poor quality of goods being sold in d.r.???

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
http://dr1.com/mailing/lt.php?c=335...venden-rd-productos-danan-salud-forma-severa/ hope i got it right..
well anyway..article in todays dr1 column about things being sold here that are inferior...wow is that news to me...as i dont think ive ever bought anything good in d.r. plastic chairs that break.....batteries a aa aaa etc
the best stuff i ever got was second hand stuff from the states on the street. :squareeye:squareeye:squareeye:squareeye:squareeye:squareeye:squareeye:squareeye:squareeye:squareeye everything is second or third rate stuff because ...well its cheap and doms cant pay alot...

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
I love when the whole country uses Trace batteries for their inverters. Trace doesn't make batteries! Don't believe me? Call them and ask. Simply stole the logo and put them on batteries that are made only God knows where.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I love when the whole country uses Trace batteries for their inverters. Trace doesn't make batteries! Don't believe me? Call them and ask. Simply stole the logo and put them on batteries that are made only God knows where.

34hi6qe.jpg

Call Interpol, ask them to run a "Trace" on them......

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Even the large "respected" retailers in the DR sell crap / knockoffs rejected by first world countries that have enforced standards.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I had problems with Duracell batteries recently. I know there was a topic about it here a few months ago too, but the colmado sent me Duracell.

Anyway, they lasted about 3 days.

Put some Rayovac batteries in instead and it's been more than a few weeks without problems.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Even the large "respected" retailers in the DR sell crap / knockoffs rejected by first world countries that have enforced standards.

Yep. Some DR1ers who are friends of mine [Brits] don't understand why we send down boxes and plastic drums filled with "stuff" every year. It's not only cheaper, but the quality is light years above what you can buy in DR. Including some foods that we've talked about here several times [bread flour, jasmine rice, US brand albacore tuna, Mr. AE's favorite chunky peanut butter, etc., etc.].

We started an addition to our house last Spring, including another bathroom and expansion of a bedroom. All the bathroom hardware [Delta faucets, etc.] are already in boxes. I also found insulated sheer lace curtains for the new bedroom, try finding those in DR.

One year we shipped down new curtains and rods for the whole house, and I miscounted because I forgot the kitchen needed two [cafe curtains], so I bought one in La Sirena. These were those cheap white metal ones, the one I bought in DR was paper thin and I could bend the brackets with my fingers - at about 3X the cost of the one from NJ.

Like Luperon says, I believe there are a lot of fakes and rejects in DR too.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I bought two pool lounger chairs from Papaterra (spelling?) near Sosua, they lasted about 4 weeks before the fabric broke..Well, the 2nd one lasted about 8 weeks....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
it seems as though the importer class in the DR makes it a point of duty to search out the absolutely lowest, worst class of products to import, thereby assuring larger profits. it is very rare that you will find a decent quality of imported stuff, unless you are an affluent person, and you can find that article in the high end stores. if you want something like a dutch oven, you can go to a place like Casa Cuesta and shell out a small fortune for a good brand. if not, you can go and get some of that atrocious aluminum junk you find in La Sirena and such places. there is no middle ground, for people of normal means.

i will not get into the locally made stuff, such as the foodstuff from people like Baldom. dogs should not be required to eat that fare. i wonder if the guys who make things like the local breakfast sausage taste that stuff before they decide to market it. as to things like jams, jellies, and marmalade...ugh!

don?t get me started on the cheese and the bread,,,the evaporated milk. yikes!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They don't make them any more.

Products are no longer what they used to be. Worldwide.

Among the things I bought this year:
4 Yamaha stereo receivers (natural sound series), 3 @ CR-620, CR-1000 (late 70's);
2 Vintage circular saws, like new, all aluminium & steel, about 40 years old;

Good stuff, even repairable (if ever needed). :bunny:

3 Swatch watches, new old stock, (early 90's)

I am tired of this China crap. :tired:

donP

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Products are no longer what they used to be. Worldwide.

Among the things I bought this year:
4 Yamaha stereo receivers (natural sound series), 3 @ CR-620, CR-1000 (late 70's);
2 Vintage circular saws, like new, all aluminium & steel, about 40 years old;

Good stuff, even repairable (if ever needed). :bunny:

3 Swatch watches, new old stock, (early 90's)

I am tired of this China crap. :tired:

donP

tell us if you got those Yamahas in the DR. if you ever run across anything with tubes, please alert me...

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
I ask someone in the US why do you send cooking oil to the Dominican Republic? They told me the cooking oil sold in DR can only be used once then it turns black.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
CR-450 Only

tell us if you got those Yamahas in the DR. if you ever run across anything with tubes, please alert me...

Here in the DR I only have a Yamaha CR-450, an early transistor model.
(For tube stuff you'd have to talk to windeguy.)

The 4 Yamaha's mentioned above, I bought in Germany (110/220V models) and had them stored there.
I hope to meet them some day... :bunny:

donP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Here in the DR I only have a Yamaha CR-450, an early transistor model.
(For tube stuff you'd have to talk to windeguy.)

The 4 Yamaha's mentioned above, I bought in Germany (110/220V models) and had them stored there.
I hope to meet them some day... :bunny:

donP

windy is not a tube kind of guy, i don?t think.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I ask someone in the US why do you send cooking oil to the Dominican Republic? They told me the cooking oil sold in DR can only be used once then it turns black.

When you ship a box or drum to DR, you can also ship a big bag of rice [50 pounds] and a big jug of oil [we ship 2.5 gallon jugs that they sell in Sams Club] outside the box for free. It's a no brainer because no additional cost.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Bought a refrigerator here and the door hinges rusted and door fell off. Remanufactued beds and stoves are a biggie. Stoves wear out fast. Dominican style cooking does not help of course when everything is cooked on ultra high. Doing things over and over does not seem to bother Doms. For example I wondered why all the pvc work we had done always came apart sooner or later. I thought we had a decent plumbing guy. Found out he was only using pvc cement without the cleaner. Its not a permanent plastic weld without the cleaner being used. Now our repairs are fine and only done one time.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
it seems as though the importer class in the DR makes it a point of duty to search out the absolutely lowest, worst class of products to import, thereby assuring larger profits. it is very rare that you will find a decent quality of imported stuff, unless you are an affluent person, and you can find that article in the high end stores.

Exactly.

I had an interesting short chat a few years ago. We bought a new fridge from Corripio. One controller (I forget how it?s called) of the thermostat broke down during the warranty, so Corripio sent out a mechanic.

As I was following the work the mechanic carried out, I started talking with him, and asked where do Corripio import these. He said that the ones sold in the US, supposedly are from the US, the ones sold here, are from Mexico. Corripio imports from Mexico as the brand costs much less there, and quality is at the same time much worse, and he even went and showed me some differences. If Corripio would import the same brand from the US, they would gain much less.

That mechanic was a good guy, charged us nothing (obviously because of the warranty, but anyway), worked fast and fixed the fridge permanently.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

You would actually have to call Xantrex. TRACE was purchased by Xantrex years ago. It is true that TRACE never made batteries. I found that out years ago when I did call TRACE to verify if they had anything to do with TRACE batteries and they did not.

The DR seems to import the lowest quality of Asian goods in abundance.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
People is it strange that they sell low quality goods in the DR?
C'mon half of the population lives below the poverty line so why should an importer import high quality expensive stuff when there's only a very small market for it?