from Pop that includes the transport?

Thanks

Bob

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To Tony C

Are you serious? If so, it is for the same reason they get mad if you shoot tourists during the tourist season.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY!!! Can't wait to get out there!

This is one of the truly awe inspiring sights of the universe!!

I am very happy that Ken has suggested the best captains, especially since I damn near shot one dumb, son of a bitch that took a jet ski very very close to a mother cow and her off spring the last time i was there.

And since I have a good reason to get out there...oh man I can't wait.

Anybody that can--should go and see these creatures. Take Dramamine for sure and you camaras.

I wish I could understand the gut feeling we experience when we see these magnificent creatures!! It is truly majestic!

HB, inspired with this great news...

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Tony

Tony; They call it Christmas season too......but that don't mean you can shoot Santa Claus!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Hey Hillbilly! Take a valium! It is just a whale! It is fun jumping whales with a jetski.
I wish I could shoot Santa Claus. But, unlike you, I realize that Santa Claus is a fictious person. A myth. Something people use to manipulate children

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is too a Santa Clause....For shame!!

And I had better not catch you trying that with MY whales in Saman?...

Besides, Santa doesn't manipulate children, he manipulates parents who buy toys for children....hehehe

HB, admittedly carried away......

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Regulations for Whale Watching

Samana Bay, by decree of the Dominican government, is a Marine Sanctuary. Regulations have been created to protect the whales. These regulation specifiy such things as maximum speed through the whale area, distance from whales for observations (unless a curious whale approaches your boat), time limits for observing a whale or group (to give other boats the chance).

Hopefully most passengers on the excursions are concerned enough about the welfare of the whales to tell the captain, should you feel he is violating the regulations, that you are not pleased. Problem is that sometimes captains violate the rules because they think their passengers will be more pleased with the excursion if they get very close to the whales.

The biggest violators of the regulations are the small (23-29') open boats called "yolas". There are a lot of them: they make up 44% of the whale-watching fleet. These boats are not booked by the tour companies; generally they get their passengers with the help of young men on the street who tell you they can save you some money on the excursion.

Because of their size, they do not carry a big percentage of those who take the excursions; only 11%. But these yolas commit 76% of the violations of the regulations.

This year the emphasis on regulation observance will be on rate of travel through the whale areas. Going from the dock, once you pass Cayo Levantado the regulations establish a maximum speed of 5 knots (about 6 mph). Same speed is required if you come across whales in the inner bay.

This regulation is regularly violated by the yolas, and is also a concern with Moto Marina, one of the companies on my recommended list. The Moto Marina fleet consists of fast launches with either a diesel inboard engine or twin outboard motors. These boats are capable of high speeds, and many passengers expect frustration if they don't travel at the expected rate.

Regarding distance from whales, the minimum distance from adult
males is 165 ft/50 meters. From any group that includes a calf, the minimum distance increases to 270 ft/80 meters.

One of the advantages of the large vessels of Victoria Marine/Whale Samana and Transporto Maritimo Minadie is the fact the deck is comparatively high above the water. This means that visibility is better when the distance regulations are being observed.l

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
SamanaBay, by decree of the Dominican Government, is a Marine Sanctuary....Blah, Blah, Blah!
Jesus H. Christ! These are whales we are talking about here. Not Plutonium! People need to get a grip. Don't you guys have a tree to hug or a spotted owl to save?
BTW whale meet is quite tasty and High in Protein! And yes I have tasted whale meet in Norway!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Lay off, Tony C.

Give us a break, Tony C. There are people who have serious interest in the subject of whalewatching in Samana Bay. Let them get their information and their questions out without the pointless sarcasm and rhetorical questions. If you want to blow off, please go to the "Open" section. You have a right to your opinions, but not to trample over a string that is trying to provide a service.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Ken,
I started in this thread by making a little light-hearted joke. It seems that some people took offense and so I was forced to defend myself and my opinons
I have no problems with Whale Watching. I do have a problem with people who think that an animal, such as a whale, is something that should be worshipped and protected from natural selection. The Humpback whale is just a whale. Not a god. Not some type of benevolent creature(Despite what they say on Animal Planet).
Why is it that self-appointed protectors of the enviroment always want to keep people away from the wildlife? If we can't see it or interact with it why bother saving it?
Now if you do not like my opinion.....Tooooo bad!

