Calling Ed and Mame!! Calling Ed and Mame!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Where ARE you?? Is it possible the pissed off some cops in Saman? and got dumped into the Bay? Did Nicole's crep?s
kill them with pleasure?
Did they do a land grab and get caught?
Where are they? Any sightings?

HB and a group of other posters here on DR1

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Ed and Mame....SOS

Been wondering that myself about them two. Have'nt heard from them since they left the DR, during that Haiti coup. I e-mailed them shortly thereafter and got a reply, but nothing since.

MAME AND ED

Jan 13, 2002
WE'RE HERE...WE'RE HERE !!

...AND SINGING "GOD BLESS AMERICA" EVERY DAY! No, no complaints about dear ole DR, nor the wonderful people - I guess it's just us: too old and 'in a rut' to adjust to life elsewhere.
On December 17 (my birthday!) we just headed home ... seems like we feel young, but can't face the fact that we're not spring chickens any more and ... well, after one week at the Lusitania apartments in Las Galeras (fine, fine place, folks!) we rented a really nice looking, fine 2-bedroom, 2 bath house just a little way off Main Street and agreed with the owner to stay four months. (Fortunately, there was no paper contract, and she was very understanding... so we had no problem leaving so shortly.) Well, I was delighted with the kitchen - it had everything - but it also had ants , armies and armies of them!- impossible to avoid, impossible to exterminate! The owner had used the back yard as a "trash dump" and a man would come around almost everyday and "burn" it - even right after it had rained. Sure, right... duh! So we choked on trashy, smoldering, smoke. Okay. How about no hot water (in this "lovely" house for 350 pesos a month?); and a "trickle" of water for the showers.
Oh, yeah : the screens were in pretty bad shape; witness my legs and arms for that - I'm still scarred! Okay, so it rained and rained and rained; the only paved street is Main Street; we got tired of washing our shoes! which would, then, not dry because of the wet weather. I did some laundry - it hung outdoors for the entire stay! I wanted to make a temporary "home" for us in that lovely house and, of course, wanted to cook some meals. Huh! where does one find the usual foods that are cooked in U.S.?
I found it impossible to prepare a meal - oh, I'm not saying they don't have food, but it's not what us ole geezers usually eat (but if we did, am sure we'd be much healthier!!) Food in restaurants was excellent and, even with the easy prices for meals, we had to watch every penny in order to "make it." Then, of course, the walks to restaurants -- even though short - were mud up to our knees, in the rain. The waters were so rough we couldn't even wade (and we had brought along scooba diving things!); along with that the winds (not "breeze") was colder than a witch's tit!
Also, Ed's anxiety and frustration - especially because he couldn't communicate with people, caused him to go to a doctor ... he had spent a whole lot of time in the bathroom ...!!!!!
Wah, Wah! Simply, we just got chicken to stay ... okay, go ahead and laugh, but this is why I've been saying for so long that "it's great for the young..." 65+ can't hack it. (You young people will understand this when you get up there!) I know you're saying, "Well, why didn't you just go somewhere else ...?" Well, good idea, but the weather was still there, the grocery stores were still no "stocked" ... and, of course, with Ed getting a huge belly ache in his small stomach ... what would you do??
The highlight of the trip, however, was flying into Santiago and having Hillbilly greet us and take care of our needs, showing us some of the wonderful sights, putting us up at a mountain-top resort and taking us to the bus station the next day (for the ride to Las Galeras)... the man is a SAINT!! He is obviously a very prominent man in his city - we saw many signs of his beloved popularity everywhere ... people yelled his name in delight as we passed by here and there and everywhere. A very, very fine man and "person."
We'd still like to go back, though - the place "haunts" you once you've been there. Something about it ... But, next time we'll have to stay at an all inclusive resort - now I know why people do that - even with the disadvatages of THAT, too!
Missed you all, friends, and anxious to get back in here to visit more often. (No, PLEASE don't make fun of us - we're just old and finally have come to realize it - regardless of the young spirit and mind!! LOL!!) Later... Mame
So, folks, we faced the truth about ourselves and decided we just better get ourselves home.

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
I frind it very unfortunate you were unable to adjust to another country, but very refreshing in your honesty and wit. i think your message will provide a much more valuble service than the many sugar coated posts I have read here and on other forums touting the glory of the country they seek to lure you to thier shores

i hope you find happiness and the right "mix" where ever you decide to spend your years

MAME AND ED

Jan 13, 2002
HI JANICE !

Thanks for your "gentle understanding." I haven't been in here since about the first of December, when we left on our trip and, in the meantime, it looks like things have changed a little bit from the old forum. First of all, I was expecting most to reply by "making fun of us..." !! and being nasty and critical - but maybe this change in the forum will attract more "real" people - such as yourself. You must be new - I don't recall your name from the previous, old messageboard. Where are you? (I'm in Florida panhandle.) Will look for more of your posts and, hopefully, catch up with everyone of my old friends, too.
Have a super-duper week! -Mame-

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Ed and Mame

Hi Ed and Mame: Sorry to hear you and the DR did'nt jell, don't worry about it. I know lots of people that could/would not live there. There are not alot brave enough to take the step to move there permanently. I envy your courage! At least the countrie did not leave such a sour tatse in your mouth that you will never visit again. Most of the people that I meet in the DR that are tourist, say they could never live there, but love the countrie. Hope you go back to visit and like the short stays. But at least the both of you can say that you tried it! You'll never have to say....We should try that someday.....Hope your glad you did and hope your glad to be home as well!!! Way to go Ed and Mame for giving it a try!!! Take Care and God Bless!
Doug & Lisa

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Good for you

You know what, good on you for trying it out. If you hadn't come, you would always say "we should have moved". Now you know that where you live is the best for you, and you have another great story to tell the grandkids (assumption there...).

Life is all about experiences, and sounds like you are living yours large.

marc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
About time

Now you can learn all the tricks on this new BB.. Go see PIB's remarkable post abouthow to use some of its features.

As for Saman?, let me say that you should have called me!!..

they had rain for 22 straight days!! It ended about the 23rd fo December and when we accompanied Ren and Ellen to their place on the 30th it was beautiful....

When you next come back, we can get together and talk a lot more. Just happy that al is well.....

All the best,

HB

MAME AND ED

Jan 13, 2002
DOUG, LISA, MARC

Yup, yup ... gimme 5 !!!!! All true, well said !! "Try or you'll never know what!" Assumption of story for grandkids - yup to that, too!! Now when I post to a messageboard, I'll be speaking from experience - not guessing!! Catch you guys later ... -Mame-

MAME AND ED

Jan 13, 2002
Yes, Luis ....

We'll come and see your beautiful surroundings in Santiago next time! We were going to stop back - on our way home - but Ed was pretty yucky, so we headed on out from Puerto Plata. You STILL haven't sent me your mailing address so I can mail something to you (something I KNOW you'll like to have!).
Luv ya, man. -Mame-