So where does it all go???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Tourism doing well

According to Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier Garcia, the tourist industry has grown constantly during President Danilo Medina's three years in office and now brings in more than US$16 billion a year to the economy that is more than the actual budget for the country.

He said that tourism has experienced extraordinary growth with more than 16 million tourists arriving over the last three years making the country the leader of tourism in the Caribbean.

He said that the growth had been systematic with just over five million visitors in 2013, over 5.6 million in 2014 and nearly four million so far this year. He went on to say tourism was also very important in generating employment, accounting for approximately 300,000 direct jobs and over half a million indirect jobs.

During this administration, more than 9,000 new hotel rooms had been built and more hotels are being built. With this robust growth in the tourism sector, Garcia was confident that the target set by President Median of ten million tourists a year by the end of 2022 was achievable.

http://almomento.net/turismo-ha-generado-rd700-mil-millones-ultimos-tres-anos/127700

The average Jose el Plomero sees nothing of this :ermm:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

How so? I see them building scaffolds, laying block, pouring conc., operating equipment, carrying in furniture, maintaining the grounds, planting sod, on and on. And permanent jobs after the construction is complete. That's all the average Joe wants, to work and provide for his family.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Tourism doing well

According to Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier Garcia, the tourist industry has grown constantly during President Danilo Medina's three years in office and now brings in more than US$16 billion a year to the economy that is more than the actual budget for the country.

He said that tourism has experienced extraordinary growth with more than 16 million tourists arriving over the last three years making the country the leader of tourism in the Caribbean.

He said that the growth had been systematic with just over five million visitors in 2013, over 5.6 million in 2014 and nearly four million so far this year. He went on to say tourism was also very important in generating employment, accounting for approximately 300,000 direct jobs and over half a million indirect jobs.

During this administration, more than 9,000 new hotel rooms had been built and more hotels are being built. With this robust growth in the tourism sector, Garcia was confident that the target set by President Median of ten million tourists a year by the end of 2022 was achievable.

http://almomento.net/turismo-ha-generado-rd700-mil-millones-ultimos-tres-anos/127700

i posted before that the figure you see there is for Dominican consumption. anyone who can do simple calculations knows it is sheer nonsense. here?s why...

the DR gets 5 million tourists per year. in order to receive 16 billion in tourism revenue, each tourist would have to spend 3,000 dollars, plus a shade over. secondly, every penny the tourist spent would have to go straight to the DR government, without any leakage. for those who do not waste their precious time studying such matters, leakage is the portion of revenues that do not accrue to the destination. when a tourist buys an all inclusive package in Toronto, it includes airfare, accomodations, ground transportation, and everything that goes into the package. another critical part of the leakage is the profits that accrue to the owners of the hotels, their executive foreign staff, and other such personnel. add to leakage the amounts of money spent on foreign goods such as food, wines and other imported liquors, and other essentials which are not produced locally.

numerous cross country studies have shown that leakage in the caribbean is, on average, in the region of 70%. it varies from country to country, depending on the composition of ownership. in the DR, it is something like 69%, from articles i have read.

so, since the DR tourism demographic consists of the most bargain of bargain basement seekers, i fail to see how this figure can make sense. guys are buying all inclusive tours for 500 dollars for a one week trip, so this number is fiction.

over to you,PICHARDO.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How so? I see them building scaffolds, laying block, pouring conc., operating equipment, carrying in furniture, maintaining the grounds, planting sod, on and on. And permanent jobs after the construction is complete. That's all the average Joe wants, to work and provide for his family.

this is the same backward, wrong headed thinking that suggests that all the minorities in the USA want is enough to buy a few fast food meals and some cheap wine. sorry, ctrob. they want the same things that well off people do. they are no different. they want the Bimmer and the Benz, too.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
this is the same backward, wrong headed thinking that suggests that all the minorities in the USA want is enough to buy a few fast food meals and some cheap wine. sorry, ctrob. they want the same things that well off people do. they are no different. they want the Bimmer and the Benz, too.

Is your post dripping with Sarcasm / ie the Average Joe the Plumber also thinks he "deserves a Brand new BENZ" or ??

cuz I am at a loss to understand how you extrapolated this from what CtRob just posted before , which I clearly uderstood as " the average Joe wants a JOB & Job Security".. which the Tourism $$ should provide if people are coming by the plane load and ship load.. It takes lots of trades people to keep Hotels etc, running smoothly..

The Irony is that most plumbers in the US, DO in fact live in Mc Mansions, ( I know mine does) the guy hits me for $250 just to walk in the Door and usually its a $400 min ..
My DENTIST dont even make that kind of money most visits.

But thats not the DR..
Maybt thats the Humor you saw in it?
Or are you saying that Dominican Plumbers also DESERVE to drive Benz ?
im SMH trying ta figure this one out.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Is your post dripping with Sarcasm / ie the Average Joe the Plumber also thinks he "deserves a Brand new BENZ" or ??

cuz I am at a loss to understand how you extrapolated this from what CtRob just posted before , which I clearly uderstood as " the average Joe wants a JOB & Job Security".. which the Tourism $$ should provide if people are coming by the plane load and ship load.. It takes lots of trades people to keep Hotels etc, running smoothly..

The Irony is that most plumbers in the US, DO in fact live in Mc Mansions, ( I know mine does) the guy hits me for $250 just to walk in the Door and usually its a $400 min ..
My DENTIST dont even make that kind of money most visits.

