bike lock in Sosua/CAB/POP?

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
Hey Guys,

anyone have a clue where I can get a bike lock in Sosua/CAB/POP?

something like this: http://media.rei.com/media/232389.jpg

I was at Ferretero Linares in CAB and Pappaterra in Sosua, nothing.

Was about to go to the Ferretero in POP (entering POP, left hand side before the round about), but remember them not being any larger than the one in CAB

thanks guys
Chris

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a bike shop in POP on the malecon, next door to masonic lodge. they may have it.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bicycle Lock

Buy such a good lock online and have it shipped to you.
Most locks they sell here are useless.

In the meanwhile buy 2 feet of good, welded chain, put a plastic hose over it and use a US padlock with it.
Always include the bicycle frame when locking it.

donP

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I would not bother buying a lock. Riding a bicycle in the DR is usually not a long term plan.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Some Thieves Carry a Master Key

2a7it1j.jpg

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I would not bother buying a lock. Riding a bicycle in the DR is usually not a long term plan.

I've managed for the last 5 years or so but you need to be super extra careful for sure.Assuming all drivers are going to do something homicidal anyway helps.

And good brakes....

Try Bicishop on the Malecon in PP. They do have some sometimes in Playero but mine broke on first use so junk.The pasola/moto ones are too big to carry around but OK for locking up at home.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Unless your plan is to be a Darwin Awards contestant.

I have already contributed to the gene pool.....

So naneneenah!

I have done 2500 Km in the last 8 months alone on the bike. (No computer before) and if you are careful it's no worse that in much of Europe.
For mountain bikes there are plenty of off-track routes but riding at night,in rain or a rush hour is a no-no for me.Entering the traffic flow needs a lot of skill and patience and many drivers don't give enough space.People tend to open their car doors without looking so it's good to watch for that.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
there is a bike shop in POP on the malecon, next door to masonic lodge. they may have it.

thank you, I forgot about that one, went there and they had one.

Just need the lock so the bike can't be just carried away. I am typically just having it locked up for short term in front of shops.

El Choco has some nice trails, so if by Darwin Award you guys mean doing some sports and not sitting around eating pollo fritto and tostones, I agree.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
Assuming all drivers are going to do something homicidal anyway helps.

that's my basic assumption basically everywhere when I am on the street.

My typical means of transportation are either motorcycle or bicycle, so I am always riding with the premise that everyone is a complete utter ***** on the street and has no clue what he is doing. Its amazing how often you need to shake your head when you are alert.

The pasola/moto ones are too big to carry around

Any clue where to get those? I'd need one for my moto also.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
thank you, I forgot about that one, went there and they had one.

Just need the lock so the bike can't be just carried away. I am typically just having it locked up for short term in front of shops.

El Choco has some nice trails, so if by Darwin Award you guys mean doing some sports and not sitting around eating pollo fritto and tostones, I agree.

Good you have it locked up.

It is not the El Choco trails, but rather the DR roads that make one eligible for a Darwin award.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
that's my basic assumption basically everywhere when I am on the street.

My typical means of transportation are either motorcycle or bicycle, so I am always riding with the premise that everyone is a complete utter ***** on the street and has no clue what he is doing. Its amazing how often you need to shake your head when you are alert.

Any clue where to get those? I'd need one for my moto also.

Pappaterra have good ones at the accessories dept.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Good you have it locked up.

It is not the El Choco trails, but rather the DR roads that make one eligible for a Darwin award.

But you don't have have already bred to qualify so that puts most of us out of it.

I could become an organ donor though.

After the 40 tonner has been over you they can simply post the organs in standard A4 UPS Jiffy bag......