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Whales

What is it that brings these Humpbacks or a.k.a. Rorquals to these waters? Is it the warmth, I realize thier gestation period is 365 days. Is this why they come only once per year? If a person was to go there (Samana) during this time, is it a sure thing that you'll observe them? Or are they so plentiful that a sighting is for sure? Please excuse my ignorance, we are deciding whether or not to put this area on our agenda for our next trip. How close to the whales can one get? (we don't wanna get close enough to jump with jet-skis, but some good pictures would be nice!) Just the other day, we watched a program on the whales and they (scientists)were id'ing them. The program was being shot right from Samana Bay and was quite interesting but did not mention why the whales come there. Also one more question.....from when to when do the whales congregate there?
Thanks for your time to answer these questions.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tony re: Santa

Tried to send this earlier but post doesn't show up.

Tony,

I believe you are wrong about Santa being a myth. I thought so too until Xmas night when I heard a noise on my roof and someone yelled out " Feliz Pascuas, Farmboy!' That's when I remembered Chriss had disappeared. 2+2=4...

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Tony and Whales

Tony C said:
Ken,
I started in this thread by making a little light-hearted joke. It seems that some people took offense and so I was forced to defend myself and my opinons
I have no problems with Whale Watching. I do have a problem with people who think that an animal, such as a whale, is something that should be worshipped and protected from natural selection. The Humpback whale is just a whale. Not a god. Not some type of benevolent creature(Despite what they say on Animal Planet).
Why is it that self-appointed protectors of the enviroment always want to keep people away from the wildlife? If we can't see it or interact with it why bother saving it?
Now if you do not like my opinion.....Tooooo bad!

I don't believe MAN was ever figured into darwin's theory. Take man out of the equation and the whales would have no problem

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Whales (Doug's questions)

Scientists don't really know why the whales have been coming to the Dominican Republic for centuries. They once thought that the warm water was the attraction, a better environment for giving birth, but whales have also been born in the northern feeding areas during the winter. So it seems that this simple explanation is not, at least by itself, enough.

Chances of seeing whales are excellent because of the number that congregate in the bay and because of the dilligence of the captain in finding them. I would recommend booking your excursion with Victoria Marine/Whale Samana (809) 538-2494. The owner, Kim Beddall, is the founder of whale watching in Samana Bay. Also, she or another naturalist are always on board. But the main reason for the recommendation is that her boat is most likely to find whales (and will stay out until finding them if they are to be found).

The approximate distance that is supposed to be maintained between boat and whale is 50 meters if just adults; 80 meters if there are calfs. Therefore, one of the boat with an elevated deck (Victoria Marine/Whale Samana or Transporte Maritimo Minadiel) is a better platform for observing whales than a yola or launch at sea level. Sometimes, however, a curious whale comes up to a boat to investigate. In that case, the boat just stays in place.

Getting pictures is difficult because of the speed at which things happen. When whale suddenly breaches, for example, he is back in the water before your brain tells your finger to click the shutter.

Excursions are offered from January 15 to end of March. If I were picking a month, my choice would be February, especially the last 2 or 3 weeks. However, as indicated at the start, your chances are very good any day during the season.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am not the best to answer this but from all I have learned

The whales always send a few "scouts"in december and then arond mid january they come in pods of several whales. They congregate in the bay of Saman? until early to mid march.

Is is a sure thing? I would say that yes, it is pretty sure that you willsee and be able to photograph whales.

And Tony, stop being so borish. If you want to get "up close and personal" with whales, go swiming with them... but not in a freaking boat!

Natural selection my arse! Go watch grizzlies without a rifle.

HB

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Natural selection

Tony's theory of Natural selection is seriously flawed, Darwin never included Man in his theory, the most evil predator to roam the Earth or Seas