But thats not the DR..
Maybt thats the Humor you saw in it?
Or are you saying that Dominican Plumbers also DESERVE to drive Benz ?
im SMH trying ta figure this one out.

actually, he did not specify the geographic location of the average Joe. he said all the average Joe wants to do is to work and provide for his family. the average Joe wants the same thing that everyone else does. nobody said he deserved it, any more than a Bernie Madoff deserved to have been a multimillionaire.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think that it all depends on what the definition is of...brings into the economy..and I do not think that The Gorgon is correct in assuming that this figure is income to the government . No. I think is the payment of all the wages and food and electricity and other items that are paid for by the hotels as well as all the services paid for trips on buses and tourist cars by tourists either directly or via a hotal and the huge discos that each have an enormous turnover. So the expense that is not made in the DR is really only the airfare. Nearly all the other costs are incurred here in the DR and so the tourist industry generates turnover into the economy , and even with the most basic knowledge of the economic multiplier and accelerator effects. it is not difficult to see that the tourist industry DOES indeed bring into the economy $16 billion.. the figure was never meant to be a net figure to the government coffers

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think that it all depends on what the definition is of...brings into the economy..and I do not think that The Gorgon is correct in assuming that this figure is income to the government . No. I think is the payment of all the wages and food and electricity and other items that are paid for by the hotels as well as all the services paid for trips on buses and tourist cars by tourists either directly or via a hotal and the huge discos that each have an enormous turnover. So the expense that is not made in the DR is really only the airfare. Nearly all the other costs are incurred here in the DR and so the tourist industry generates turnover into the economy , and even with the most basic knowledge of the economic multiplier and accelerator effects. it is not difficult to see that the tourist industry DOES indeed bring into the economy $16 billion.. the figure was never meant to be a net figure to the government coffers

i assumed nothing. this is the statement from the press release

and now brings in more than US$16 billion a year to the economy that is more than the actual budget for the country.

16 billion per year to the economy. BRINGS IN. that means 16 billion dollars of foreign exchange into the economy. multipliers and accelerators have nothing to do with this. we are not talking about economic effects. we are talking about money moved from one economy into another.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It says no where that it is from one economy to another ..it is your assumption. and it is only your assumption that they are talking about money going to the government when you talk about leakages . No I think you are totally wrong even though you may think that you are right . and I am sure that on average , each tourist here puts $3000 into the DR economy , simple arithmetic , and that whether itgoes to the government or to a shopkeeper, a taxi driver or food merchant is not important..it still is pumped into the economy and then the wife of the person receiving some tourist dollars spends a little and then the person she buys from spends a little and the wheels of the economy go foreward .

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

Not at all true, we actually believ...sorry, lost my train of thought. You had me at "Taco Bell" and "Lambrusco."

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It says no where that it is from one economy to another ..it is your assumption. and it is only your assumption that they are talking about money going to the government when you talk about leakages . No I think you are totally wrong even though you may think that you are right . and I am sure that on average , each tourist here puts $3000 into the DR economy , simple arithmetic , and that whether itgoes to the government or to a shopkeeper, a taxi driver or food merchant is not important..it still is pumped into the economy and then the wife of the person receiving some tourist dollars spends a little and then the person she buys from spends a little and the wheels of the economy go foreward .

The article cited 16M tourists spending 16B a year. That's $1,000 per tourist, on average.

Which makes sense, when you realize most folks come with their families or Significant Others, and the average two year old probably isn't tearing through 3k over a long weekend in Punta Cana.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i am not going to argue this with you, because it is obvious that you are not very familiar with the subject, and i will just be spinning my wheels. i am a development economist by academic trainingt, and this is an area that i became very interested in, and to which idedicated great amounts of time studying. i do not think i am right. i make simple calculations, and come to my conclusions.

i have read numerous working papers on tourism development in developing countries, and the leakage figures are roughly the same...70%. if you believe that the only aspect of leakage is airfare, then i cannot discusss this with you.

go read Behind the Smile, by George Gmelch. that will be a good place to start.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Kipling, take a look at this, for starters. i can keep going on this for quite a while

http://www.caribdirect.com/tourism-effects-financial-leakage-caribbean-news/

This article written in 2013 is way of beam as far as the DR is concerned but as far as the trickle down effect is concerned , it is limited in this country and the very poor and uneducated will not receive benefits from the tourism industry ..that is because they will not or can not change their location or vocation .

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
i am not going to argue this with you, because it is obvious that you are not very familiar with the subject, and i will just be spinning my wheels. i am a development economist by academic trainingt, and this is an area that i became very interested in, and to which idedicated great amounts of time studying. i do not think i am right. i make simple calculations, and come to my conclusions.

i have read numerous working papers on tourism development in developing countries, and the leakage figures are roughly the same...70%. if you believe that the only aspect of leakage is airfare, then i cannot discusss this with you.

go read Behind the Smile, by George Gmelch. that will be a good place to start.

you are again assuming everything and you have not the slightest idea of my professional training or my professional life before I retired many years ago to the DR . If you did maybe you would be more respectful...but I prefer to stay relatively anonymous. so we will leave it at that.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

you believe that each tourist here puts 3000 dollars into the economy. on average.

you must be kidding me. i cannot believe that you can be serious that each tourist who comes on vacation to the DR starts with a discretionary amount of , say, 9000 dollars for a vacation. because, in order to spend 3000 in the economy, he will need something around 9000. the DR is based on the AI motif, so a part of the money goes to airfare, a part to tour operator fees, a part to accomodations, and so on.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you are again assuming everything and you have not the slightest idea of my professional training or my professional life before I retired many years ago to the DR . If you did maybe you would be more respectful...but I prefer to stay relatively anonymous. so we will leave it at that.

you are the guy who claims i was assuming things. i consider that to be disrespectful, because i have dedicated a great amount of time to studying this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.