Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Need Car A/C mechanic near Cabarete Center

    I have an A/C leak, refilled in March for 400 pesos at David's tire shop, now August and it's out again.
    Is the one close to Esso still ok? It'd be nice if it's walkable distance from center.
    Or can it be fixed while I wait?

    I can also bring it to Torfilco in PP if they do A/C work? That way, could wait out at la Sirena but it has to be fixed the same day.

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manüel View Post
    I have an A/C leak, refilled in March for 400 pesos at David's tire shop, now August and it's out again.
    Is the one close to Esso still ok? It'd be nice if it's walkable distance from center.
    Or can it be fixed while I wait?

    I can also bring it to Torfilco in PP if they do A/C work? That way, could wait out at la Sirena but it has to be fixed the same day.
    it depends upon what is leaking. sometimes it is a hose, and you might have to have one fabricated if there is no ready made version available. your wait will depend upon the problem.

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You can try Konstantin Baldine. He is a mechanic located on the way into Sosua Ocean Village. The entrance to his garage is just before the tennis courts. He has an electronic "sniffer" to find the source of the leak.

  4. Likes Manüel liked this post
  5. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    it depends upon what is leaking. sometimes it is a hose, and you might have to have one fabricated if there is no ready made version available. your wait will depend upon the problem.
    True, can always get it done in more than one trip, that's why it's best to get it done near the center of Cab.

  6. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    You can try Konstantin Baldine. He is a mechanic located on the way into Sosua Ocean Village. The entrance to his garage is just before the tennis courts. He has an electronic "sniffer" to find the source of the leak.
    electronic sniffer..technology has come so far. in the bad old days we used to just put dye in the system and fire it up, and shine a uv light to detect the leak.

  7. Likes bilko, rubio_higuey liked this post
  8. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    it depends upon what is leaking. sometimes it is a hose, and you might have to have one fabricated if there is no ready made version available. your wait will depend upon the problem.
    In most cases the hoses remain firm BUT the O-rings fail. R134a is an inferior refrigerant but DuPont held the patent and it was easy to use in existing system when a replacement was needed.

    Some cars have faulty components apart from hoses that are the cause of leaks, the evaporator maybe leaking and you would smell the refrigerant inside the car.

    Then you have cars with collision damage that have compromised AC integrity.

    Most likely O-ring failure but if they have to be replaced you must use vinyl nitrile(green) or neoprene(blue), black(rubber) O-rings wont work with R134a and will leak out post haste.

  9. #7
    Gold
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    You can try Konstantin Baldine. He is a mechanic located on the way into Sosua Ocean Village. The entrance to his garage is just before the tennis courts. He has an electronic "sniffer" to find the source of the leak.
    He is fixing our transmission now, only mechanic we have used in the last year. He is a bass player too

    Good guy.

  10. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,913
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There used to be two brothers operating from a small garage on the right on the way to cab just after The Rosa supermarket.

    It looks messy but they have always done a good job for me.I have one car AC still working 2 years after the last repair there.

  11. Likes Manüel liked this post
  12. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Went to El Mello, fixed it right away, just waited there. Changed all o-rings, one hose, cleaned up cabin evaporator, replaced filter. Had 3-4 guys working on it at times (took apart dash and center console.

    They are now located in front of the ayutamiento. Lots of cars there, more than David's Tire Shop. They fix AC but also alternator and other things. Quite crafty and good with tools. I can't comment on how long their repairs last but they aren't opposed to install parts previously bought somewhere (to get quality parts).

    They aren't walking distance from the center (across from Nino the car body shop) but quite close.

  13. Likes beeza liked this post
  14. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,746
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manüel View Post
    Went to El Mello, fixed it right away, just waited there. Changed all o-rings, one hose, cleaned up cabin evaporator, replaced filter. Had 3-4 guys working on it at times (took apart dash and center console.

    They are now located in front of the ayutamiento. Lots of cars there, more than David's Tire Shop. They fix AC but also alternator and other things. Quite crafty and good with tools. I can't comment on how long their repairs last but they aren't opposed to install parts previously bought somewhere (to get quality parts).

    They aren't walking distance from the center (across from Nino the car body shop) but quite close.
    I've used Mello a few times. They're quite good with vehicle A/C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •