Need Car A/C mechanic near Cabarete Center

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
I have an A/C leak, refilled in March for 400 pesos at David's tire shop, now August and it's out again.
Is the one close to Esso still ok? It'd be nice if it's walkable distance from center.
Or can it be fixed while I wait?

I can also bring it to Torfilco in PP if they do A/C work? That way, could wait out at la Sirena but it has to be fixed the same day.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have an A/C leak, refilled in March for 400 pesos at David's tire shop, now August and it's out again.
Is the one close to Esso still ok? It'd be nice if it's walkable distance from center.
Or can it be fixed while I wait?

I can also bring it to Torfilco in PP if they do A/C work? That way, could wait out at la Sirena but it has to be fixed the same day.

it depends upon what is leaking. sometimes it is a hose, and you might have to have one fabricated if there is no ready made version available. your wait will depend upon the problem.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You can try Konstantin Baldine. He is a mechanic located on the way into Sosua Ocean Village. The entrance to his garage is just before the tennis courts. He has an electronic "sniffer" to find the source of the leak.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
it depends upon what is leaking. sometimes it is a hose, and you might have to have one fabricated if there is no ready made version available. your wait will depend upon the problem.

True, can always get it done in more than one trip, that's why it's best to get it done near the center of Cab.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You can try Konstantin Baldine. He is a mechanic located on the way into Sosua Ocean Village. The entrance to his garage is just before the tennis courts. He has an electronic "sniffer" to find the source of the leak.

electronic sniffer..technology has come so far. in the bad old days we used to just put dye in the system and fire it up, and shine a uv light to detect the leak.

Apr 7, 2014

In most cases the hoses remain firm BUT the O-rings fail. R134a is an inferior refrigerant but DuPont held the patent and it was easy to use in existing system when a replacement was needed.

Some cars have faulty components apart from hoses that are the cause of leaks, the evaporator maybe leaking and you would smell the refrigerant inside the car.

Then you have cars with collision damage that have compromised AC integrity.

Most likely O-ring failure but if they have to be replaced you must use vinyl nitrile(green) or neoprene(blue), black(rubber) O-rings wont work with R134a and will leak out post haste.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
There used to be two brothers operating from a small garage on the right on the way to cab just after The Rosa supermarket.

It looks messy but they have always done a good job for me.I have one car AC still working 2 years after the last repair there.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Went to El Mello, fixed it right away, just waited there. Changed all o-rings, one hose, cleaned up cabin evaporator, replaced filter. Had 3-4 guys working on it at times (took apart dash and center console.

They are now located in front of the ayutamiento. Lots of cars there, more than David's Tire Shop. They fix AC but also alternator and other things. Quite crafty and good with tools. I can't comment on how long their repairs last but they aren't opposed to install parts previously bought somewhere (to get quality parts).

They aren't walking distance from the center (across from Nino the car body shop) but quite close.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Went to El Mello, fixed it right away, just waited there. Changed all o-rings, one hose, cleaned up cabin evaporator, replaced filter. Had 3-4 guys working on it at times (took apart dash and center console.

They are now located in front of the ayutamiento. Lots of cars there, more than David's Tire Shop. They fix AC but also alternator and other things. Quite crafty and good with tools. I can't comment on how long their repairs last but they aren't opposed to install parts previously bought somewhere (to get quality parts).

They aren't walking distance from the center (across from Nino the car body shop) but quite close.

I've used Mello a few times. They're quite good with vehicle A/C.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
One o-ring failed after only 1-month, they wanted 1,500 to cover the cost of parts (refrigerant), told them that was crazy and that I paid without discussing the first time, should be covered under "warranty." They were fine with a 1,000. Just thought I'd update.