Shipping commerial goods via Fedex from China to Santo Domingo

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I searched the forums, and couldn't find anything matching my situation.

I recently orders some commercial items from China, and am having them shipped by Fedex to Santo Domingo.

What I would like to know is what to expect when they arrive? Will they arrive at the airport, and I will have to go there physically and pay the duty?

Or will they arrive at an outlet where I'd pay the duty?

The value is well over $200, so I am expecting to pay duty, but I have read on some of the forums that people had bad experiences with Fedex, and that things got held up for a long time.

Does anyone have experience in getting commercial goods sent to Santo Domingo by Fedex.

I have about 24 hours to cancel the order and pay extra to have these shipped by DHL, but I figured FedEx would be a reliable company.

I understand the mail/courrier forwarding services are reliable, but don't suit my needs as I would have to pay duty twice

Any input or advice on what I can expect would be appreciated. (specifically how things work in SDQ)

Apoligies if this has been covered already - everything I found was more directed at personal items under the $200 threshold.

inet

Aug 31, 2013
I imported electrical meters from China with FedEx and the customs amount was outrages (+ FedEx charges for handling customs). So I went to the facilities close to SDQ and disputed the charges with success. I paid a fraction of the original amount.
I don't think it's particularly with FedEx since most carriers use the same agents.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
expect to pay around a 40% of the total, freight included.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'm calculating up to 50% duty and taxes. Do they charge a brokerage fee on top of this?

Otherwise, is it fairly smooth in terms of getting things out, or is it a long wait?

Thanks in advance.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Follow up with fedex from the moment your stuff is about to arrive. They'll probably require you to prepay customs before getting it out and if you don't move fast they'll charge you extra. Don't expect them to call you.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I sent an envelope FEDEX earlier this month - Canada to Sosua.

Took a few days -- like Friday to Wednesday... fast service but was $80CAD !
just about killed me but it was important.... their express service rate

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Is it possible to direct a shipment into the port at Puerto Plata or do all imports have to go through SD?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ships dock at Pto Plata... yes , you can do that.

BUT, it has a terrible reputation for 'bribery'..... very bad

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'd be tempted to send Juan, the part-time concho driver and part-time customs broker into the fray to plead poverty and see what happens. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you can designate the customs broker to do all the work.... you sit at home.

door to door.

why not use my mudanza? Buy and ship in the US to NYC.... it will arrive on your doorstep
not so easy for Cdn shipments - can be done, but more cumbersome

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Update: Order arrived, lasted 3 or 4 days in customs, got the call to pay up on the duty, and was delivered 2 days later. Not that bad.
t
One thing I learned (shipping to Canada anyways), is on your tracking you might see something along the lines of "customs delay" in the destination. However, the item might still be in transit, the destination got a heads up on the incoming package, so this is misleading.

I would use them again - no issues this time.