Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Thinking about moving to the DR

    I was born in the DR, but I came to the U.S. as a child, and from my perspective, I'm more American than Dominican, and I've only visited only a few times.

    My father moved back to Santo Domingo 5 years ago with his retirement, and he fully owns his apartment that has both a power generator, power inverter, and a gas heater for warm water. Air conditioning is in the bedroom, but he told me that power is so expensive that he only allows it to be used at night when sleeping or when the generator is on. I'm allergic to mosquitos, but I've heard that I would eventually build some immunities. In essence, the things I take for granted is mostly there, but I would have to make a few sacrifices.

    I have my degree in Economics with more than 5 years of experience as an Analyst for a major corporation here in the U.S.

    So in essence, if I take my father's offer to live with him, what are my job prospects? Is it better to start my own business? I'm thinking that I could transfer my 401k to an IRA, and as long as I set aside money to pay the American Income Tax and IRA while working in the DR, I could potentially still retire.

    If I'm successful, I would eventually like to buy land and eventually build a house in a cheap land. I was told that I could buy land for around $30k USD if it's outside the capital.

    I can speak, read, and write in Spanish; However, it's far from prefect. I mispronounce a lot of words and my accident is more formal sounding than Dominican Spanish.

    My biggest reason to live there is to be close to family

    Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would like to be close to family, but I'm also afraid that I may not adapt to the Dominican way of life.

    Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    25,956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I suggest visiting for extended periods of time, starting with shorter stays and working your way up to longer stays as finance and work allow. Make actual observations ( write them down) on expenses, lifestyle, things you like, things you don't, and do the same for where you currently live.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We migrated to Australia three years ago and my father is a Dominican. Now he's planning to take us to DR to start a new life there. I'm not sure how is it to live in DR. But I have that everything's going to be fine.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am going to send you the e-mail address of an expert on US taxes...that is step one.

    Step 2, will be to take the advice of the earlier poster and try it for a vacation or two.
    Step 3 will be to explore your options here as opposed to "at-home" work over the internet.
    Included in this step will be visits to state institutions like BanReservas and Banco Central as well as
    the major private corporations like Vicini and Banco Popular and Banco Leon/BHD. Then the universities,
    who will require a Masters degree most probably.
    Step 4 will be to clean off the tinted glasses and take a hard look at things. Really hard look. Transportation in
    Santo Domingo is horrible. Vehicles are 2X as expensive, as is fuel. Many of the everyday things you are accustomed to
    have at hand are simply not there or difficult to find, and if found, they cost 2X or 3X more...and you become a favorite
    customer of Amazon Prime, EPS, BM, or CPS or one of the other couriers. HEalth care is another issue, so a good health plan
    is necessary and the search for your best doctors and dentists will be trying.

    Family is family. Reality is reality. Try it first on short term vacations...FOLLOW these steps...and good Luck to you.

    HB

    I have tried to send you a Private Message but it keeps bouncing back.
    Please send me a PM or an e-mail regarding how to deal with US taxes overseas.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 08-20-2015 at 07:46 AM. Reason: correct a couple of spelling errors and report on PM failure

    Moderator DR1.com

  6. Likes DRob, mountainannie liked this post
  7. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I live in Santo Domingo but before during my working life I have lived for extended periods in London, Calcutta, Melbourne, Sydney and Bogota . I also had to travel around the world extensively . All I can say is that Santo Domingo is a hybrid between a latin and african city , has just as much of Accra in it as it has Lima . I use Accra because a large number of black people originally came from that part of Africa and Lima because it was a Spanish headquarters. Electricity is not expensive and in my rather large home I have never paid more than $50 per month .
    But I do know that Dominican Yorkers have great trouble in adjusting to SD life because they keep saying that such and such a thing would not happen in the USA. But it is not too difficult to find a decent GP and a good dentist in SD and is dead easy to find a good restaurant all at much lesser prices than in NY .
    So I would give it a go and see if you can make the necessary adjustments here while keeping your options open in the USA

  8. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks all. I'll send the pm regading taxes.

    Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I am going to send you the e-mail address of an expert on US taxes...that is step one.

    Step 2, will be to take the advice of the earlier poster and try it for a vacation or two.
    Step 3 will be to explore your options here as opposed to "at-home" work over the internet.
    Included in this step will be visits to state institutions like BanReservas and Banco Central as well as
    the major private corporations like Vicini and Banco Popular and Banco Leon/BHD. Then the universities,
    who will require a Masters degree most probably.
    Step 4 will be to clean off the tinted glasses and take a hard look at things. Really hard look. Transportation in
    Santo Domingo is horrible. Vehicles are 2X as expensive, as is fuel. Many of the everyday things you are accustomed to
    have at hand are simply not there or difficult to find, and if found, they cost 2X or 3X more...and you become a favorite
    customer of Amazon Prime, EPS, BM, or CPS or one of the other couriers. HEalth care is another issue, so a good health plan
    is necessary and the search for your best doctors and dentists will be trying.

    Family is family. Reality is reality. Try it first on short term vacations...FOLLOW these steps...and good Luck to you.

    HB

    I have tried to send you a Private Message but it keeps bouncing back.
    Please send me a PM or an e-mail regarding how to deal with US taxes overseas.
    I do not have access to do pms it appears.

  10. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont007 View Post
    I do not have access to do pms it appears.
    You will after you submit ten posts.

  11. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    I live in Santo Domingo but before during my working life I have lived for extended periods in London, Calcutta, Melbourne, Sydney and Bogota . I also had to travel around the world extensively . All I can say is that Santo Domingo is a hybrid between a latin and african city , has just as much of Accra in it as it has Lima . I use Accra because a large number of black people originally came from that part of Africa and Lima because it was a Spanish headquarters. Electricity is not expensive and in my rather large home I have never paid more than $50 per month .
    But I do know that Dominican Yorkers have great trouble in adjusting to SD life because they keep saying that such and such a thing would not happen in the USA. But it is not too difficult to find a decent GP and a good dentist in SD and is dead easy to find a good restaurant all at much lesser prices than in NY .
    So I would give it a go and see if you can make the necessary adjustments here while keeping your options open in the USA
    $50/mo in electricity? How is that possible? I hear many people spending close to $300/mo.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •